AVLab.pl Summary of security tests in the year 2020 | Product of the year awards!

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
Forgot to mention, I think its unusual that Comodo bothers having an AV when its detection is so far behind the competition. I would expect such a seemingly capable company to step up their game a bit, but I guess its still helpful for the average user. I'm a huge fan of their HIPS, wish they would put some more work into it and patch some bugs. I've been rocking Kaspersky for now since its really stable and well-rounded.

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
I think life is a bit more nuanced for those that aren’t security enthusiasts. It’s a spectrum of people like any other area.
I understand that a lot of people think and feel that way. The change has to be at a society level. The standards of what people need to know and do needs to be set by society. Remember, the real issue is not home users. Enterprise security is atrocious because most admins just "try to get things to work" and when it does, they leave it at that.

IT security is a world problem, a societal problem - and not merely an individual problem. If IT security is left always to the individual and the corporation, then nothing is ever going to change. The laws across the world and the expectations that you can't hold people accountable at a bare minimum level is another obsolete mode of thinking about users.

Everything is connected via the internet. So the collective is responsible. Everything cannot stay the same like the Wild Wild West where everybody just does whatever "to their own ability." Huge sums of money are involved here. And believe it or not, ultimately those financial losses are being transmitted to consumers and tax payers.

It is a difficult issue. But until the way of solving it changes, nothing will change. The answer is not merely installing AV. It takes a lot more than that.

I hate to say this, but anyone who is younger than age 30 should be fully IT security literate at a basic level - across the entire world. Now it is govts and society (to include industry) that need to make that happen. And as time goes on, and younger people who are more comfortable with IT security increase as a percentage of the world population, the world will come out of the IT Security Dark Ages.

There is no reason why children cannot be taught

Adrian Ścibor

guide to IT security (local host and router hardening). It's not that difficult. Something that most any grade and high school student can learn in a couple of weeks. It is like a 1 or 2 week project. Then after the student just needs to keep doing it over and over. It's more important for them to learn than spending countless hours gaming or wasting time on a million other non-important things in life.

Just wait until one day some ATP group cripples for months a national social welfare or other distributed system and the govt cannot issue benefits, or pay its bill, or damages the electric grid so badly that the electricity is off for months. Can't happen. Oh, it has already happened. It might have been on a limited scale so far, but it is just a matter of time before defenders make serious mistakes in protecting their digital assets and some malc0de group comes along and smashes a society. Society should be afraid. Very afraid.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I understand that a lot of people think and feel that way. The change has to be at a society level. The standards of what people need to know and do needs to be set by society. Remember, the real issue is not home users. Enterprise security is atrocious because most admins just "try to get things to work" and when it does, they leave it at that.

IT security is a world problem, a societal problem - and not merely an individual problem. If IT security is left always to the individual and the corporation, then nothing is ever going to change. The laws across the world and the expectations that you can't hold people accountable at a bare minimum level is another obsolete mode of thinking about users.

Everything is connected via the internet. So the collective is responsible. Everything cannot stay the same like the Wild Wild West where everybody just does whatever "to their own ability." Huge sums of money are involved here. And believe it or not, ultimately those financial losses are being transmitted to consumers and tax payers.

It is a difficult issue. But until the way of solving it changes, nothing will change. The answer is not merely installing AV. It takes a lot more than that.

I hate to say this, but anyone who is younger than age 30 should be fully IT security literate at a basic level - across the entire world. Now it is govts and society (to include industry) that need to make that happen. And as time goes on, and younger people who are more comfortable with IT security increase as a percentage of the world population, the world will come out of the IT Security Dark Ages.

There is no reason why children cannot be taught

Adrian Ścibor

guide to IT security (local host and router hardening). It's not that difficult. Something that most any grade and high school student can learn in a couple of weeks. It is like a 1 or 2 week project. Then after the student just needs to keep doing it over and over. It's more important for them to learn than spending countless hours gaming or wasting time on a million other non-important things in life.

Just wait until one day some ATP group cripples for months a national social welfare or other distributed system and the govt cannot issue benefits, or pay its bill, or damages the electric grid so badly that the electricity is off for months. Can't happen. Oh, it has already happened. It might have been on a limited scale so far, but it is just a matter of time before defenders make serious mistakes in protecting their digital assets and some malc0de group comes along and smashes a society. Society should be afraid. Very afraid.
Your earlier rant makes more sense now in the context of enterprise users. It’s a shame it’s taking some devastating attacks for orgs and employees to take this stuff seriously.

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
Your earlier rant makes more sense now in the context of enterprise users. It’s a shame it’s taking some devastating attacks for orgs and employees to take this stuff seriously.
We're all connected. Home users are equally to blame as they get infected and thereby infect others, including infecting businesses and organizations. The same applies in reverse. You can't just point the finger at enterprises and organizations.

Software is not security. Taking the approach of solving user security with software because "they can't handle security" is the model that has been used for decades. And just look at the results. Plus the answer to the malware problem is not open source nor artificial intelligence.

I will give you a very apt example of the real underlying problem with IT security generally. It is like societal challenge of solving the ghastly obesity problem because people over eat and don't exercise. Well the societal IT security problem is very much the same.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.