kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
That's sad, but anyway like you said and I agreed the newest version is still very underrated and should be used by way more people.

Reactions: icerulez

icerulez

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
yeah i will talk to my friends for try fortinet, and forum users should know this too, o_O

Reactions: kev216

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
so it is a unworthy product...

signatures are always bypassed. Just pack a malware with a legit exe , encrypt the whole and then it is done:

malware 1-0 signature AV
The signatures are not that bad according to my tests. They add new malware very quick to the database, so knowing that it fully relies on its signatures, it does a good job at protecting. Off course these days only signatures are not enough to protect you fully, so that's why I recommended it to use it in a combo with for example Comodo Firewall or something similar. As a standalone product, it is not bad, but if Fortinet would add some zero-day component themselves, it can be a succesfull product in my opinion.
@Umbra How about using it as a companion AV? Sounds like a perfect candidate, what do you think?
Yes it can be used as a companion AV afaik. If it is not for the signatures, than it is worth installing it for the excellent web filtering service (malicious website blocker) that's inside it. I think the web filter is the best thing about the whole product, and it's free so if you want to try it as a companion av, why not :)

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi i am trying 5.4 version in win 10 I find it very fast to pick up viruses but a bit of a hog in cpu and ram

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Yes it can be used as a companion AV afaik. If it is not for the signatures, than it is worth installing it for the excellent web filtering service (malicious website blocker) that's inside it. I think the web filter is the best thing about the whole product, and it's free so if you want to try it as a companion av, why not :)

This is interesting. I hope you understand that even while we value your testimony, it would be good to have some corroboration, especially from the company, that it can be used as a companion anti-virus. I do think there are some situations where some users can get away with using a certain pair of AVs on their system but users in general would find it to go badly. I even heard of one guy using three, LOL!

Performance test at av-comparitifs shows Fortinet as the most heavy AV !
AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Real World Protection Test Overview

It would be normal if the free version, having fewer features, were lighter than the premium version.

S

Sr. Normal

This is interesting. I hope you understand that even while we value your testimony, it would be good to have some corroboration, especially from the company, that it can be used as a companion anti-virus. I do think there are some situations where some users can get away with using a certain pair of AVs on their system but users in general would find it to go badly. I even heard of one guy using three, LOL!

I installed this afternoon FortiClient with ZoneAlarm AV +Firewall .

In the installation it detects that I have another AV and lets me choose between installing it as a companion or with all its features.

The truth is that if I install it as a companion, it does not install the real time protection. It installs the Web protection and the VPN components, but this way it is really a demand scanner and not an AV companion

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
Well according to Fortinet release notes
http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/2686/forticlient-5.2.5-windows-release-notes.pdf
"Conflicts with third party antivirus products: The antivirus feature in FortiClient is known to conflict with other similar products in the market. Consider removing other antivirus programs before installing FortiClien"

So apparently it wouldn't work with other AVs, let alone being designed to be a companion AV

S

Sr. Normal

"Conflicts with third party antivirus products: The antivirus feature in FortiClient is known to conflict with other similar products in the market. Consider removing other antivirus programs before installing FortiClien"
Fully clarified. No doubts. Thanks :)

icerulez

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 325
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 348

icerulez

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
Never heard Forticlient, so i will stick with popular AV for good sake of it.

here are the results for you mate, dont forget it it's completely free av

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 380
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 355
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 366
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 388

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
This is an old (was updated 6 months ago) FortiClient review on Raymond.cc Review on FortiClient, the FREE Antivirus by Fortinet • Raymond.CC

Sounds really interesting!
It is an interesting product. Although it is only a signature based AV, the results demonstrates that it has very good and often updated signatures, both in malware and url blocking, which is of course not always the case with those products. Often they fail completely but Forticlient can keep up with the big ones only with it's signatures.

S

Sr. Normal

My experience after 48 hours with FortiClient has not been all good. No improvement AV detection ZoneAlarm or WSA (which are what I have).

If I install FortiClient as companion, then it is a scanner on demand. I prefer for this function Zemana Antimalware, MBAM or EEK

It's a good antivirus, but for me, there are other better free options.

Anyway, I think a AV is good depending of the owner. How many comfortable are you working with it?. That´s the key, e.g. I use ZoneAlarm, which is not among the first ever free options and I'm very happy with it.

The best thing about it is that is really comfortable, is quick to detect malware and a very good Web protection

I insist that this is just my opinion. I'm not a reviewer, I just share with you my experience.

Ordered by value:

upload_2015-12-10_9-7-21.png upload_2015-12-10_9-8-37.png upload_2015-12-10_9-9-15.png upload_2015-12-10_9-9-58.png upload_2015-12-10_9-10-34.png upload_2015-12-10_9-11-16.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.