Solved Suspected virus stopping me using any browser.

Maflingo

Thread author
Jan 3, 2018
I have Sophos on my system which works in the background. The virus scan hasn't found anything.
I used Spybot search and destroy and fixed any general items it found (no signs of trojan or anything)
I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode. No infection found with malwarebytes. I am having to load spyware/malware programs onto USB from another computer as I can't get online.

I couldn't perform system restore as it said there was a file missing or it could be because of an antivirus program running.

As I said, I am having a similar problem with another PC today. That has similar symptoms but it also kept opening an IBM Trusteer Rapport window saying the extension wasn't installed on chrome. I uninstalled rapport but still had problems.

Help me obi-wan-kenobi! You're my only hope!

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    67 KB · Views: 2
  • FRST.txt
    114.5 KB · Views: 1

Maflingo

Thread author
Jan 3, 2018
I have Sophos on my system which works in the background. The virus scan hasn't found anything.
I used Spybot search and destroy and fixed any general items it found (no signs of trojan or anything)
I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode. No infection found with malwarebytes. I am having to load spyware/malware programs onto USB from another computer as I can't get online.

I couldn't perform system restore as it said there was a file missing or it could be because of an antivirus program running.

As I said, I am having a similar problem with another PC today. That has similar symptoms but it also kept opening an IBM Trusteer Rapport window saying the extension wasn't installed on chrome. I uninstalled rapport but still had problems.

Help me obi-wan-kenobi! You're my only hope!

I MENTIONED THE PROBLEMS I HAVE ON A SECOND PC (Not sure how I managed to infect both independently - I had run CCLeaner, Malwarebytes, and SPybot search and destroy on both)
These are the files for the 2nd PC displaying similar symptoms but it had the Trusteer Rapport problem. I thought I had better upload them so you can see if it is the same malware issue.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    43.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FRST.txt
    106.3 KB · Views: 1

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Your computer seems clean. Can you uninstall MalwareBytes temporarily to see if this solved the problem with your browser being slow?

Maflingo

Thread author
Jan 3, 2018
Hi,
Sorry, I only just realised you'd replied! I had just done a malwarebytes update - not just the definitions but an application update. Removing it as you suggested has everything running smoothly again, thanks.

Are the second set of FRST files for my other PC clean as well? It has been behaving strangely and id anything the issues are worse...Not allowing me to run some virus software etc. Let me know if I need to submit another ticket for you to have a look a those for me please?
Thanks very much, I appreciate your help.

Maflingo

Thread author
Jan 3, 2018
Hi
Thanks so much for checking this out and pointing me to Malwarebytes as the issue regarding speed and issues. I've removed it from both systems now and they are both running fine. You have saved me hours of time looking for virus issues that don't exist!
Kind regards
Maflingo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.