Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Does configure defender work good in W10 1903 ? and what profile to choose in configure defender
@oldschool has it nailed for maximum security and usability.
If you experience software blocks, or it impacts system performance, you can disable certain settings. But try with those settings and see if it's good for you.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Unfortunately, Kaspersky's behavior is not quite as consistent as I would hope for. I have a certain program with a firewall block rule, and every once in a while, like tonight for instance, it somehow manages to connect to the internet anyways, causing my whole system to freeze and the program itself to deactivate. So it looks like I am back to:
Windows Defender with ConfigureDefender
Windows Software Restriction Policies with Hard_Configurator

Keep it simple, keep it safe!

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I am considering going back to WD after Sophos deleted Configure Defender while my router was rebooting. To be fair it put it back once I got the internet back and it did cloud analysis.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Default-allow setup has <Default Security Level> = Unrestricted. This forces PowerShell to Full Language Mode
And what happens if I set the Windows environment variable PSLockdownPolicy 4 ? Does "Unrestricted" override the Windows environment variable?

Reactions: oldschool

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Manjaro with the default Xfce desktop.

Manjaro keeps the OS and applications very up to date, and since it is Arch, you don't have the security issues of PPAs and/or installing from random downloads like you do with Ubuntu and its forks.

Manjaro requires more troubleshooting and software installation skills than Ubuntu and its forks do, but the forum is helpful and friendly, and google finds a lot of info on Manjaro and Arch.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Back to Windows. It's too much work juggling Linux + Windows in a virtual machine, when Windows alone does everything I need. It's less glamorous this way, but KISS wins.
Windows Defender + Hard_Configurator with EXE and TMP allowed.
Comodo Firewall with ComodoFix config and Windows firewall enabled.

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Back to Windows. It's too much work juggling Linux + Windows in a virtual machine, when Windows alone does everything I need. It's less glamorous this way, but KISS wins.
Unless I'm missing something with the Comodofix Config, you have two Firewalls running correct?

~LDogg

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Unless I'm missing something with the Comodofix Config, you have two Firewalls running correct?

~LDogg
Correct :)
If you don't have an advanced firewall config, CFW and WFW work well together. That's what @cruelsister always says, and it's true.
My CFW has the 3 exceptions of Comodofix Config, and my WFW has the recommended block rules of Hard_Configurator, and it works smoothly.

Explanation: with ComodoFix config, CFW is at less than full strength in system space (this is in order to avoid a slew of unnecessary network blocks), so that's why it is advisable not to disable WFW.

Last edited:

Glynn

Level 2
Verified
Aug 16, 2017
I find that windows inside virtualbox does not want to activate when connected to the internet, any way to solve that issue?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I find that windows inside virtualbox does not want to activate when connected to the internet, any way to solve that issue?
Hmm, I don't know, I didn't have any activation problems. If you are using a single license, keep in mind that the VM is considered a different machine, and thus needs a different license.
If you have a volume license installation, it will work even without any activation at all, but you can't do certain customizations, such as choose your wallpaper.
That's about all I know about it.

again? you play ping-pong lol.
why not, like me, having one machine for Linux and one for Windows...will save you time...
Hi Umbra, it's great to see you active once again on MT! :)
Yes, I am guilty of ping pong, but with Macrium Reflect, ping pong is a pretty easy game to play. Sometimes I need to fix grub, that's all.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.