• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I use Kaspersky and have for many years. I bet Vladimir Putin is more trustworthy than the American Government - but, as usual it's all portrayed to benefit the rich and powerful. Kaspersky has even offered to take everything including the source-code to the USA Senate, but they would not even sit down and listen.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Not getting into the whole American thing as the United States is the biggest ally of the UK. But, the big question you must ask is how much do you trust the CIA, NSA etc.? Every Government has an agenda, and will use false intelligence to achieve this - just look at George W. Bush and Tony Blair's claims Iraq had weapons of mass destruction that could be launched in 20 minutes. Iraq had nothing, the war killed thousands and destroyed a country leading to ISIS. In the 1960's the USA Government had plans to kill its own people on a plane a blame Cuba; JFK blocked it. The CIA, NSA, MI6 do not publish their sources, so it cannot be checked.

Kaspersky has been behind the investigations into the Equation group (NSA), Stuxnet, Flame and Duqu - (maybe) due to these probably originating from America they want to harm Kaspersky, but needed a rouse to give them a bad name/reputation.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
With Russia (allegedly) using nerve agents on the streets of the UK and potentially leaving hundreds of people with permanent neurological damage, I am beginning to have second thoughts about this software.

I accept that Kaspersky is a private company, but would probably be forced to comply with any official requests from the Russian government. These dont seem like people that you can say "no" to !

During a radio discussion, I heard it speculated that the UK could try and retaliate by launching a serous cyber attack on Russian infrastrasucture. If that happened, we can be pretty sure that Russia would hit back. And maybe Kaspersky software would be a good vehicle for delivering this ?

Kasperky is on my PC for the time being, but I'm getting worried. When there are equally good alternatives available (Norton) I am wondering if its worth taking even a very slight risk.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

With Russia (allegedly) using nerve agents on the streets of the UK and potentially leaving hundreds of people with permanent neurological damage, I am beginning to have second thoughts about this software.

When a single drop kills someone without a trace why spread it all over unless you want to be sure they find traces of it? Remember, the CIA and GCHQ has this same so-called 'rare' Russian nerve agent. The US and UK were asked by the Uzbek govt. in the 2000's with help destroying a former Russian research facility in Nukus, Uzbekistan. At the time the UK and USA obtained significant quantities of this nerve agent. This eliminating the need for further 'banned' research because the Russians already did all of it, and perfected it.

Since this agent is very very restricted by the Russian Govt. and held under tight controls, it would be incredibly implausible for them to 'sloppily' use it to assassinate someone in broad daylight. It would be IMMEDIATELY traced back to them. Given the toxicity of this agent, having them survive seems like happenstance that defy rational explanation.

By design, they want you to have 'second thoughts' about everything Russian, including this software. Just keep an open mind, not everything is as it seems.

D

Deleted member 65228

I accept that Kaspersky is a private company, but would probably be forced to comply with any official requests from the Russian government. These dont seem like people that you can say "no" to !
Kaspersky are a security security firm, not a government agency. They don't get told plans by the Russian government and give the green light, it has absolutely nothing to do with them. Just like in every country, the government can request data.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I want to be very clear that I have nothing against Russia or Russian people. It is a country I would like to visit.

For the record, I also think that the nerve agent attack could have been made by a non-Russian country. There is a lot we are not being told !

However, my point is about Kaspersky. If the UK were to launch a cyber attack on Russia, the Russian government would surely respond. Would they possibly be able to exert pressure on Kaspersky to help them with this ?

As I say, I currently use Kapersky myself. So I trust them. But I am just asking the question.

D

Deleted member 65228

For the record, I also think that the nerve agent attack could have been made by a non-Russian country. There is a lot we are not being told !
It's possible but highly unlikely given the nerve agent used and who was targeted. The main victim was a spy for the UK against Russia in the past and was actually captured and imprisoned in Russia (allegedly), however was later returned to the UK as part of some sort of exchange deal many, many years ago (allegedly). One real issue I have with all of the news regardless of who was responsible was the fact that the targets daughter was innocent entirely (was not even a spy) and was killed which is quite disgusting if you ask me.

