Question Should I block Outbound Connections only for LOLBins if I have Anti-exe?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Azazel

Level 5
Thread author
Jun 15, 2023
Is it sufficient? According to cruelsister outbound blocking is an important security measure.
By blocking LOLBins and untrusted Exes by anti-exe protection, effectively stops programs from connecting outwards.

Edit: For Example, Comodo Firewall blocks by Ile Rating.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
While blocking outbound connections for LOLBins and untrusted exes can be a good additional security measure, it is not a foolproof method on its own. While it may prevent certain malicious programs from establishing malicious connections, there are various techniques that attackers can use to bypass these protections. Therefore, it is important to have a multi-layered approach to security, including a combination of anti-exe protection, network firewalls, endpoint security solutions, and regular software updates and patching.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Is it sufficient? According to cruelsister outbound blocking is an important security measure.
By blocking LOLBins and untrusted Exes by anti-exe protection, effectively stops programs from connecting outwards.

Edit: For Example, Comodo Firewall blocks by Ile Rating.
In terms of security and privacy, it’s better to block outbound connections in general for all apps what you don’t like to allow (common software, LOLBins or Windows apps like searchUI…exe). Of course, at first it’s a huge annoyance to deal with notifications from your firewall software, but no problem after a few days it’s almost quiet 😉

Edit: what is your firewall software? Comodo or Windows Firewall Control (according to your config...)

Last edited:

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
@Azazel

there is a nice thread found here:

for a Windows Firewall setup at Default deny, with specific rules on only what is required to connect out/in. You should, I would think, be able to apply those rules to any software firewall setup.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Windows Firewall.
I am most interested in blocking malicious outbound connections than privacy related connections.
In case you meant malicious outbound connections to C&C servers, then your AV does the main job and you can setup a good DNS service what does block known C&C servers.
For LOLBins, every year again even "new" LOLBins are abused in the wild... so it's better to block outbound connections for all files you don't need connected to the internet.

Azazel

Level 5
Thread author
Jun 15, 2023
@Azazel

there is a nice thread found here:

for a Windows Firewall setup at Default deny, with specific rules on only what is required to connect out/in. You should, I would think, be able to apply those rules to any software firewall setup.
I prefer either an automate way (Avast Firewall) or one with notifications such as Windows Firewall Control to be aware of each outbound connection and easy to read list of dropped packets.

Azazel

Level 5
Thread author
Jun 15, 2023
In case you meant malicious outbound connections to C&C servers, then your AV does the main job and you can setup a good DNS service what does block known C&C servers.
For LOLBins, every year again even "new" LOLBins are abused in the wild... so it's better to block outbound connections for all files you don't need connected to the internet.
C&C servers and connections to download payloads.

Reactions: silversurfer

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.