Run by Smartscreen utility

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi I was testing RBS v4.0.0.1 using adwcleaner.exe on my desktop running Win 11 Pro.

1648392945208.png

When I RBS, Smartscreen kicks in and the file is being analyzed in the WhitelistCloud. If I just leave it the analyzing seems infinitely ongoing and after a certain time the 2 screens just faded off without activating adwcleaner. Is this normal? Or should it be that after the Whitelisting is completed, the adwcleaner.exe file should open?

Another app, OOAPB.exe, also the same.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi I was testing RBS v4.0.0.1 using adwcleaner.exe on my desktop running Win 11 Pro.
When I RBS, Smartscreen kicks in and the file is being analyzed in the WhitelistCloud. If I just leave it the analyzing seems infinitely ongoing and after a certain time the 2 screens just faded off without activating adwcleaner. Is this normal? Or should it be that after the Whitelisting is completed, the adwcleaner.exe file should open?

The WhitelistCloud feature prevents RunBySmartscreen from running the adwcleaner.
It can be also that WhitelistCloud blocks just adwcleaner - you can check it by running adwcleaner without RunBySmartscreen.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The WhitelistCloud feature prevents RunBySmartscreen from running the adwcleaner.
It can be also that WhitelistCloud blocks just adwcleaner - you can check it by running adwcleaner without RunBySmartscreen.
Yes, I can run adwcleaner without RBS. So there's some sort of incompatibility between RBS and WhitelistCloud?

One question. Can RBS be automated to detect the downloads from the net rather than as on-demand?

Thanks

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I use H_C with "Install by Smartscreen", what are the difference between the 2?
There are several differences - they are explained in the help for the option <Forced SmartScreen>.
The main differences are as follows:
  • "Install By SmartScreen" is used only for EXE and MSI files. Depending on SRP settings it can run EXE/MSI files with standard or high privileges to safely bypass SRP restrictions. Other unsafe file types are blocked by SRP.
  • "Run By Smartscreen" works independently of SRP. It can be considered an "on-demand" file checking for unknown files. The EXE/MSI/SCR/COM files are checked by SmartScreen and automatically executed if recognized as safe. Other files with unsafe extensions (over 250 file types) are not executed and the alert is shown.
    Safe files like media files, photos, videos, etc. are opened without checking and alerts.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
There are several differences - they are explained in the help for the option <Forced SmartScreen>.
The main differences are as follows:
  • "Install By SmartScreen" is used only for EXE and MSI files. Depending on SRP settings it can run EXE/MSI files with standard or high privileges to safely bypass SRP restrictions. Other unsafe file types are blocked by SRP.
  • "Run By Smartscreen" works independently of SRP. It can be considered an "on-demand" file checking for unknown files. The EXE/MSI/SCR/COM files are checked by SmartScreen and automatically executed if recognized as safe. Other files with unsafe extensions (over 250 file types) are not executed and the alert is shown.
    Safe files like media files, photos, videos, etc. are opened without checking and alerts.

Interesting. Why is not Run by implemented in H_C instead of Install by?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kongo

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Would be appreciated if you could update your first post in this thread with the updated version of Run By SmartScreen :) @Andy Ful
Thanks. I have rewritten and shortened the OP. The idea of RunBySmartscreen is very simple and I think that it is now properly reflected in the OP. The details are included on GitHub.:)(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.