Battle Should i use syshardener or hard configurator?

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i am unskilled at PC's.

i got 1 virus, my ISP EMAIL spoofed and some one bought a PC under my name on my newegg.com account twice in a little over 1 year.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Only way to prevent problems in the long run is learn to improve your skill with pc stuff. You got a great forum to do that here :D
Some ideas:
Upload any executable file to virustotal.com before clicking on it (even that is not 100%), use a different passwords on each website, use a popup-blocker, update your os and such stuff, never click on links in mails and so on.
Better change your newegg account on clean pc.
Umbra's Concept of Layered Config

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
This could be the poll about: Is it better (healthier) to be the orthodox Jew (only kosher meat allowed) or maybe a Vegan (meat not allowed). The first is restricted default-allow, the second is default-deny.
Those programs are very different and are hardly comparable. SysHardener is restricted default-allow setup and Hard_Configurator is a default-deny setup. Most of Hard_Configurator setup is based on SRP which is absent in SysHardener. Hard_Configurator applies only those hardening settings that are suited to work with SRP. SysHardener applies much more hardening because it is not default-deny.
I do not recommend configuring security setup via Hard_Configurator to inexperienced users (I am a developer of this tool). They can use the Hard_Configurator setup, after configuration made by an advanced user. Inexperienced users will have problems with whitelisting some applications on the run or when they will try to update from the User Space.
SysHardener is another kind of software. It is much less restrictive for the normal applications (not default-deny). The problem for inexperienced users will be with the silent blocking of some legitimate programs.
If you are an advanced user who likes the strength of default-deny security then choose Hard_Configurator.
If you are a semi-advanced (at least) user who likes system hardening with default-allow security, then choose SysHardener (or maybe OSArmor).

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
i am unskilled at PC's.

i got 1 virus, my ISP EMAIL spoofed and some one bought a PC under my name on my newegg.com account twice in a little over 1 year.
I think that your problem can be not with AV and system hardening, but maybe with your browser, browser extensions, browsing habits and local network.
What browser do you use?
Have you installed an ad-blocker?
Do you use something like safe DNS?
Do you visit web pages with cracks, pirated software, etc.?
Do you use your computer only in the home network or also in public networks.?
Do you share your home network with other people?
Do other people have access to your computer?
Furthermore, it would be better (and safer) for you, just using two separate Windows accounts. One for daily tasks (Standard User Account), and the second only for shopping.
You can also change Avast settings to apply Hardened Aggressive mode, for the better security. But then, do not bypass it when installing the new applications.(y)

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't know much about SysHardener or Hard_Configurator, but I don't see how it's going to help you anyway.
i am unskilled at PC's.

Social engineering / Phishing / Scams. You need to learn about them. An AV won't prevent you from entering your password into a fake login page.

If you can distinguish between what's real and fake, you might have a better chance. The more sophisticated attacks are harder to catch, but there are ways to minimise the risk of exposure.. starting with the web browser, how you use it, the extensions installed and user knowledge.

It's all about self-educating yourself, otherwise you're going to fall victim again.. And you don't need a PC or be Online to get your ID stolen.

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
What browser do you use? now i use opera. before i used firefox.

Have you installed an ad-blocker? yes. avira browser safety.
before i had adguard on default settings.

Do you use something like safe DNS? i don't know what that is.
Do you visit web pages with cracks, pirated software, etc.? no. i just shop and answer gmail.

Do you use your computer only in the home network or also in public networks.? home.
Do you share your home network with other people? yes. my sister.

Do other people have access to your computer? no.

You can also change Avast settings to apply Hardened Aggressive mode, for the better security. But then, do not bypass it when installing the new applications. i got rid of avast. i think it was buggy. i use windows defender, voodooshield with out the off line AV and zemana pro.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
Social engineering / Phishing / Scams. You need to learn about them. An AV won't prevent you from entering your password into a fake login page. i clicked on a coupon link on youtube comments. i forgot to check out the link with a link anti-virus.

If you can distinguish between what's real and fake, you might have a better chance. The more sophisticated attacks are harder to catch, but there are ways to minimise the risk of exposure.. starting with the web browser, how you use it, the extensions installed and user knowledge. i was not a victim of social engineering.

thank you all. i got the info i wanted. i will use syshardener.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.