Spirit's Visible Protection

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
RE: Stranger Security Configuration

Stranger said:
Hi bitbizket I don't like comodo and zonealarm firewall and complete security suite does notgive much problem or slow down to me that is why i prefer it rather then firewall+av.
Webroot is not the product which i like much and personally i feel its a wrong theory that cloud av are lighter,believe me they make browsing slow down a bit.
Your trick of "Av sucks" doen't work for me.

Biozfear:I don't get much Fp with avira right now and trust me its way lighter then emsisoft.

Yes you're correct about security suite is more stable and easier to configure than having to search for the right combination of setup. Each machine is unique so they won't react the same. I've pointed out the best possible option of a simple AV+firewall setup which is to provide a strong, stable and very light protection for most users.

Security Suite is mostly bloated and often offer features which you do not need and the truth is they are no better in protection or light than any AV+Firewall combination. The only good about thing about suite is that they were made to be stable as possible and gives the developer less headaches from their customers complains because of conflicts. Even than they are not free of bugs and slowdowns as you have noticed from your own personal tests. In the future, like one of my friends says a complete suite will be the norm and firewall and antivirus will ceased to exists.

If you prefer suite than that it is your choice but from reading your posts you still confused to find the right one.

No i have to disagree. For example Panda Cloud has varied user comments some find it light and some don't. In my case it caused slowdown while using it. Webroot is a different beast the best cloud av that i've tried. You just needs some understanding on how it works. WSA provide some feature to further trim down resource usage and so does Emsisoft Antimalware. It (EAM) provide one of the best protection but not so well with cleaning but it probably doesn't matter since it does really good with prevention.

I find it strange with some of your comments so i'll post them here.

-----------------------

(06-09-2012)
I would say that how they dare to price their product for nearly $80,I think $8 would be waste in buying this type of crap.
They advertised on their website that its better and faster then norton.
No its slow down internet speed and their detection rate is poorer then outdated crapped antivirus.
Horrible detection capability I would suggest to go with free avira/avast/mse then installing this crap-ware.

(07-03-2012)
webroot is falsely claimed lightest av and i bet nobody can prove it, it slow downs my browsing speed and downloading speed by half compare to avast/avira/mse.
If anyone have doubt about webroot install it on your computer and give it try for 1 day its heavier than any other good av.

(07-14-2012)
Back with webroot
Its feels lighter and safe

(08-19-2012)
After hovering around all over the world I find it lightest
I have selected two av out of whole bunch of security software and they are avira internet security and WSC.
At the time Sticking with WSC

...and now you say it's lighter and safe, that's odd for a crap software?

(10-02-2012)
Webroot:very much impressed few more features added and improved in system resorces.
Overall I like bitdefender norton and webroot new version

-----------------------

And here is another.

Kaspersky Pure - (07-03-2012)
Change to Kaspersky Pure from AIS and I am loving it. Very light on system even lighter than eset and avast
I said it is light because it is full feature signature+cloud based Security system with many extra layer of protection. - (07-04-2012)
Kaspesky Pure works well without any popups warning even without cloud av and it is not like webroot or panda where cloud protection and internet connection is must during scan or protection. - (07-04-2012)

Kaspersky Pure - (07-10-2012)
Removed: Avast Internet Security
Actually I am bit confused to choose and remain with either kaspersky pure or nis 2012 and I am not impressed with Ais now a days - (07-10-2012)
I am with it right now and the lightness of this product is amazingly unbelievable. - (07-10-2012)
Browsing is much faster with even kaspersky link scanner and antibanner ON,its faster than eset.avira,avast and even norton. - (07-10-2012)

Kaspersky Pure - (07-20-2012)
Removed:Norton Internet Security
Reason : Slow browsing compare to Kaspersky Pure.Url Filter of Kp is much better.
Detection was Good compare to other av which i tried from last week
Light on my machine.
Very Good url filter of KP
Install and forget policy (its take long time at 1st install update and scan but after that not to worry)

...and here's the catch

Kaspersky Pure - (07-21-2012)
Removed Kaspersky Pure: Crashed OS and have to reinstall windows Angry (Will Never use it )

Kaspersky Pure - (07-31-2012)
Removed:Nis(some issue with license)
believe me its very light - (07-31-2012)

Norton Internet security - (08-18-2012)
Removed:kaspersky Pure
Kaspersky Pure is good for computer when it remain idle and when you start browsing,play video or open pdf/office then it shows its true sign
Yes very light and browsing is superfast
With such lite av you can afford a bit slow scan
and you can do work easily while norton scan unlike bitdefender/kaspersky

You mention before (07-20-2012) that Norton has slow browsing compare to Kaspersky Pure and here you say it's superfast and Kaspersky is the opposite.

