App Review Sophos Vs Cylance

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Did you know about Next-Gen solutions?

• Yes

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 36 62.1%

• Total voters

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@Jack, thanks for the clearance - it's important to Dan and Me (this is Joel) that we be in harmony with the community that you've built here.

Dan and I have labored to make Cylance PROTECT available to Home and SMB customers because we believe that everyone (not just large organizations) should have access to good tools in our fight against malware. To get PROTECT you only need a form of online payment, we even accept bitcoin. We are doing all we can to lower the barriers to entry so that everyone has access if they want it (clearly some don't and that's OK too).

We struggle with the concept of doing free evaluations because we are a startup and have to be careful with our spend but we believe that a free evaluation is money well spent if the eval is done by people who have experience in the malware space (like the eval that VooDoo Shield Dan has done). Speaking of which, VooDooShield is one of the most clever and customer friendly methods of application white-listing I've seen to date; Dan is doing great work there. Finally I'll add that if any customer is unsatisfied with our service or PROTECT, they have the option to get a full refund within 30 days of purchase; so buy it, try it, if it's not for you, we'll give you your money back.

I'd also say that most of our customers are very concerned with ransomware in particular which is why you will see us focus on that. It's not to say that PROTECT can't deal with RATs or commodity crimeware kits but these aren't what people (Home and SMB customers, our cusotmers) are telling us that they are most concerned about right now.

So, we are looking forward to the efficacy testing (fingers crossed for @cruelsister getting the clearance on that) and we are comfortable with a video showing the results, even if it shows PROTECT misses something. To me (as a security practitioner), I know something is always going to get by, I just want to limit that something as much as possible. Which reminds me, everyone, please backup your important stuff and use two-factor authentication wherever you can! </soapbox>

Joel @Malware Managed
Kudos...
A) You didn't have to join this Forum..,especially as you probably knew that you may face an initial barrage of criticism.
B) You didn't have to agree to having your product tested by @cruelsister ,a very highly regarded member of this Community.
....So You have my respect for this.:)

I agree with your evaluation of both VoodooShield and Dan (Its Dev)...
and I would personally like to (belatedly) Welcome you to MalwareTips :)

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
OK at present there is a conflict between malwarbytes Antiexploit version 1.09.1.1130 and cylance. if you have antiexploit running along side cylance you can not open IE 11 unless you go into antiexploits shields and disable protection for IE. trying to work with both parties on a solution. currently cylance can put it into Compatibility mode so you can use antiexploit for the job and not cylance. OR you can chose between which one you want to use. pbust has been trying to get a lic to determine what the conflict is. I guess it is up to Joel if he wants to accommodate pbust or not.

Malware Managed

From Malware Managed
Verified
Jun 29, 2016
Our perception is that MBAE crosses paths with
@Malware Managed
Check this thread out M&M
Video Review - Clyance (Home) vs Sophos (Home) vs Voodoshield
One question I am curious about does the (as a managed service) in any way require a remote connection To my PC ?
just curious. Thanks for your time & attention

Also a good question; we (Malware Managed) do not have remote access to our customers' computers - we see data that the agent sends to the cloud only. That's assuming the customer has their device connected to the internet (which isn't required for PROTECT to operate). A point of clarification, though, we do require the device to connect to the cloud so it can initially register and receive the policy we use to configure PROTECT; otherwise, PROTECT installs in a default configuration which observes only; doesn't prevent threats.

We also provide our customers with access to the cloud console (if they wish) so they can see threats and waive any false-positives.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
"We also provide our customers with access to the cloud console (if they wish) so they can see threats and waive any false-positives."

MM is this an extra cost on top of the 60 bucks? I am using Protect as you must know by now and I do see the detections but can't do anything about it at present without wasting your time on email.
I am also happy you are keeping you eye on win 10 insider builds which I am using.

Malware Managed

From Malware Managed
Verified
Jun 29, 2016
"We also provide our customers with access to the cloud console (if they wish) so they can see threats and waive any false-positives."

MM is this an extra cost on top of the 60 bucks? I am using Protect as you must know by now and I do see the detections but can't do anything about it at present without wasting your time on email.
I am also happy you are keeping you eye on win 10 insider builds which I am using.

No extra charge for Console access - we are working with Cylance now to get a REST endpoint that will allow us to automate granting Console access as new customers come on board.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
dango_O and so far it appears nobody else took joel up on the offer. Now that they gave me a console, I am pretty happy with it. just last night I wanted to make another kubuntu usb for my sisters computer. I use a installer from Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

right away it was quarantined by cylance but I was able to open my console and waive the file so I could make the usb stick to load kubuntu on her computer. ;)

Last edited:

Malware Managed

From Malware Managed
Verified
Jun 29, 2016
I've had one person (from the community) contact me to get a trial so they could conduct an evaluation - we're OK with someone else conducting the evaluation so long as the community agrees they are the right person or / and the board Owner / Moderator agrees.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.