simplewall - A tool to configure Windows Filtering Platform

Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
@henrypp Why do i get notifications for applications that are already in the allowed or blocked list? Only way to stop them is disabling notifications for them but why it's happening?
Here:
Allowed apps, no notifications at all > "Disabled notifications" unchecked.
Blocked apps, no notifications at all > "Disabled notifications" checked.

For the latter, I get the rationale behind as: a blocked program trying to connect outbound should be notified to the user as many times as it attempts to, for many reasons, unless the user not wants to. Just like me, hehe.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Here:
Allowed apps, no notifications at all > "Disabled notifications" unchecked.
Blocked apps, no notifications at all > "Disabled notifications" checked.

For the latter, I get the rationale behind as: a blocked program trying to connect outbound should be notified to the user as many times as it attempts to, for many reasons, unless the user not wants to. Just like me, hehe.
It makes no sense to notify me when i have a rule to block but i see what you are saying. I should have an option in gui that is saying don't notify me for blocked apps. Anw now that i know i only have to do it for blocked apps i put them all in don't notify and we will see if i get notifications again.

Last edited:

Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
It makes no sense to notify me when i have a rule to block but i see what you are saying. I should have an option in gui that is saying don't notify me for blocked apps. Anw now that i know i only have to do it for blocked apps i put them all in don't notify and we will see if i get notifications again.
Well there's a tray notification when a program is attempting outbound connections:

block01.png

henrypp

Level 1
Verified
Aug 24, 2017
@henrypp Why do i get notifications for applications that are already in the allowed or blocked list? Only way to stop them is disabling notifications for them but why it's happening?
simplewall process notifications for all blocked apps and displays only without "Disable notifications" flag (whatewer checked app in list or not).
It may happen because of app trying to connect to ip contained in blocklist when blocklist are enabled. Same with custom rules.
At this time no way to do not show notifications except "Disable notifications" flag and disable entire notifications in settings.

T

The paranoid one

I have very bad luck. :(
After a clean installation, I configured my programs and finally I installed Simplewall and at the time of applying the filters my computer has been blocked. now it is very slow and with a high CPU consumption. I have managed to uninstall it, but I think I have to reformat it. Any ideas?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
simplewall process notifications for all blocked apps and displays only without "Disable notifications" flag (whatewer checked app in list or not).
It may happen because of app trying to connect to ip contained in blocklist when blocklist are enabled. Same with custom rules.
At this time no way to do not show notifications except "Disable notifications" flag and disable entire notifications in settings.
I don't have blocklist enabled i assume neither have any custom rules so it's a bug? Disable notification seems to work but if it should be fixed because the average user will not bother figuring out the issue when it's spammed by alerts and will uninstall.
CntBH6N.png

After a clean installation, I configured my programs and finally I installed Simplewall and at the time of applying the filters my computer has been blocked. now it is very slow and with a high CPU consumption. I have managed to uninstall it, but I think I have to reformat it. Any ideas?
It's a firewall how would it do that and lets say it did it and you uninstall there would no longer be any wfp filtering so it wouldn't keep creating an issue? Most probably your problem is in some other place.
Did you check what is using cpu?

T

The paranoid one

I
It's a firewall how would it do that and lets say it did it and you uninstall there would no longer be any wfp filtering so it wouldn't keep creating an issue? Most probably your problem is in some other place.
Did you check what is using cpu?
Yes, thanks for replying :) , after three reboots it seems to go better. I searched with Everything and there seems to be no trace on my computer. I do not know the reason, but when the computer was blocked the consumption was 100%, in the following restarts it has gone down to usual dimensions.
It was hung on the step informing about disable windows firewall installing filters

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Yes, thanks for replying :) , after three reboots it seems to go better. I searched with Everything and there seems to be no trace on my computer. I do not know the reason, but when the computer was blocked the consumption was 100%, in the following restarts it has gone down to usual dimensions.
It was hung on the step informing about disable windows firewall installing filters
That was one scary issue. Glad its solved!

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Then disable the firewall on your own before you run simplewall and see if that helps.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
@henrypp Notifications are still broken. I had a notification an hour ago which i replied to but because before you allow or block something you might get multiple notifications one was still around and every time i hovered above the simplewall gui it showed the notification windows. I have the 10 second timeout which did nothing and could only see the notification when i hovered over the gui. Btw i couldn't see the notification in any other way.

henrypp

Level 1
Verified
Aug 24, 2017
No. simplewall does not change any configuration and do not hang out system, uses less than 15MB memory and 0.01% CPU.

I don't have blocklist enabled i assume neither have any custom rules so it's a bug? Disable notification seems to work but if it should be fixed because the average user will not bother figuring out the issue when it's spammed by alerts and will uninstall.
Tell me all. What notifications says is filter name? Any special rules applied? Let me see screenshots of notification window and main. Prefer PM.

Notifications are still broken
i hovered above the simplewall gui it showed the notification windows
If you hover tray icon and notifications window showed there are NOTHING is broken. You need to do something with apps in notifications, press allow or block button and apps wiil let go and nothing will be displayed. Thats all.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
@henrypp The application was this and it was the normal notification windows. I don't have a picture of it and no special rules applied.
tc1CobA.png

If you hover tray icon and notifications window showed there are NOTHING is broken. You need to do something with apps in notifications, press allow or block button and apps wiil let go and nothing will be displayed. Thats all.
But we have the notification timeout so after 10 seconds it should no longer show anything. So you just hide the notification when 10 sec pass and i still have to take action? The way it should work is that if i don't reply in 10 seconds it blocks it and i have to go in settings to allow it.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
When you use this applications windows 10 store app and most default store applications stop functioning. Anything that can be done?
Can you enable the option "Allow inbound connections for all" and see if the store apps work. Not permanently ofcourse, just for testing. I had issues too with new version and went back to 1.6.5.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.