Advice Request Sophos Home Premium?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I am starting to get angrier everyday for not having any settings available for SHP locally. :confused: So far it looks perfect solution for my parents PC's, will most likely replace Webroot on those 3 PC's, but SEPC also is an option, damn, i don't know what to do. :LOL:

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

SHP just crashed my moms lenovo E550 with win 10 pro, 1709, default settings, automatic updates, no other security programs. PC started to feel really sluggish at one point on HDD even tho full scan was done previously, programs opened more slowly, basically, PC become unusable, no errors nor warnnings. That gone really wrong, as I thought it was about a time to move on from Webroot, I guess SHP not gonna be it, but I have a feeling HMP.A was incompatible with some programs she used, e.g. Splashtop Business, Phobos and other hospital/medicine related database programs, although I didn't try to add each and every program to HMP.A exclusions, I felt like it was most likely a culprit, quite sad to be honest. Trying now SEPC on her laptop and so far no complaints about slow internet/boot time/program response time.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
SHP just crashed my moms lenovo E550 with win 10 pro, 1709, default settings, automatic updates, no other security programs. PC started to feel really sluggish at one point on HDD even tho full scan was done previously, programs opened more slowly, basically, PC become unusable, no errors nor warnnings. That gone really wrong, as I thought it was about a time to move on from Webroot, I guess SHP not gonna be it, but I have a feeling HMP.A was incompatible with some programs she used, e.g. Splashtop Business, Phobos and other hospital/medicine related database programs, although I didn't try to add each and every program to HMP.A exclusions, I felt like it was most likely a culprit, quite sad to be honest. Trying now SEPC on her laptop and so far no complaints about slow internet/boot time/program response time.
the last week i was trying sophos home free, i found it heavy on my system so i decided to uninstall it and sophos display a message that the pc must restarted before the uninstall after rebooting my system , i stuck on black screen and could not enter my system so i made a fresh install of windows and i will not touch any thing from sophos again.:cry::cry::(:(

security.paranoid

Level 2
Verified
Dec 6, 2014
Sophos endpoint offer a good protection with unmatched sync between firewall and endpoints ,most of Sophos consumer are enterprises and I think that Sophos for home user is not mature enough to be used by a newbie its a bit agressive with false positives and no local quarantine ,don't forget that Sophos devs have a lot of work to integrate recent soft purchase and the UTM FIREWALL consolidation so dont expect a good product for home user soon, you can take a look to Sophos communities forum you will have an idea about the current offers ,but for an experienced user configuring exception adding another layer of protection Sophos is the best when it come to web threat prevention and intrusion

@Nestor try to have a good habit of using internet and installing softs ,try comodo with a spare machine or virtual because if you are not an experienced user it will play with your patience specially when you try to install a non signed soft or maybe a cracked repacked game. use another av like Avast or avira and stay away from torrent or warez softwares and all other sources of threats

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Sophos endpoint offer a good protection with unmatched sync between firewall and endpoints ,most of Sophos consumer are enterprises and I think that Sophos for home user is not mature enough to be used by a newbie its a bit agressive with false positives and no local quarantine ,don't forget that Sophos devs have a lot of work to integrate recent soft purchase and the UTM FIREWALL consolidation so dont expect a good product for home user soon, you can take a look to Sophos communities forum you will have an idea about the current offers ,but for an experienced user configuring exception adding another layer of protection Sophos is the best when it come to web threat prevention and intrusion

@Nestor try to have a good habit of using internet and installing softs ,try comodo with a spare machine or virtual because if you are not an experienced user it will play with your patience specially when you try to install a non signed soft or maybe a cracked repacked game. use another av like Avast or avira and stay away from torrent or warez softwares and all other sources of threats
I believe I am a quite experienced user, not professionally but as an amateur.And since I am also a very careful user ,(nothing to do with torrents and cracked games) I believe CIS along with K9 web security is slightly better choice for me, instead of KIS. The reason, KIS is almost a" perfect" choice regarding protection (hub results), but IMO CIS with this powerful sandbox, is a "perfect" choice for zero day threats.(just to eliminate the rest 2% to get infected)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

So, the free version is totally gimped now. Yay...

