Troubleshoot Strange hdd issue

• Thread starter Crystal_Lake_Camper
  • Start date
C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
After performing a factory reset using the built in recovery console when the process was finished ( innitial first updates ) i wanted to procede to build 1115 upgrade i got the Message that my hdd whas almost full ( only 2 % space left ) searched the net to see of others had something happend to them , could not Find anything , even on the acer support page.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Ran ccleaner , wisecleaner and Privazer ( hibernate files and old Windows install options ticked ) only maneged to recover 9 gigs of space back
I hope Some one with technical insights can help me with this. I have never encountered this before.

C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
Thanks but i do not have a Windows 10 ( or any other Windows install discs here :( ) also this laptop has no dvd reader / writer built in , i do have an external one , i am not sure if that Will work?

Reactions: Rishi and Venustus
Upvote 0

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
I would do three things, as I'm facing a different problem, but still to do with my HDD.

1. Run Windows Directory Statistics. It would give you a nice overview of where your space is being used up.
WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics
2. Run a diagnostic tool from the HDD manufacturer.
3. Install Acronis Drive Monitor (its free and definitely went with its advice, that my HDD was not healthy and might fail, who knows when)
Нard drive health - Acronis Drive Monitor

Edit: 3 steps // definitely run WinDirStat

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks but i do not have a Windows 10 ( or any other Windows install discs here :( ) also this laptop has no dvd reader / writer built in , i do have an external one , i am not sure if that Will work?
Go here and download the ISO,save it to a USB,and install.
It worked for me!!;)

Upvote 0
C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
Retried to do factory reset again got up to 62 % and then got the Message factory reset could not be completed got that Message also yesterday evening :s

Reactions: Rishi
Upvote 0

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Retried to do factory reset again got up to 62 % and then got the Message factory reset could not be completed got that Message also yesterday evening :s
Don't do a reset,try the clean install I mentioned above!!
Format your primary drive and use the ISO to install!!
If you have a valid licence,the install should work seamlessly!!
Hope this helps!!:)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
follow @venustus advice.

does the version of Windows you had before the reset was upgraded from the one offered with the laptop? if yes , the factory image won't be completed because the hidden recovery partitions (needed for the reset) are moved due to the upgrades so the Reset feature can't locate them anymore.

Upvote 0

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
@VatosLocos, with HDDs you can never tell. One minute they're fine, the next minute they're gone :/

Definitely run Windirstat first (to settle your and our curiosity), if you don't want to reinstall everything.

windirstat.jpg

Upvote 0
C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
Hello Guys thanks For all the support! I have called acer customer support and explained my problem they Said i most likely is hdd faillure! So ups Will pick it up tommorow and it Will be examinated. Will get it back in 5 or 10 workdays. Edit there is no other computer here at home so i do not have the possibillity to make the iso recovery tool

Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Hello Guys thanks For all the support! I have called acer customer support and explained my problem they Said i most likely is hdd faillure! So ups Will pick it up tommorow and it Will be examinated. Will get it back in 5 or 10 workdays. Edit there is no other computer here at home so i do not have the possibillity to make the iso recovery tool
That is a bummer but i know how you feel this Toshiba PC it,s HDD only lasted 3 days and had to send it back. Been fine since.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Sometimes HDD failure rate are very unpredictable, no matter what time it will happen due to many factors occur. Glad the diagnosis is clearly mentioned; as usual even though another expenses but its a time to migrate on SSD. ;)

Upvote 0
C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
I got my pc back today , summary : no HDD faillure :) like @Umbra said that new windows 10 build did the trick....it messed up the hidden restore partition , so windows had to be reinstalled via the isofile on usb.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.