simplewall - A tool to configure Windows Filtering Platform

Jun 13, 2018
Thanks for the info. How do all other apps which need root, av, firewalls etc do this but this app can't?

AFAIK the "GUI" runs separately from the service. At least the programs I have here like MalwareBytes do it that way. I can kill the GUI without admin privileges but the service spawns it again a few seconds later unless you give UAC permission to quit. I'm not a security expert or developer but I think ideally you shold run the GUI as admin since otherwise non privileged apps could interact with it.

Reactions: henrypp

fredgo

Level 1
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
AFAIK the "GUI" runs separately from the service. At least the programs I have here like MalwareBytes do it that way. I can kill the GUI without admin privileges but the service spawns it again a few seconds later unless you give UAC permission to quit. I'm not a security expert or developer but I think ideally you shold run the GUI as admin since otherwise non privileged apps could interact with it.
Great info, thanks!
Sadly I need a firewall and a light one and no admin password stored for users, so I'll have to drop back to TinyWall, which somehow manages the same thing but without asking for admin every time. I'll keep an eye on this project!

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
@henrypp
Hello,
Does SimpleWall has coin miner inbuilt? I have high CPU usage when using SimpleWall:emoji_innocent: if it has smth pls let us know lol

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Could be a settings thing
I just used the default settings + some newly created rules to limit some google chrome's unneeded connections and commonly used apps
anyway, not a good sign for a firewall app which is supposed to use 0-1% of CPU most of the time, regardless of the settings
hope there would be a fix for that

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
simplewall constantly uses a certain amount of CPU, ~5-15%, nonstop

I don't know what the culprit is

there are some problems with certain process, at this moment I don't have enough time to inspect it. but if it has nothing to do with disabling notification feature then I'm pretty sure there are some problems in blocking certain processes. & it doesn't necessarily happen to be a system process.

realbabilu

Aug 26, 2018
I move to simplewall, since tinywall seems not updated to 1800 windows except from third party mods.
simplewall seems made protected view office 2016 failed to open docs, I need to turn off and turn it again to fix the problem.
can it updated to made windows 10 aware I had made firewall on with this simplewall. any leak test yet?

Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
simplewall v2.3.6 (16 October 2018)
simplewall
Download
Changelog
sha256 checksum
  • added purgen submenu into tray menu
  • added more statusbar information
  • set extra large icons view by default
  • tray menu services counting bug
  • fixed app with overdue timer still enabled on profile load
  • fixed resetting some data on profile load
  • fixed timer resetting on profie load
  • fixed listview checkboxes
  • cosmetic fixes
  • fixed bugs

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
simplewall disables Windows Firewall when it applies its own filters so it's not possible to run both at the same time.
I tried it before reading your post and I found out that it actually let you choose whether to disable WF or not.
Simplewall works like Sphinx-soft W10FC: they create their own rules by using WFP, but these rules are disjoined from WF rules.

Sphinx-soft made a very clear statement about rules precedences:
- to block a connection you just need a blocking rule in either WF or WFP
- to allow a connection you need an allow rule on both WF and WFP

So, you need to set WF to allow any outgoing request and use W10FC/Simplewall to block what you wanna block. Even if an app adds an allow rule in WF, you can block that app by W10FC/Simplewall popup (thus creating a block rule)

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.