If you don't pay for something you can't expect much, as with much of life.

I suppose instead of Sophos free being gimped, they could offer it free and then use open communication channels, siphon off your activity, and incorporate a huge data mining firm to pay for all of it. But then Avast would have some competition.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

@ForgottenSeer 58943 and @davisd

I have been thinking of giving SHP a try again since I have a free licence from beta testing way back. It sounds like have made some great improvements. Have you both since come to a consensus on comparing it with SEPC? I have been running SPEC for a bit now since learning about it here and really like it alot! Do you both still feel that its still kind of a toss up between these 2?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

@ForgottenSeer 58943 and @davisd

I have been thinking of giving SHP a try again since I have a free licence from beta testing way back. It sounds like have made some great improvements. Have you both since come to a consensus on comparing it with SEPC? I have been running SPEC for a bit now since learning about it here and really like it alot! Do you both still feel that its still kind of a toss up between these 2?

Both are great. My opinion;

SHP - Having HMPA on deck and integrated with InterceptX is a great boon to SHP. HMPA is incredibly protective and gives you the best on-demand scanning in the business with SHP and the ability to remotely trigger those on-demand scans. SHP is slightly heavier than SEPC, and does add some minor drag to a system, mostly with a TINY pause on page loads. Heuristic traffic scanning and DNS protection is probably the best in the business, possibly better than Heimdal. Machine Learning has come on deck with SHP and is working nicely now.

SEPC - Extremely lightweight. Only K7 feels lighter. Incredibly good firewall w/IPS. Solid, seemingly bug free in contrast to Norton's incredibly buggy consumer offerings. The Machine Learning and AI/Insight is really really good in SEPC. This does lack in some protection areas that SHP covers, mostly thanks to HMPA that's in SHP, so remember you may need to compliment SEPC with an anti-keylogger or some other modules. SHP is strong enough alone. SEPC works on mobiles too, SHP doesn't.

So yeah, mostly it comes down to opinion/experience. I think both are excellent in their own way.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Both are great. My opinion;

SHP - Having HMPA on deck and integrated with InterceptX is a great boon to SHP. HMPA is incredibly protective and gives you the best on-demand scanning in the business with SHP and the ability to remotely trigger those on-demand scans. SHP is slightly heavier than SEPC, and does add some minor drag to a system, mostly with a TINY pause on page loads. Heuristic traffic scanning and DNS protection is probably the best in the business, possibly better than Heimdal. Machine Learning has come on deck with SHP and is working nicely now.

SEPC - Extremely lightweight. Only K7 feels lighter. Incredibly good firewall w/IPS. Solid, seemingly bug free in contrast to Norton's incredibly buggy consumer offerings. The Machine Learning and AI/Insight is really really good in SEPC. This does lack in some protection areas that SHP covers, mostly thanks to HMPA that's in SHP, so remember you may need to compliment SEPC with an anti-keylogger or some other modules. SHP is strong enough alone. SEPC works on mobiles too, SHP doesn't.

So yeah, mostly it comes down to opinion/experience. I think both are excellent in their own way.

Thanks ForgottenSeer 58943!

I've actually just installed SHP on all my systems and its true, the bugs that were present in the beta are gone. It's great to hear that protection wise they are very close to one another. I really liked the mobile component of SEPC, but I am hoping that one day Sophos will add this capability. I did send them an email a week or 2 go requesting this feature (I am sure I'm not the only one who has asked), they did forward the request to their developers, so hopefully it will see the light of day at some point in the future. I also took the time to ask them about future updates and it seems like their devs are actively working on incorporating more advanced features of intercept x, etc... in future builds, so I am assuming it can only get better.

