By Staff Site Issues and Feedback

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I was planing on bringing this issue up early but decided against do so.
After viewing a post I seen today, I decided I should in terms of user privacy on this site.

Scan logs which users submit on here to get help from those selected few be it malware related or other.
Is it in the best interest of a users privacy to have any registered member on this site view or access to these files
or is better to restrict these logs to select few who are authorized to help these users?
I suspect what thread/s you have in mind, and that was not a normal case as so called scan logs are supposed to be submitted in a complete different section and if you try open anyone of those forum attached files as a guest, it won't work.

Some members might by accident submit logs as attachments in sections on MT that we want to avoid start restrict features, because it would negative effect the general experience. The solution is to simply use the report option that is available in all posts.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Unnecessary empty spaces below comments.
1.png2.PNG3.PNG

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
The timings given on threads are not accurate, or chronological, it seems to me. In the attached example the post by @danb supposedly happened before mine. I made mine yesterday and I believe he made his today. I am in UTC 0, adjusted for DST +1. I viewed the post at 15.35, I'm not sure how anyone can be posting after me, according to the timestamps displayed, yet supposedly did so before me today. Time travel might exist in the MT world. Don't tell the Time Lords! I am a mere human, its possible that I don't understand the realms or planes that time travellers exist in.

MT timestamps.PNG

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
This is how it looks today. I can't see any issues.
2021-05-18-09-05-01.png
I've checked on a couple of other forums and post timestamps appear in chronological order on them. I opened the same thread page in Brave and the timestamps are as shown in your screenshot.

I use Firefox as my main browser, there may be some bug in Firefox, or an extension, where the MT forum gets wrong timestamps. When I get time I'lllook to see if there are any mentions online of Firefox causing similar issues. This is on a PC which has had a very recent re-install of Win 10 and the software, there isn't much of the latter on it currently and I've not made many tweaks. I'm wondering if an AdGuard setting may have caused this. Thanks for checking it out. I'm pretty sure this is a new issue as I'm sure that I'd have noticed it previously, I first noticed it a few days ago.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've checked on a couple of other forums and post timestamps appear in chronological order on them. I opened the same thread page in Brave and the timestamps are as shown in your screenshot.

I use Firefox as my main browser, there may be some bug in Firefox, or an extension, where the MT forum gets wrong timestamps. When I get time I'lllook to see if there are any mentions online of Firefox causing similar issues. This is on a PC which has had a very recent re-install of Win 10 and the software, there isn't much of the latter on it currently and I've not made many tweaks. I'm wondering if an AdGuard setting may have caused this. Thanks for checking it out. I'm pretty sure this is a new issue as I'm sure that I'd have noticed it previously, I first noticed it a few days ago.
On another thread I'm seeing 'later today' timestamps, as if I can see into the future (I can't before any requests are made for winning lottery numbers!). While at the same time I have seemingly liked these comments in the future before returning to what I believe(d) is the real time. This screen shot was taken at about 10.15 am UTC +1.MT timestamps 3.PNG

Edit - added link - Windows 10 offers ransomware protection – but should you use it?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
On another thread I'm seeing 'later today' timestamps, as if I can see into the future (I can't before any requests are made for winning lottery numbers!). While at the same time I have seemingly liked these comments in the future before returning to what I believe(d) is the real time. This screen shot was taken at about 10.15 am UTC +1.View attachment 258174

Edit - added link - Windows 10 offers ransomware protection – but should you use it?
Which web browser and extensions are you using?

Have you tried visiting the link Incognito, and do you get the same results?

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Which web browser and extensions are you using?

Have you tried visiting the link Incognito, and do you get the same results?
"I opened the same thread page in Brave and the timestamps are as shown in your (upnorth) screenshot.

I use Firefox as my main browser, there may be some bug in Firefox, or an extension, where the MT forum gets wrong timestamps. When I get time I'lllook to see if there are any mentions online of Firefox causing similar issues. This is on a PC which has had a very recent re-install of Win 10 and the software, there isn't much of the latter on it currently and I've not made many tweaks. I'm wondering if an AdGuard setting may have caused this."

In a FF private window the timestamps are as you would expect them to be in chronological order, as it was in Brave. I disabled extensions in a normal FF window but the timestamps were still messed up. I'm ruling out my earlier thought that it might be a AdGuard setting as Brave and FF private windows are not affected in the same way. I suspect it is Firefox, but can't work out what is causing it. I have only got NoScript, ClearURLs and BitWarden extentions enabled.

Edit - I've just visited a couple of other forums using FF in normal mode with extensions enabled and the timestamps are in chronological order, as they were when I tried this earlier today. That is not a scientific survey by any means, so it is possible that other sites may show timestamps in a muddled order, so far I've only noticed it with MT.

ng4ever

Level 16
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
From my location, there are no issues, but I'll keep my eye on the monitoring tool. If it happens again just let me know and I'll check with our hosting provider. We had almost a month with 0 downtime.

View attachment 258623

Ok np. May just be a routing issue on my end but all other sites worked fine when I tested them after MalwareTips was unresponsive.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Site was unavailable for me:
1626293365862.png

Code:
nslookup malwaretips.com
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  fd00::de39:6fff:fee7:884d

*** malwaretips.com was not found by UnKnown: No response from server.

Code:
ping malwaretips.com

Ping is executed for malwaretips.com [66.165.231.242] with 32 bytes of data:
Response from 66.165.231.242: Bytes=32 Time=166ms TTL=54
Reply from 66.165.231.242: Bytes=32 Time=165ms TTL=54
Reply from 66.165.231.242: Bytes=32 Time=164ms TTL=54
Reply from 66.165.231.242: Bytes=32 Time=165ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 66.165.231.242:
    Packets: Sent=4, Received=4, Lost=0.
    (0% loss),
Approx. times in millisec.:
    Minimum = 164ms, Maximum = 166ms, Mean = 165ms

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.