Spirit's Visible Protection

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
RE: Stranger Security Configuration

Tried many new version of av:2013

Avira 2013: Added some features but look useless to me,not impressed at all but if you like avira 2012 then you can use it.

Avast New version yet to come

BitdefenderOnly one word Awesome.There are few cons on this product yet but improved dramatically from version 2012,really light.

EsetVersion 6 yet to come

F-secure:This product really going on one side that is downwards.
I am very sad for this product but the company making bad decision each day.

G-Data:Nothing to report.

Kapersky:Nothing new same bloatware as usual

Panda:Here too only name changed that is 2012 to 2013

Quickheal:Only added browser sandbox otherwise same functions and quality.

Symantec:Not only interface changed but improved in resource usage.Norton 360 is impressive.

Webroot:very much impressed few more features added and improved in system resorces.

Overall I like bitdefender norton and webroot new version

McLovin

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Awww, no Trend Micro. :p

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

McLovin said:
Awww, no Trend Micro. :p

Actually I haven't used it last version so i cant compare it that is why its not in the list

McLovin

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Stranger said:
Actually I haven't used it last version so i cant compare it that is why its not in the list

I see. Would be worth giving it a shot. The new 2013 is great ;)

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

McLovin said:
Stranger said:

I see. Would be worth giving it a shot. The new 2013 is great ;)

does it still using windows firewall?
how is resource usage?

McLovin

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Stranger said:
how is resource usage?

Yes it is using the Windows Firewall, but it also uses the Trend Micro Firewall Booster.

This is how much it uses.

d9df8087736d4864aa4a4a8.png

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

McLovin said:
Stranger said:
how is resource usage?

Yes it is using the Windows Firewall, but it also uses the Trend Micro Firewall Booster.

This is how much it uses.

d9df8087736d4864aa4a4a8.png

Thats a lot Ram usage for av
I will rather skip this one :p

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

Removed : Norton 360 (high cpu usage)
Added : Avira Internet security 2013

Guys I have option of avira and kaspersky pure what do you think and which should i choose?

Thanks

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Why do you guys opt for the Full package, then you say it causes problems and such. Use their AV-only version and you may see less issues and better overall performance.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

Earth said:
Why do you guys opt for the Full package, then you say it causes problems and such. Use their AV-only version and you may see less issues and better overall performance.

Because I use application control and its hard to block application using windows firewall and I have to use some third party firewall along with av and i find sometimes its slow down a machine bit that is why I use full product:)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

Great to see stranger back. Why the sudden shift to Avira?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Have you tried something like TinyWall?

Judging by all the suites you have tried and uninstalled, maybe a standalone Firewall would be better. That way you don't lose out on the AV of your choice.

P

Plexx

If I remember correctly, Stranger was always a fan of Avira IS.

TinyWall is very handy and even I as a Gamer have used. Only reason I don't use it now is because I do not see the need at this moment.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

malbky said:
Great to see stranger back. Why the sudden shift to Avira?

Hi malbky I was busy so not get much time to ibe online and i shifted to avira as i feel its lightest protection with gr8 detection

Earth said:
Have you tried something like TinyWall?

Judging by all the suites you have tried and uninstalled, maybe a standalone Firewall would be better. That way you don't lose out on the AV of your choice.

I tried it but had not liked it . The only firewall I find which is light with minimum impact was looknstop but i dont have license and there is no giveaway of lns at any forum :D

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

Biozfear said:
If I remember correctly, Stranger was always a fan of Avira IS.

TinyWall is very handy and even I as a Gamer have used. Only reason I don't use it now is because I do not see the need at this moment.

Hi Glad to see you after long time,your memory is very good i am always a fan of avira

Avira=Light + Gr8 detection

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011

Why the fuss?

If you know how to deal with HIPS than Comodo Firewall (Antivirus/Sandbox Disabled) will suite you the best. It's very light on the system and have fast boot. You'll have very little performance issue running this one.

