App Review Sophos Vs Cylance

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Did you know about Next-Gen solutions?

• Yes

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 36 62.1%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I've had one person (from the community) contact me to get a trial so they could conduct an evaluation - we're OK with someone else conducting the evaluation so long as the community agrees they are the right person or / and the board Owner / Moderator agrees.

Mods here doesn't interfere between the vendor and the tester if they agree together (of course the vendor shouldn't interfere or dictate the test procedure) ; people can post their tests here freely unless obvious bias/hate are observed.

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
I'm okay with the many evaluators on this website - as long as a bad review doesn't make us the new Bleeping Computer v Enigma. No matter how friendly Malware Managed is, if his legal team decides to bring in the tanks to destroy MalwareTips based on a bad review(s)... I don't know... will we wake up one morning to find that these guys are suing us now?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
When M&M gave me a BS answer about needing MT staff approval before being able to offer me a test version for testing I lost interest. (Un-watched)
I am thinking all of this fluff is for exposure and nothing else IMHO.
I am done with this thread. Joel you have a most awesome day.
PeAcE

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I'm okay with the many evaluators on this website - as long as a bad review doesn't make us the new Bleeping Computer v Enigma. No matter how friendly Malware Managed is, if his legal team decides to bring in the tanks to destroy MalwareTips based on a bad review(s)... I don't know... will we wake up one morning to find that these guys are suing us now?

I was going to say the same thing about the BS surrounding the BleepingComputer issue .... but you beat me to it :)

These things just come around every now and then ..... remember the MBAM controversy ?
A certain well-known far-eastern Anti-Malware app had the exact same signature DB , including the one's
that MBAM had invented .... just for them !
And they kicked up a similar fuss .... Legal action ...." defamation ! , damaging our 'good name' , professional jealousy "

_CyberGhosT_ says it right .
I am thinking all of this fluff is for exposure and nothing else

If you are stuck in a tight spot , and your rep is on the line .....
might as well milk it for all it's worth .... free publicity ( no such thing as BAD publicity etc etc )
Every post here ( this one included ) gives a little bit more .... however tiny !

The European budget airline that gets constantly slammed for treating customers like cattle .... ?
.... solution ? .... put out a bogus story about levying new charges for use of the onboard toilet ...

Guaranteed front-page news , at least for a few days !!!

" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited:

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
once upon a time there was a forum I was on long long ago. before rootkits became a real world issue anyone that spoke about them got slammed hard and called fear mongers. this thread is really starting to look similar to me and bringing some bad old memories.
oh dear then a few of us started talking about hardware malware. whewww. joahanna r even created some pocs but maybe that one didn't go so far other then strutnex?

Malware Managed

From Malware Managed
Verified
Jun 29, 2016
Hey guys, sorry for the delay - just got back from Def Con; catching up. We thought Umbra wanted cruel sister to do the test (as was indicated in this thread) and we wanted to honor that but we are flexible so if there's someone else (here) who's qualified to conduct an efficacy test, we'd gladly issue them an evaluation unit. One of my requirements is that the tester be familiar with malware enough to know what is and isn't malware. We've seen tests (in the past) use a broken PEs that don't do anything and call it malware. So, whomever is up to the task of doing a public efficacy test, please email us at sales@malwaremanaged.com and we'll make this happen.

Reactions: Logethica

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
cruel sister was at def con this year?

MM I can't remember but you still go over to wilderssecurity? there are a lot of people on this forum that frequent that one too but there are plenty qualified people over there that might take you up on the offer. even though many people here want to see it evaluated, none seem to want to for whatever reason.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Just Curious: any new updates on this test?

PS:
Dig some quick through information between Sophos v. Cylance Saga.. Seems like a war of words atm, with no concrete evidence. Even the youtube video posted by @Umbra was "privated"/"removed".
On the other hand, another testing by Av-Comparative against SEP v. Cylance: that's interesting.
Cyclance unbelievable tour is has really "unbelievable" result. lol... Makes me wonder why those others like Trend-Micro, Symantec and McAfee nv strikes back. :confused:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Sophos crushed cylance in less than 10mn... the video was removed by Sophos because they didn't want Cylance giving troubles (aka fire) to the cylance' partner who send the product to Sophos.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Sophos crushed cylance in less than 10mn... the video was removed by Sophos because they didn't want Cylance giving troubles (aka fire) to the cylance' partner who send the product to Sophos.

Which I'm also wonder why Symantec, Trend-micro and McAfee doesn't make a move. Symantec got something via Av-comparative results which I think Cylance doesn't acknowledge it I supposed.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Which I'm also wonder why Symantec, Trend-micro and McAfee doesn't make a move. Symantec got something via Av-comparative results which I think Cylance doesn't acknowledge it I supposed.
because they don't care and don't use AI. Cylance is not even close to be a serious competitor to them.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
because they don't care and don't use AI. Cylance is not even close to be a serious competitor to them.

Quite a pity that, no further updates from here yet.

In any case, this next-gen thingy is still new and fresh to me. Still love the good-ole-anti-exe.

Sophos by far serves me okay on my 2 spare netbook. Installed Sophos Home into it and then give it to my young cousins. Never got the chance to try Cylance on my system. Doubt it will anytime soon until they are able to offer free evaluation period for everyone.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
"because they don't care and don't use AI. Cylance is not even close to be a serious competitor to them."

is dell close to them? ya sure youbetcha

"They don't want and don't care of Home users...shady enough..."

true but Malware Managed does.

Malware Managed

From Malware Managed
Verified
Jun 29, 2016
We are still looking for someone to do testing and post the results - we'll provide a free year subscription to PROTECT for the first qualified tester who offers to do the testing by emailing us (sales@malwaremanaged.com). We fully support Home Customers and want everyone to have equal access (not just those with deep pockets). If the tester doesn't want the subscription, we'll donate it to one of our existing customers who's a charity.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
umbra dude !!! did you not read the previous post? they are offering you a free subscription if you dare !!! why have you not taken them up on it?
it is a free one year sub. dude. all you have to do is make the test . since CS can't at this point because she is preoccupied. and am most likely thinking she won't mot only because of cylance
lawyers as you say but because of dells which have way more power..

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.