You seems to like Kaspersky Pure but the inconsistent remarks you made baffles me. :huh:

So you say to believed in you but you're going in circles biting your own tail.. ouch :p

However i agree with you Kaspersky Pure is much lighter and more stable since its the optimized version of the later. Web Anti-Virus buffers fragments of objects downloaded from the internet it only scans an object after it has been completely downloaded. Kaspersky link scanner and anti-banner is another thing.. URLs scan allows determining of web sites which are listed in the "black" list.

PS: I don't consider myself an advanced user but experience does makes a difference, i'm considering going AV-less when i feel it right time to do so.

Good day :D

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

He is totally confused man. I have only found a few suites worthwhile. 1- AIS 2- KIS 3- BDIS and 4-NIS
I left AV+F/w combo since i got bsods with Avast +OA a year back. So no combos. Suites are best. KIS 2013 is now even lighter and the update issues seem to be resolved. So sticking with it. 400 days left.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

Hi bitbizket, you have done enough research on me but you forgot one point.After reading all my post you can easily understand that i am not security freak or paranoid user,I just change my setups for fun and testing so that its not a big deal.

You have mention that i write aout the product that it is light then i term it as heavy so remember each product have its own flavor and function.If you install avast on your machine you will find it a bit heavy but after few days avast will know all your files and it will become very light on your machine and its just opposite in case of avira where it is light while you install but gradually become heavy after few days of updates.

Hi malbky,I am not confused and you know me i do this all for fun and timepass and i feel nothing serious about any product but give they try just for fun.

Hope you all get my point

Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

Stranger and me, we take pleasure to test security products even the same ones many times. A product just installed acts differently than after be used for a while. So i'm not surprised to see its many changes.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011

I was in your shoes at one time so i knew what it's like. When i was a noob i was looking for the answer like what best for my computer. I got different answers for my questions and most of them just confused me. There is no such thing as one fits all. Everything needs to be done by trial an error. I got duped in buying in rogue and useless softwares.

What i've noticed you've change your setup every 2 or 3 days. Yes it's okay to test your software or be it like a hobby but your comments just confused the ones who read them. You can't really get the best out from a short period of testing. That is why your comments isn't consistent. Many testers mistakes is that they don't understand how the products works before they makes a concrete conclusions. You can't compare that with a professional reviewers because they do have the experienced so testing takes a shorter time.

I hope you can learned something from my comments.

There's no disrespect to you but in general i don't like people who acts like a smart*** when they were given advised or explanation.

PS: Umbra is different, they entertained me, he has a good eye and personally he shared the same interest as me. Biozfear i enjoy his videos, he makes the viewer decides.. he don't make the program he's testing looks bad.

:)

D

Deleted member 178

bitbizket said:
PS: Umbra is different, they entertained me, he has a good eye and personally he shared the same interest as me. Biozfear i enjoy his videos, he makes the viewer decides.. he don't make the program he's testing looks bad.

I agree about Bioz, many of his reviews made me thinking about using the tested product , luckily i have a strong will :D

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

bitbizket said:
I hope you can learned something from my comments.

There's no disrespect to you but in general i don't like people who acts like a smart*** when they were given advised or explanation.

First of all I don't give advice or explanation but its just my experience with that particular product on particular period on my machine.

Even I don't care if someone whom I dont know respect/disrespect me but i am sure the people who disrespect other even when they don't harm anybody is nothing more than *******

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

I know Stranger well. He likes a refresh of suites. I am the same category but now due to studies I am not finding time to fiddle with my PC.
Yes there a few like Umbra whose config in stronger than Obama's Pc. Serious its not a joke. He has a tight config. I think we should have hacker fests on umbra config. Hats off to Umbra and if I install all of that fortress config on PC, then no one except me can use it. My pc is used by mom sometimes so no no.

D

Deleted member 178

Thanks my friend, some people may think my config is too much, but i feel happy with it.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

Its not too much Umbra, what is amazing is you made them work together. Does your pc ever feel slow?

D

Deleted member 178

Of course, the boot time is slower than a stock Win7 but the responsiveness loss is not visible, all windows opens instantaneously, my idle cpu & ram usage is around 4-8% & 25-30% (depending the situation).

i spent hours to find the proper combination & tweaks, and now i am satisfied :D

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Stranger Security Setup

Windows Security
Firewall:Off
Update:On
Uac:Off
Backup:Default

Additional security
Sandbox:Sandboxie
Hardening:Emet
Dns;Opendns
File scannerVirustotal

System Tweaks & Utilities
Ccleaner
Auslogic ootspeed
Advance system care 6 (blocked by firewall)

Some personal settings and tweak alongside this setup

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Stranger Security Setup

Don't you already have one of these Stranger?

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

McLovin said:
Don't you already have one of these Stranger?

The older thread with junk and few immature comments have been removed :)

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

MalwareVirus said:
How you feel about Sophos Endpoint Security as you using it:)

Light and fast with good deduction rate,interface is however reminds you old age av.
Firewall gives some pop ups when you install it first but after that everything runs smoothly

2zgav61.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.