New Update Surfshark VPN now names itself in newest Update "Surfshark one Security Suite"

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Seems like Surfshark wants to go the AV route with the newest Podcast on youtube where the windows lead naming the AV his baby.

Yet they dont even have a Real time protection AV ( they use Avira SDK atm )

in 3.4.4 they started that.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Yep specially a few months ago the Anti virus part was its own "program" in the list so you could uninstall it , since then they unified it with the surfshark VPN entry so you literarily need now to disable the AV service ( which is easy) and delete the AV .exe

did i mention the "AV" also runs 24/7 even if you dont own "surfshark one"

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Its worse than useless, this is straight up dangerous, people who buy it are expecting real time protection, with this youre not even getting zero day protection, even when you get real time protection theres no reason to use this over the free version of Avira, with it youre atleast getting protection against new malware.

Last edited:

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
I just stopped my subscription.
I'm going to look for another VPN, forcing something you don't need/want, I don't like it!
I can recommend Mullvad , very transparent in everything they do ( patch notes , server lists , hell they even let you inspect diagnostic logs pre upload ) , fast knowledgeable support , flat rate , fast updates.

Reactions: [correlate]

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I can recommend Mullvad , very transparent in everything they do ( patch notes , server lists , hell they even let you inspect diagnostic logs pre upload ) , fast knowledgeable support , flat rate , fast updates.

I had Mullvad, but Twitch blocks his IP's (very annoying, because I'm a moderator of some streams) ... so I uninstalled it...

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
NordVpn seems to be going the same way with their Threat Protection feature.Recently it started warning you that your antivirus may interfere with their Threat Protection module...annoying!

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
NordVpn seems to be going the same way with their Threat Protection feature.Recently it started warning you that your antivirus may interfere with their Threat Protection module...annoying!
Oh yeah but they absolutely make a new In house engine for that they dont use avast or any third part engine , atleast they told me when i asked them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.