Switching to Ubuntu: How do I secure it?

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Q&A - The one about security for Linux

I use an Ubuntu's distribution (ElementaryOS). I do not use an antivirus, instead i focus on prevention and build by browser to be protected:

• HTTPS Everywhere
  • Avira Browser Safety
  • PopUp Blocker (strict)
  • uBlock Origin
  • NoScript Suite

As well, do not give your password to anything and do not install software from unknown sources (careful with the terminal) and beware with giving administrator privileges (sudo) to unknown things.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I posted my prove in brave community but they didn't answer like they don't care :giggle:
I will not visit that forum again.
Check it
http://www.varzesh3.com/
This website is one of the famous websites in my country also it has good Alexa rank.
The best browser for me is Yandex because every time I contact them they answered.

Attachments

• brave.PNG
    brave.PNG
    468.1 KB · Views: 349

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Bottom line with Linux, without SUDO approval for any app or package it will not run.

So keeping that in mind never give SUDO privileges to any thing you aren't 100% convinced is legit

Following that strategy you will not get infected

>Or if you are hardcore like me. I don't run anything with SUDO privileges besides software updates and software from the software boutique

>I'm currently using Ubuntu MATE (Very secure generally speaking!!!!)

Reactions: ispx and frogboy

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
There are many settings in Yandex that you can tweak them for better privacy and also security.
It has many features that you cant find any of them in other chromium browsers like DNS crypt, Yandex Zen, protected mode which care about your online banking.
They are also against Google.

Reactions: Venustus and ispx

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I posted my prove in brave community but they didn't answer like they don't care :giggle:
I will not visit that forum again.
Check it
ورزش سه‌ :: صفحه اصلی
This website is one of the famous websites in my country also it has good Alexa rank.
The best browser for me is Yandex because every time I contact them they answered.

Hmm, I tried visiting ورزش سه‌ :: صفحه اصلی using uBlock Origin on Firefox, and these ads are not blocked. I tried reinstalling the add-on, and still, these ads are not blocked.

I then tried it with Privacy Badger, but again, the ads were not blocked.

Final try, I tried with AdGuard, but again, none of the ads were blocked. Also note, I added the Russian and Turkish AdGuard filters to Brave, but it still is not blocked.

This site seems to have bypassed some of the best ad blockers available, or maybe this is just me. Let me know what you use to block these ads, because from my testing, this site is bypassing everything.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Q&A - The one about security for Linux

I use an Ubuntu's distribution (ElementaryOS). I do not use an antivirus, instead i focus on prevention and build by browser to be protected:

• HTTPS Everywhere
  • Avira Browser Safety
  • PopUp Blocker (strict)
  • uBlock Origin
  • NoScript Suite

As well, do not give your password to anything and do not install software from unknown sources (careful with the terminal) and beware with giving administrator privileges (sudo) to unknown things.

Do you think the Brave browser would be good enough for replacing the add-ons you listed? I plan to avoid Google (Chrome) and Firefox at all costs.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Adguard can block these ads for me I don't know how I can only show you.
uBlock Origin on Firefox
That'ss why I don't use uBlockorigin because I found it buggy and not reliable.
Also, Privacy Badger is not an Adblocker so we shouldn't expect it to block these ads.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Do you think the Brave browser would be good enough for replacing the add-ons you listed? I plan to avoid Google (Chrome) and Firefox at all costs.
I have just taken a look over their website and i saw that browser blocks ads and trackers and encrypts HTTPS (i think they mean they enforce HTTPS when possible).

I don't think it's enough though, since you're using no antivirus you have no extension that can notify you if the Ubuntu package you're downloading is infected or is potentially dangerous. I use Opera for Linux and works faster and more secure than any other so far.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I have just taken a look over their website and i saw that browser blocks ads and trackers and encrypts HTTPS (i think they mean they enforce HTTPS when possible).

I don't think it's enough though, since you're using no antivirus you have no extension that can notify you if the Ubuntu package you're downloading is infected or is potentially dangerous. I use Opera for Linux and works faster and more secure than any other so far.
I plan to use ClamTK if that helps. I may use Opera or Yandex as a second browser, just for installing things.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I plan to use ClamTK if that helps. I may use Opera or Yandex as a second browser, just for installing things.
I have heard only negative arguments about Clam products. I tried Sophos, which i would say is the most installed Linux antivirus, and it slowed my system (noticed a delay on basic operations), so i just builded browser and avoid p2p/torrenting. Then it's safe enough.

As you may know, most malware targets Windows because it is more used. Still, malware for Linux exist. We reduce that possibility by prevention instead of detection. Secure your habits and browsers and that's it for this.

Reactions: Transhumana

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Take a look at the Security page on the Arch Wiki (the majority of the information applies to most distros), there's a lot of good information there.

I haven't used Brave a lot, but from what I've seen it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of functionality uBlock Origin has, such as choosing the filter lists it uses, adding your own filter lists and dynamic filtering.

You must've used Brave a while ago. I've been using it for about a week and I can add filter lists. They also have a list of filters I can add.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.