The nerve agent was a Russian creation and would have been closely locked down, so not anyone would have just been able to steal it from their military and use it. Not to mention that it was not something you cannot just randomly create, it would have to extremely precise in measurements of chemicals and the formula would have taken a long time to be developed by Russia in the first place. You would need a lot of resources, both in testing, science, space for working and access to a variety of chemicals used in the process of the development to be able to do it... and time would be a huge factor. Money would also be another huge factor.

If it was someone / another government / a criminal group trying to frame Russia, there would have been much easier ways to go about it. Especially given how the reputation Russia has after the recent news about NotPetya was already falling.

These are just my personal opinions though.

However, my point is about Kaspersky. If the UK were to launch a cyber attack on Russia, the Russian government would surely respond. Would they possibly be able to exert pressure on Kaspersky to help them with this ?
The answer is Yes since Kaspersky is registered and resides within Russia. If it came down to it, Kaspersky would be forced to do whatever the Russian government wanted to do. However, Kaspersky could theoretically just refuse. I don't know what those consequences would bring though. Probably imprisonment or worse.

That being said, the US government dropped usage of Kaspersky entirely and the UK followed in those steps by not recommending Kaspersky anymore and UK banks stopped offering it for free service as part of the package of using their services.

Unless you're a government agent, your intelligence will likely be completely useless to a government agency with trying to fight against the government of where you're situated. All you will have as a normal home user is typical, average home user content... it'd be useless to them.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The nerve agent was a Russian creation and would have been closely locked down, so not anyone would have just been able to steal it from their military and use it. Not to mention that it was not something you cannot just randomly create, it would have to extremely precise in measurements of chemicals and the formula would have taken a long time to be developed by Russia in the first place.

Except the UK and USA have a supply of this already.. That's the problem here, it's use is a bit too obvious and would immediately appear to be a Russian act. However Russia could have used any number of substances from other countries instead of this one. As you can see from this article, both the US and UK have a good supply from Uzbekistan.

The Nerve Agent Too Deadly to Use, Until Someone Did

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Here is another article from the same source that @ForgottenSeer 58943 posted and thanks for posting it ForgottenSeer 58943.

As Putin’s Opponents Flocked to London, His Spies Followed

Who in their right mind thinks London is safe from anything? UK has little backbone in these matters.

If you want safety you move to Billings Montana, buy a 10 acre plot of land, fence it up, add a couple of German Shepards to run loose, put some cameras up and live happily ever after. London? Oh heck no!

D

Deleted member 65228

You just gave your exact location to countries that have intercontinental missiles? Bad move... :)
The mountains are cloaked with special material which makes it invisible to the naked eye or any technology present in the standard 2018. The cloaking works by manipulating how light is perceived, thus acting as an invisible scope.

I also have a self-made suit which replicates the purr implementation which cats possess, sending low-frequency vibrations around my body. This pushes blood flow and speeds up reactions in the human body allowing broken scar tissue and broken bones to generate at an enhanced 2-4x speed faster, exactly how cats regenerate faster.

Oh, and I am 1000 years old. :p

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
The mountains are cloaked with special material which makes it invisible to the naked eye or any technology present in the standard 2018. The cloaking works by manipulating how light is perceived, thus acting as an invisible scope.

I also have a self-made suit which replicates the purr implementation which cats possess, sending low-frequency vibrations around my body. This pushes blood flow and speeds up reactions in the human body allowing broken scar tissue and broken bones to generate at an enhanced 2-4x speed faster, exactly how cats regenerate faster.

Oh, and I am 1000 years old. :p

Should I be worried that it all made sense to me?

D

Deleted member 65228

Should I be worried that it all made sense to me?
xD

Well the suit vibration thing, it's an idea I recently thought of for health-care. The idea came to me when I thought about how cats purr which vibrates their body and how they can heal quite quickly... I did some research into it and my thoughts appear to actually be possible, but it's never been tested in the same way. Allegedly in 2009 tests were done for this with lab rats and it showed positive results but nothing more was heard about it since AFAIK so who knows, maybe the idea was flawed down the line of human testing and didn't prove to work for us in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.