Status of AppGuard Personal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread author
There's a huge home market for AppGuard Personal, just need to dumb down the configuration pages or remove them.

There is nothing to dumb down. The user just needs to use one of the default policies if they want simple protection that will provide high security.

It's the paranoids on these forums that want advanced configurations against rare advanced attacks that make it appear complicated.

AppGuard has the flexibility to be what the user wants it to be. That is the nature of all software restriction policy protections.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread author
I don't think apps such as Appguard have such a large market... most people just want software that they may install and forget not something they have to learn how it works to use correctly.

People cannot even figure out how Windows and Windows Defender works.

AppGuard is set-and-forget, but just like anything else IT, the user has to learn how it works. AppGuard is 95 % less complicated than any internet security suite.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The average noob user probably does not have unsigned apps regularly running from user space, so he should not run into any problem with out-of-the-box settings -- until he tries to install something, or a sloppy program update takes place. Then he will start to see all sorts of scary things. That's where Appguard could make it easier for the beginning user. The first couple times, the user should see a nice, friendly window telling him what happened: "Dear Sir or Madame, are you trying to install or update a program?" and super easy instructions what to do.

Thread author
The average noob user probably does not have unsigned apps regularly running from user space, so he should not run into any problem with out-of-the-box settings -- until he tries to install something, or a sloppy program update takes place. Then he will start to see all sorts of scary things. That's where Appguard could make it easier for the beginning user. The first couple times, the user should see a nice, friendly window telling him what happened: "Dear Sir or Madame, are you trying to install or update a program?" and super easy instructions what to do.

There is a user's manual that covers all that.

I think there should be AppGuard University because everybody needs more than simply installing a security soft. A security soft by itself - no matter how many bells & whistles, "Next Gen Ai" or whatever it has - is an incomplete security solution.

Anyone who says otherwise is dishonest.

Emsisoft has a famous saying "Technology is not enough..." They use that phrase for a lot of time proven good reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

cimmay

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Seen one the other day from Emsisoft: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing..."
I'm content with leave it alone approach with AppGuard, since I can't get anything working the way I want, even after following the instructions. I figure it's that way by default to prevent errors and keep it safe.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Seen one the other day from Emsisoft: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing..."
I'm content with leave it alone approach with AppGuard, since I can't get anything working the way I want, even after following the instructions. I figure it's that way by default to prevent errors and keep it safe.
If you read instructions and still have a specific problem, you could trying posting it, maybe someone here can help you figure it out.

cimmay

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If you read instructions and still have a specific problem, you could trying posting it, maybe someone here can help you figure it out.

Thanks, I would like Opera's autoupdate to function without using AppGuard's "allow installs" enabled. The messages were posted here but removed by someone. I will try again with just one to illustrate:
10/25/17 12:24:14 Prevented process <pid: 6012> from writing to <c:\windows\temp\opera autoupdate\installer.exe>.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Well: a question, which has AppGuard that has no Virus Thanks, use the 14 day demo, but I looked like an antiexe

Reactions: Weebarra

Thread author
Thanks, I would like Opera's autoupdate to function without using AppGuard's "allow installs" enabled. The messages were posted here but removed by someone. I will try again with just one to illustrate:
10/25/17 12:24:14 Prevented process <pid: 6012> from writing to <c:\windows\temp\opera autoupdate\installer.exe>.

If you have a paid license then you can submit a support request to AppGuard@BlueRidge.com.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Abu
Here's a couple things you could try:
1 Add Opera to list of trusted publishers
2 look in log and find out the subfolder that Opera updates from, and exclude it from User space (using * to replace version number if necessary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.