App Review Sophos Vs Cylance

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Did you know about Next-Gen solutions?

• Yes

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 36 62.1%

• Total voters

Malware Managed

From Malware Managed
Verified
Jun 29, 2016
So who all here has had a chance to try PROTECT out yet?

@Umbra, any sense on when we might hear back from the forum Owner (Jack)?
We want to help support the community (we all have the same goals I think) but we want to stay within Jack's guidelines too.

Reactions: Logethica

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You couldn't pay me to install your software on my DigitalStrom system.
you have no credibility with me and many within my circles.
Any company worth their salt, even small startup's like Dan with VoodooShield first
entered the scene, and now ReCrypt (coming soon, very soon) know the importance of first impressions, integrity, and honesty with the customer.
These products are designed from the ground up solid as a rock with nothing to hide.
They are not pretentious, even today these Dev's are active within the Security communities
listening and improving, connecting and earning their trust and "respect". It's what sets good
companies and solid products apart from the likes of cylance secretly hiding in the dark.
I'm not a fan of Sophos doubt I ever will be, but from the outside even I can see that Sophos
did you guys a favor, a chance at a clean slate, that was not obvious through you'r ego's though.
It's going to be fun to watch your future play out within the security software industry and remember
you only have yourselves to blame for the foreseeable outcome, because you chose the path your on.
PeAcE

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
This article explains a bit...

Webroot vs Cylance

The criticisms of Cylance are similar to those of Webroot. And each vendor's reactions to such criticisms are virtually identical - but I think Webroot has chosen to remain officially silent for the most part over the past few years.

Either way, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is a duck -- and you shoot that duck... because it's duck season...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
The Netelligent office is not far from me (1hr drive) I will do some more homework and post back
Monday.
Dan Gimenez is one of the founders of Malware Managed, digging there too.
Will update soon.
Already finding some strange bed partners in Cylances short history.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
They use math and AI and based on parameters it decides if a program is good or bad. Some say it's smoke and mirrors show, some others that they are just an antivirus and some that they are awesome next gen endpoint solution.
if you read the topic you will see most point of view.

EDIT: Saw this on the other forum. A more info version of mine.
New Dell partnership casts doubt on traditional antivirus programs

This is something that really me bugs about those "next gen" solutions, imo it is really just a new fancy name and approach to heuristics.

This Eset paper is a very interesting reading.

https://static3.esetstatic.com/fileadmin/Images/INT/Docs/Other/ESET-Technology-Overview.pdf

Reactions: Logethica
H

hjlbx

Thread author
This is something that really me bugs about those "next gen" solutions, imo it is really just a new fancy name and approach to heuristics.

This Eset paper is a very interesting reading.

https://static3.esetstatic.com/fileadmin/Images/INT/Docs/Other/ESET-Technology-Overview.pdf

LOL... use properly configured anti-exec or software restriction policy and - comparatively speaking - virtually all of the issues most people experience with security solutions are a non-issue.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
So who all here has had a chance to try PROTECT out yet?

@Umbra, any sense on when we might hear back from the forum Owner (Jack)?
We want to help support the community (we all have the same goals I think) but we want to stay within Jack's guidelines too.
CYLANCEPROTECT seems to be oriented towards businesses rather than home users. "Convinced that the next generation of endpoint security is right for your organization?" . Is this product meant to be used by home users?

If you want home users to try it, you should make the trial process a lot easier because now it requires the users to complete a form to be able to get a trial (on the official website), while on your website I cannot find a way of trying it without buying. Not sure if anyone would go trough all the hassle just to get a simple trial.

If the owner of the forum doesn't mind, we (Malware Managed) would be glad to provide @cruelsister with an evaluation subscription for PROTECT. Sound fair?
I don't mind, if @cruelsister wants to give your product a proper test I think that you could help him but providing a license key. I'm sure our members would love to see a review.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I certainly may be interested, but as I feel a review would not turn out to be a trivial matter I need first to verify that the Financial Institution where I work has no current interest in Cylance, neither in the recent funding round (concern being with Insight VP) nor in a future IPO (also not a trivial matter as Cylance will probably command a first day's market cap north of 1 billion USD).

If that goes well we can move on to testing parameters. Not trying to hedge here, but it's just that my Momma didn't have no fools for children, if you catch my drift.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I certainly may be interested, but as I feel a review would not turn out to be a trivial matter I need first to verify that the Financial Institution where I work has no current interest in Cylance, neither in the recent funding round (concern being with Insight VP) nor in a future IPO (also not a trivial matter as Cylance will probably command a first day's market cap north of 1 billion USD).

If that goes well we can move on to testing parameters. Not trying to hedge here, but it's just that my Momma didn't have no fools for children, if you catch my drift.
Get written permission for allowing the video review of Cylance with no strings attached on the review content. Cylance will not give it but get it from @Malware Managed if they actually want the product tested. They might be saying all cool now but if the video is not of their liking someone might use his blackmail techniques for you to remove it.
I am sure your company values you more than a random call they might get from Cylance but just to be sure billions will not push the balance against you.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Get written permission for allowing the video review of Cylance with no strings attached on the review content.
LMOyKjQ.gif

yes no strings ! ;)

Malware Managed

From Malware Managed
Verified
Jun 29, 2016
If you want home users to try it, you should make the trial process a lot easier because now it requires the users to complete a form to be able to get a trial (on the official website), while on your website I cannot find a way of trying it without buying. Not sure if anyone would go trough all the hassle just to get a simple trial.

@Jack, thanks for the clearance - it's important to Dan and Me (this is Joel) that we be in harmony with the community that you've built here.

Dan and I have labored to make Cylance PROTECT available to Home and SMB customers because we believe that everyone (not just large organizations) should have access to good tools in our fight against malware. To get PROTECT you only need a form of online payment, we even accept bitcoin. We are doing all we can to lower the barriers to entry so that everyone has access if they want it (clearly some don't and that's OK too).

We struggle with the concept of doing free evaluations because we are a startup and have to be careful with our spend but we believe that a free evaluation is money well spent if the eval is done by people who have experience in the malware space (like the eval that VooDoo Shield Dan has done). Speaking of which, VooDooShield is one of the most clever and customer friendly methods of application white-listing I've seen to date; Dan is doing great work there. Finally I'll add that if any customer is unsatisfied with our service or PROTECT, they have the option to get a full refund within 30 days of purchase; so buy it, try it, if it's not for you, we'll give you your money back.

I'd also say that most of our customers are very concerned with ransomware in particular which is why you will see us focus on that. It's not to say that PROTECT can't deal with RATs or commodity crimeware kits but these aren't what people (Home and SMB customers, our cusotmers) are telling us that they are most concerned about right now.

So, we are looking forward to the efficacy testing (fingers crossed for @cruelsister getting the clearance on that) and we are comfortable with a video showing the results, even if it shows PROTECT misses something. To me (as a security practitioner), I know something is always going to get by, I just want to limit that something as much as possible. Which reminds me, everyone, please backup your important stuff and use two-factor authentication wherever you can! </soapbox>

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.