When I ran the beta a while back, I've always felt that Sophos had something special in the making and that over time can evolve into something great. IMHO I think they have made some great acquisitions over the last year and a bit, so I think they are on the right track. I like that they are not trying to reinvent the wheel by adding useless stuff. I like the fact that they are not only using tech from their enterprise offerings, but also seem to be taking the same development approach as their enterprise products. I'll be honest, when I tried SEPC the first thing I thought of was.. why on earth can't their Norton products be like this? For example, on their website (Norton) they say that isn't compatible with Edge, but yet SPEC works fine with Edge and doesn't require all those stupid extensions. :S

Anyways, I'm glad that I tried SPEC and if I do decide to by a licence from Symantec in the future, it will be for SPEC. I think for now I am going to stick with SHP, not because I had issues with SPEC, but because I have a free license for SHP, so I figure I should use it :)

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Now I understand, It wasn't a HMP.A fault, but "slowness" was felt due to a background traffic scanning, because it also causes sudden ping spikes on my side in League as well, and it has nothing to do with DNS servers or my ISP. It's Sophos Home, but the problem now is, I don't want to disable any of modules, that would reduce protection level. Is it really a time to try K7? :unsure: I am not a fan of Indian software, only whitelisting software AppSamvid was somewhat great, but has not been updated since first release.

mostly with a TINY pause on page loads.
Tiny? Page loads have increased in my home by +/-4sec's since Sophos was installed. Doesn't look very "good" to me. Browsing speed with SEPC is not affected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Now I understand, It wasn't a HMP.A fault, but "slowness" was felt due to a background traffic scanning, because it also causes sudden ping spikes on my side in League as well, and it has nothing to do with DNS servers or my ISP. It's Sophos Home, but the problem now is, I don't want to disable any of modules, that would reduce protection level. Is it really a time to try K7? :unsure: I am not a fan of Indian software, only whitelisting software AppSamvid was somewhat great, but has not been updated since first release.

Tiny? Page loads have increased in my home by +/-4sec's since Sophos was installed. Doesn't look very "good" to me. Browsing speed with SEPC is not affected.
How is Sophos Premium? Have u tested it.
As far as i can say their malicious URL blocking and Anti phishing is damn good. Fortinet and Sophos are TOP2 in that category

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
As far as i can say their malicious URL blocking and Anti phishing is damn good. Fortinet and Sophos are TOP2 in that category
My last impression of Sophos Home was indeed the beta. For myself I can say that this product has slowed down my system and was very annoying. But I think that's because I'm used to not running AV on Windows. :) #smartscreenftw

Reactions: Weebarra
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Yeah, I am using Sophos Premium, It really is damn good, no questions that protection wise it's very strong, but unfortunately it's not working very well on my side and causing immense slow in browsing and programms which require a lot traffic/remote connection (Teamviewer/Splashtop/RDP) also lag/spike from time to time. Without Sophos it's not the case. Only problem that I am fighting with now is traffic scanning.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
My last impression of Sophos Home was indeed the beta. For myself I can say that this product has slowed down my system and was very annoying. But I think that's because I'm used to not running AV on Windows. :) #smartscreenftw
Surprising is Sophos too slowed down my PC..but i am not sure that it is the culprit
Slowness is clearly visible during surfing. But have you observed one thing> Sophos has nil FP's though it lacks Quarantine

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I too noticed the slow down in my internet speed, but that was during the beta. Thankfully since reinstalling SHP I haven't noticed it too much, it's still there ever so slightly compared to SEPC, but for me it's better than when I tried the beta. I have a fairly fast connection (compared to when I tried the beta) so that may have helped things in my end :)

Reactions: Weebarra
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

@ForgottenSeer 58943 Do you have any advice how to make SHP not so system impactful? I mean, on my SSD it feels ok, not perfect system performance wise, but fine to do daily tasks. But on HDD it feels unusable, folders/browser/programms take +3sec to open, and every time it's different. I really want to keep using it on my other laptops too but I just can't seem to locate what draggs so much system performance, well, it's probably HMP.A exploit protection working background.. it's frustrating because it feels like McAfee is installed with 15 services running. I'm running out of ideas..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.