You just need to configure it to ProActive Security, than make sure your Firewall Security Level is set to Custom Policy. Run your trusted applications one by one and gave them a trusted rule. If they ask you for an internet connection, allow or block them according to your needs.

The downside of using CF sometimes the upgrade process will not go as smoothly and can caused instability within the program itself. And don't tinker around with the advanced setting if you have no idea of what you're doing.

A simple rule to follow don't messed up your configuration. Sometimes guide can be helpful to tightened up your security but sometimes they don't. The reason for this it may not suits your computer environment and can cause more complications where you least expected.

Comodo Firewall is best for geek, can be an excellent firewall if you're a gamer or used P2P programs very often because it hardly slows down your web connections.

If you prefer a simpler firewall without HIPS than ZoneAlarm Free Firewall (No Antivirus) will do. Even Grandma will find the simplicity of this program so there's basically no need to give you guideline here. It's kind of touch and go firewall. Don't be seduced by those firewall tests out there they often play with your mind and caused a mental sickness called Paranoia of the brain. However ZoneAlarm will take in some boot time and uses a tad more memory.

I used Look 'n' Stop before, the default settings is fine but the advanced used of the firewall is more complex.

Since you're complaining about your AV slowing down your machine why not have Webroot SecureAnywhere. I believed you still have a license for it. It's the most lightest, balanced and complete AV right now.

If you're concern about static detection than why not have a multiple on-demand scanner, you probably knew this even the best AV can't catch them all. Nearly all of high detection av or suite has more problems than the less affective ones. Just go to their respective forum and have a look.

Avira is light but produced more fps. I don't know about now but its webshield used to caused slowdowns. Personally i never have the need for a web scanner, never used one for a long time, it's practically useless and only affect the speed of your browsing and downloads.

I prefer Kaspersky Pure 2012 than both KIS 2012 and KIS 2013. It has some issues of its own, anyway Kaspersky Pure 2012 is build upon the stable version of KIS 2012.

Already tried KIS 2013 and i don't like it at all, primarily because the applications grouping is a mess, which remind me of the old Comodo. LoL.
They also removed the Safe Run feature which i'm familiar with.

Just a tip when using Kaspersky and Comodo, have CCleaner + CCEnhancer to clean the junks accumulated by this program overtime.
You'll find this helpful when you probably noticed both programs starts to get heavy.

Going off topic now.
Dude here's a fun fact try Google this words: the "AV" name and the word "Sucks" together. For example like "Norton Sucks"

Try several different products which are popular and common. And tell me which one that does not Sucks and in fact says it a "Winner". I know for one thing both Norton and Bitdefender sucks big time. lol.

:D

P

Plexx

Stranger said:
Hi Glad to see you after long time,your memory is very good i am always a fan of avira

Avira=Light + Gr8 detection

Yeah been out of action for awhile.

My memory ain't bad:)

I do like Avira but one must be careful with its FPs.

I switched to EAM 7.

At least for awhile will stick to EAM.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

Hi bitbizket I don't like comodo and zonealarm firewall and complete security suite does notgive much problem or slow down to me that is why i prefer it rather then firewall+av.
Webroot is not the product which i like much and personally i feel its a wrong theory that cloud av are lighter,believe me they make browsing slow down a bit.
Your trick of "Av sucks" doen't work for me.

Biozfear:I don't get much Fp with avira right now and trust me its way lighter then emsisoft.

P

Plexx

I haven't tried Avira 2013 yet but considering I use the system for gaming, so far only a few AVs have suited my need, which I believe it showed the same result for Loveboy_Lion.

ESET, EAM, Kingsoft AV (non-Avira version), WSA and AVG.

I could go ahead and reinforce my current setup but since browsing is safely done and the fact that any piece of software goes to VM and an older system for a test run before entering this system, there is no need to overkill the security setup.

In fact, the less I have installed, the better :)

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012

Hi Biozfear I think avira is way lighter then avg and emsisoft

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.