64-bit operating system; x64-based processor
    Security Updates
    Automatic Updates (recommended)
    User Access Control
    Always Notify
    Network Security (Firewall)
    3rd-party Firewall app by a trusted vendor
    Device Security
  • Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
  • User Account
    Administrator
    Sign-in Accounts
    Google (@gmail.com)
    Sign-in Options
  • Password
  • Malware Testing
    I do not participate in downloading malware samples
    Real-time Web & Malware Protection
    Windows Defender with Hard_Configurator
    Comodo Firewall
    RTP - Custom security settings
  • Minor changes for Increased security
  • RTP - Details of Custom security settings
    Windows Defender with some SRP rules
    H_C: EXE and TMP allowed
    CFW: ComodoFix config
    Windows firewall is enabled.
    Virus and Malware Removal Tools
    --
    Browsers and Extensions
    Chrome, Edge
    Privacy-focused Apps and Extensions
    uBlock Origin
    Password Managers
  • Bitwarden
  • Web Search
  • Google
  • System Utilities
    Hard_Configurator
    Data Backup
    Dropbox
    OneDrive
    GoogleDrive
    Frequency of Data backups
    Weekly
    System Backup
    Macrium Reflect
    Frequency of System backups
    Regularly
    Computer Activity
  • Online banking
  • Browsing web and email
  • Install new programs on a weekly basis
  • Shared device is used by family members
  • Download files from different sources
  • Office and work related tasks
  • Computer Specifications
    i5 6500
    integrated graphics
    8 gb ram
    SSD

blackice

Level 11
    Verified
    Unfortunately, Kaspersky's behavior is not quite as consistent as I would hope for. I have a certain program with a firewall block rule, and every once in a while, like tonight for instance, it somehow manages to connect to the internet anyways, causing my whole system to freeze and the program itself to deactivate. So it looks like I am back to:
    Windows Defender with ConfigureDefender
    Windows Software Restriction Policies with Hard_Configurator

Keep it simple, keep it safe!

blackice

Level 11
    Verified
    I am considering going back to WD after Sophos deleted Configure Defender while my router was rebooting. To be fair it put it back once I got the internet back and it did cloud analysis.

shmu26

Level 83
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    Default-allow setup has <Default Security Level> = Unrestricted. This forces PowerShell to Full Language Mode
    And what happens if I set the Windows environment variable PSLockdownPolicy 4 ? Does "Unrestricted" override the Windows environment variable?

Reactions: oldschool

shmu26

Level 83
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    Manjaro with the default Xfce desktop.

Manjaro keeps the OS and applications very up to date, and since it is Arch, you don't have the security issues of PPAs and/or installing from random downloads like you do with Ubuntu and its forks.

Manjaro requires more troubleshooting and software installation skills than Ubuntu and its forks do, but the forum is helpful and friendly, and google finds a lot of info on Manjaro and Arch.

shmu26

Level 83
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    Back to Windows. It's too much work juggling Linux + Windows in a virtual machine, when Windows alone does everything I need. It's less glamorous this way, but KISS wins.
    Windows Defender + Hard_Configurator with EXE and TMP allowed.
    Comodo Firewall with ComodoFix config and Windows firewall enabled.

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 29
    Verified
    Back to Windows. It's too much work juggling Linux + Windows in a virtual machine, when Windows alone does everything I need. It's less glamorous this way, but KISS wins.
    Unless I'm missing something with the Comodofix Config, you have two Firewalls running correct?

~LDogg

shmu26

Level 83
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    Unless I'm missing something with the Comodofix Config, you have two Firewalls running correct?

~LDogg
    Correct :)
    If you don't have an advanced firewall config, CFW and WFW work well together. That's what @cruelsister always says, and it's true.
    My CFW has the 3 exceptions of Comodofix Config, and my WFW has the recommended block rules of Hard_Configurator, and it works smoothly.

Explanation: with ComodoFix config, CFW is at less than full strength in system space (this is in order to avoid a slew of unnecessary network blocks), so that's why it is advisable not to disable WFW.

Last edited:

Glynn

Level 2
    I find that windows inside virtualbox does not want to activate when connected to the internet, any way to solve that issue?

shmu26

Level 83
    Verified
    Trusted
    Content Creator
    I find that windows inside virtualbox does not want to activate when connected to the internet, any way to solve that issue?
    Hmm, I don't know, I didn't have any activation problems. If you are using a single license, keep in mind that the VM is considered a different machine, and thus needs a different license.
    If you have a volume license installation, it will work even without any activation at all, but you can't do certain customizations, such as choose your wallpaper.
    That's about all I know about it.

again? you play ping-pong lol.
    why not, like me, having one machine for Linux and one for Windows...will save you time...
    Hi Umbra, it's great to see you active once again on MT! :)
    Yes, I am guilty of ping pong, but with Macrium Reflect, ping pong is a pretty easy game to play. Sometimes I need to fix grub, that's all.