Advice Request So which good and safe VPN are left now?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
a bit late to the party
but if any gamer is around, i'm sure they'll appreciate my feedback.
I as a Gamer ( long time Dota 2 player ) who's playing on EU servers. tried NordVPN / ExpressVPN / Windscribe.
NordVPN was my worst experience in terms of ping in EU servers ( like at least 30 more than my own ping without VPN )
ExpressVPN have some issues with servers of Games on Steam ( not all of them tho ) and it's not also even close to what Windscribe was for me at least.

Windscribe was and is the best experience for me while gaming, i'm getting the same ping in EU servers or worst case scenario 5-10 more than my ping without VPN.
yup that was my 2cent hope it helps someone

Please consider these experience may vary by your location. i'm living in Iran (Middle East) and my ping to EU servers without VPN is already about 90-100.
Pings with VPNs:
Windscribe: 110-115
NordVPN: 130-150
ExpressVPN: 120-135

Forgot to add, i also tested most of the Freedome VPN servers by F-Secure.
Freedome is not for gaming at least as far as my experience goes. Steam blocking most of Freedome servers
especially Dota, you won't get connected to any of Dota servers by most of the Freedome servers, F-Secure says Steam blocked their servers and as a cybersecurity company they respect that and won't change their servers or do anything to bypass that. ( msot of Freedome servers are also blocked by Discord )

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
a bit late to the party
I as a Gamer ( long time Dota 2 player ) who's playing on EU servers. tried NordVPN / ExpressVPN / Windscribe.
NordVPN was my worst experience in terms of ping in EU servers ( like at least 30 more than my own ping without VPN )
ExpressVPN have some issues with servers of Games on Steam ( not all of them tho ) and it's not also even close to what Windscribe was for me at least.

Windscribe was and is the best experience for me while gaming, i'm getting the same ping in EU servers or worst case scenario 5-10 more than my ping without VPN.

Please consider these experience may vary by your location. i'm living in Iran (Middle East) and my ping to EU servers without VPN is already about 90-100.
Pings with VPNs:

Freedome is not for gaming at least as far as my experience goes. Steam blocking most of Freedome servers
especially Dota, you won't get connected to any of Dota servers by most of the Freedome servers, F-Secure says Steam blocked their servers and as a cybersecurity company they respect that and won't change their servers or do anything to bypass that. ( msot of Freedome servers are also blocked by Discord )

I found that on Steam (Destiny 2 player) that the VPN protol wireguard was actually the issue with server instability and not the vpn itself. That's why I tried ikev2

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
I found that on Steam (Destiny 2 player) that the VPN protol wireguard was actually the issue with server instability and not the vpn itself. That's why I tried ikev2
Ye wireguard is iffy with some VPN , Like Surfshark i cant connect to Xbox services , Natural selection 2 , and Destiny with their wireguard.
On mullvad? it works i asked surfshark what kind of wireguard version they run cause Mullvad openly says which ( its based on WireguardNT ).
Sadly surfshark is support wise Extremely bad if you want something more than a "bot" that searches their knowledge base and copying it i mean yes its real people but... they only can cite the knowledge base / reword it.

Reactions: Sorrento

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Ye wireguard is iffy with some VPN , Like Surfshark i cant connect to Xbox services , Natural selection 2 , and Destiny with their wireguard.
On mullvad? it works i asked surfshark what kind of wireguard version they run cause Mullvad openly says which ( its based on WireguardNT ).
Sadly surfshark is support wise Extremely bad if you want something more than a "bot" that searches their knowledge base and copying it i mean yes its real people but... they only can cite the knowledge base / reword it.

Oooops. My aplogogies. The issue is WireguardNT, not Wireguard. After ditching the VPN apps and using IKEv2 via Windows I have no more issues.

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
1647452317885.png

Anyone know why its showing that its easier for the ISP to block IKEv2(IPSec)?
And what is Hydra protocol in HotspotShield?

Reactions: Sorrento and amirr

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
@amirr, you know, if you were to bypass the NordVPN app completely and use the built-in ikev2 method it would be a lot easier and you wouldn't have to worry about the new shitty user authetication method. I tried it myself and it's sooo much faster than even wireguard.
Thanks man, I appreciate your help.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
a bit late to the party

Pings with VPNs:

Between ExpressVPN and Windscribe, which one is faster? I always read that Windscribe is slow.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Between ExpressVPN and Windscribe, which one is faster? I always read that Windscribe is slow.

Between those two only, ExpressVPN is waaay faster. They have their own version of the WireGuard protocol called lightway which is pretty good,

Reactions: amirr

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021

Can't think of a valid reason why such obvious trackers as GTM are not blocked 🤷‍♂️

That's a very good point, and a reason why I go with DNS blocking (like NextDNS) and don't really use VPN's filtering services.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
I know Reviews all believing ( and they might be right ) Express is much faster. but i believe it all depends where you live the quality and speed of VPNs can vary
as i've mentioned i've tested ExpressVPN NordVPN and Windscribe
in my experience, in Iran at least or the countries around it(probably) Windscribe is way faster thn the other two, it might be not the same in EU or NA

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I know Reviews all believing ( and they might be right ) Express is much faster. but i believe it all depends where you live the quality and speed of VPNs can vary
as i've mentioned i've tested ExpressVPN NordVPN and Windscribe
in my experience, in Iran at least or the countries around it(probably) Windscribe is way faster thn the other two, it might be not the same in EU or NA
I have friends in Iran all told me Windscribe is really slow.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016

Tweet is old and things change in time, even if it wasn't old i'd still trust my own actual testing not some random tweets over twitter
i suggest you test them out on your own too, pick what is offering best ping/speed on your region/location

expect to get different results in different countries or even ISPs in same countries

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
That's right. We're rolling this out. ~5% of all servers in production are testing the new RAM stack right now. We hope to have it rolled out to 100% of all servers by summer time. Expect a detailed article on how it's done, not a marketing blog post that leaves a lot to interpretation.
What if there is no summer, there wasn't one last year :):)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.