Battle Stay with Emsisoft? Or switch to G-data BitDefender Vipre or something else?

Compare list
G-Data EmsiSoft BitDefender Vypre

CypherZero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2017
What do you think? Should I renew my EmsiSoft Anti-Malware OR, should I switch to G-data , BitDefender or something else? What do you think is the strongest anti-malware solution right now?

Presently I'm running Emsi-Soft (I like it's light footprint and it's behavior blocker) along with HitmanPro Alert and VoodooShield. But since my EmsiSoft is up for renewal I thought I'd reach out for some "second opinions".

I'm asking for two reasons (MOSTLY #1 below):
  1. While I believe EmsiSoft is very good, I'm wondering here in early 2019 if there's something better?
  2. I saw a couple of reviews on PCMag.com from Feb 2019 & Oct 2018 re: EmsiSoft that got me thinking.

I've used Kaspersky in the past but it's not the direction I want to go right now so ... what else? What do you like better than EmsiSoft and why?

CypherZero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2017
Hi NightWalker, I agree, I think EmsiSoft is very good. Not sure I'm going to change. There were a couple of reviews I read on PcMag.com that got me thinking - AND - just wondering if perhaps there might now be a stronger solution here in early 2019 so wanted to get people's thoughts.

If you've been doing well all this time Emsisoft, what are you going to change for?
Emsisoft is a good Antivirus I have used it.(y)

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I would say that if you are happy with Emsisoft and have no issues with it, I would just stay with it. It's a very good program, has great protection and probably one of the best, if not THE best customer support out there IMO.

In saying all of this, there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying other programs to see if there is something you like better. I would take advantage of the trial periods for each of the programs you are interested in and see what you think. Try running them for at least 3 weeks to get a good feel for each product. There's no such thing as a perfect product, every security program will have their up's and down's. One day Emsisoft will be at the "top" another day GData, etc...The PC mag test you have referred to should be taken with a grain of salt. I wouldn't rely on it or other tests in general to make your decision. As I've mentioned, no product can protect you 100% of the time, so it's always advised you practice safe habits at all times, regardless of which ever program you end up using.

At the end of the day if you are interested in trying out other programs, take advantage of their trial periods and see what you think. I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but at the end of the day you are the one that has to be happy, not us. After all it's your money and your system. What others may like, may not be for you and that's totally cool. There are tons of great programs out there, pick and choose which one you like most. :)

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i agree with the above. but i would add a 3rd party firewall like zonealarm firewall and get rid of voodooshield.

i would get syshardener which does not use resources. and 'run by smartscreen' which is already being used. also windows defender browser protection, which uses almost no resource.

i would ignore pcmag and follow the MalwareTips hub for real info.

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
If you are only using an AV, there could be better solutions.

Here is the latest from SE Labs.

But once you start mixing in extensions and other security software (VooDoo, Syshardener, OSArmor, MBAM Pro...), then these tests mean less.

Emsisoft has always been respectable. Fabian (participant here) is great in educating us about the product and other security matters.

I used to use Emsi on one computer. I liked it. I didn't love it. Too many false positives then.. I don't know about now.

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
I would check out the reviews for emsisoft for the last month or so on YouTube, also notice
Sophos Home Premium reviews in last 30 days too. Here are 2 links:

tpsc is biased. they are paid to promote sophos.

hmp.a is in sophos.

a lot of AV fail ransomware tests. sophos was not tested for ransomware.

i would have bought sophos instead of HMP.A.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
I would stay with Emsisoft. It's a reliable product, very strong protection, they have an excellent customer care service and it's working well for you. Do not change except for some really strong reasons to do so. Too much real-time protection though. HMPA with Emsisoft very often cause some performance issues. EAM is strong enough to protect your system alone. You may add Voodooshield to it if required.

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
tpsc is biased. they are paid to promote sophos.

hmp.a is in sophos.

a lot of AV fail ransomware tests. sophos was not tested for ransomware.

i would have bought sophos instead of HMP.A.

No I don't think he is biased, in fact I think he said that he works for Emsisoft. But they reviewed bad, in his last 2 videos.

Reactions: Nevi

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
No I don't think he is biased, in fact I think he said that he works for Emsisoft. But they reviewed bad, in his last 2 videos.
this is what it says under his video. if you buy using his link. he gets money.
Sophos Home Premium Review

The PC Security Channel [TPSC]
Published on Feb 16, 2019

A full on automated test of Sophos Home Premium vs over a thousand malware samples. Find a full explanation of the test method and results at: https://www.thepcsecuritychannel.com

Want to get Sophos Home Premium? Get a discount: https://buy.home.sophos.com/1461/cook...

Last edited:

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
this is what it says under his video. if you buy using his link. he gets money.
Sophos Home Premium Review

The PC Security Channel [TPSC]
Published on Feb 16, 2019

A full on automated test of Sophos Home Premium vs over a thousand malware samples. Find a full explanation of the test method and results at: https://www.thepcsecuritychannel.com

Want to get Sophos Home Premium? Get a discount: https://buy.home.sophos.com/1461/cook...

Well I don't have a problem with that, it's good ole capitalism, and advertising, still that doesn't mean emsisoft is as good as sophos, per the video emsisoft didn't do so good, and still again, I believe he works for emsisoft. You'll have to double check, I might be wrong.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
If you are happy with emsisoft then stay with it..if u wanna just change suite then try all..if u can pay..
No AV is perfect ..Kaspersky is the only AV that can roll back the encryption to previous state..F secure saves you if any malware has a new hash ( DG blocks it as rare file)..some extra added protective layers with alongside other modules.

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
If you are only using an AV, there could be better solutions.

Here is the latest from SE Labs.

View attachment 208779

But once you start mixing in extensions and other security software (VooDoo, Syshardener, OSArmor, MBAM Pro...), then these tests mean less.

Emsisoft has always been respectable. Fabian (participant here) is great in educating us about the product and other security matters.

I used to use Emsi on one computer. I liked it. I didn't love it. Too many false positives then.. I don't know about now.
Emsisoft (y)or you can go with avast they improve a lot recently.

Last edited:

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
who reviewed bad in his last 2 video's? he did not review emsisoft. they may not have paid him to review them.

there are 2 video's of sophos in a little over a year. they were never reviewed for ransomware like others. both sophos reviews, reviewed good. it is recommended on his website.

computer solutions reviewed sophos and it failed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.