Computer specs

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
I reverted back to 1809 and now will try to install BD free
2 times i had a loop at bootup after windows updates in 1903 (solved by return to a previous point in system restore before the updates happen) , so i gues its not completly good for my pc :)

Edit : BD free up and running ! installed succesfull.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Just installed BD Free in my VM with W10 Pro x64 1903 without issues, this system has MWB3 Free and got no warning/errors of incompatibilities during the installation proces...

Update: I've also noticed that after some minutes, BDF got update:

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Today I tried it against some pup. Drama.:LOL: The weak part to Bitdefender. And i am impressed from AndyFul/Run-By-Smartscreen . It helps a lot in the weaknesses of Bitdefender.

And a problem I noticed in the web filter. If you clear cookies the first one or two klicks at browser blocked as unsafe pages. Even the gmail blocked by Bitdefenfer. If you click again it does not block it again.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
And i am impressed from AndyFul/Run-By-Smartscreen . It helps a lot in the weaknesses of Bitdefender.
Windows 10 will usually do the same Smartscreen check on downloaded files, even without Andy's tool, but the tool comes in very handy for files lacking mark-of-the-web. That could be files on a flash drive, compressed files downloaded in rar format, and other cases.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Windows 10 will usually do the same Smartscreen check on downloaded files, even without Andy's tool, but the tool comes in very handy for files lacking mark-of-the-web. That could be files on a flash drive, compressed files downloaded in rar format, and other cases.
That would be the way of using RunBySmartScreen by some (usually advanced) users. But, RunBySmartScreen is intended to for opening all new\unsafe\unknown files. If the file is from not dangerous category (checked by file extension), then it is allowed to be opened (photos, media files, etc.). If the files can be abused but are commonly used (PDF, DOCX, etc.), then an alert is displayed, like the below:

Additionally, for MS Office documents and PDF files, the Mark Of The Web (MOTW) is added. So, the applications open those files as if they were downloaded from the Internet.

If the user tries to open the shortcut with the command line, then it is blocked with an alert:

Compressed archives not supported by Windows build-in unpacker (.7z, .arj, .rar, .zipx) are blocked with an alert and short warning:

Other files with dangerous extensions (over 250 file types) are blocked with an alert, for example:

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I had a problem pinning new ConfigureDefender icon to taskbar and I had to click twice to open. A restart later seems to have solved it. And I get the logon screen blink twice on cold boot or restart. Otherwise running smooth here.
I think all we have some small problems. The nexr time I will not update so quickly.

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Added
Kaspersky free.
After high spikes in CPU usage and ram usage, and many delays from WD.
Added Brave browser.
Opera browser have incompatibility problems with windows 10 1903.
Added
Privacy Eraser Free because support Brave.
After that my laptop works well.

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I have long said that the best protection for me is Kaspersky. But when Kaspersky installed in my system it was very heavy. Now installed on my same system with windows 10 1903. Big difference. Very fast boot, no delays in my system , and it consume very low ram.

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Added again Avast free tweaked.
AVIRA FREE is one light protection with good signatures (not perfect). It has reduced protection compared to AVIRA PRO. And compared with Kaspersky free, Avast free, AVG free Is left behind in time. Ugly GUI , difficult settings, does not have safe browsing, and behavior blocking. It is slightly better and lighter than windows defender. But if you are using windows defender with AndyFul / Configure Defender it is not worth installing Avira free.

DistroGR

Aug 10, 2019
If you try choice Avast because of hardener mode. Block the avastUI.exe for stoping the ads. For me is one of the light and best antivirus. With syshardener is very secure.
So Στέφανε you Recommend AVAST PRO? 100% Me i use it 2-3 years now and i am very satisfied. A guy installed me Avira told me i will like it better but No i don't. Nice trick to block AvastUI with firewall for the Ads.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.