Serious Discussion Tiny11 is out—a lightweight and debloated Windows 11 for less powerful computers

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Windows 11 is infamous for steep hardware requirements that make it hard to use the operating system on less powerful computers or devices with older yet still capable hardware. There are many ways to bypass the limitations, but you cannot work around Windows 11's large footprint and tons of, let's put it mildly, unnecessary components. Therefore, installing stock Windows 11 on unsupported hardware might result in a less-than-satisfying experience. This is where Tiny11 comes to play. Tiny11 is the original Windows 11 version 22H2 stripped down to the very vitals. The mod requires only 8GB on a drive (stock Windows 11 chews more than 20GB), works on systems with 2GB of RAM, and does not need Trusted Platform Module or Secure Boot. You can even upgrade from Windows 10 to Tiny11.Tiny11 provides just the necessary components, such as accessibility tools, Windows Terminal, Microsoft Store, Calculator, Notepad, and Paint. There is no Microsoft Edge, so you can install the browser you want without the operating system begging you to stay with Edge. Also, Tiny11 works with offline accounts by default, but you can sign in with a Microsoft Account.

I tried this, it is a great option however when I looked to see what windows edition was on my machine it said it was Windows 11 Enterprise

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I installed this build yesterday.

- it's Windows 11 Enterprise, not Windows 11 Pro, so you probably can't legally activate it

- It took me 30 gigabytes and I don't understand why while everybody writes that it's shrinking to almost 8

- SFC and DISM give out system integrity errors, updates try to install but won't install due to errors, although that's to be expected

- no browser at all, but there is a Win Store and a basic set of preinstalled applications with it

In the end I could not figure out what it is and why it is needed. :)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
- it's Windows 11 Enterprise, not Windows 11 Pro, so you probably can't legally activate it

- It took me 30 gigabytes and I don't understand why while everybody writes that it's shrinking to almost 8

- SFC and DISM give out system integrity errors, updates try to install but won't install due to errors, although that's to be expected

- no browser at all, but there is a Win Store and a basic set of preinstalled applications with it

In the end I could not figure out what it is and why it is needed. :)
It is Windows 11 Pro and it automatically activated for me because the laptop I installed it on has a digital license. If yours it showing Windows 11 Enterprise, you don't have Tiny11 from NTDEV. NTDEV's Tiny11 was only released a few days ago, but there have been other Tiny11s in the past, from different sources. For me, it is using only 6GB of disk space.

I haven't run SFC or DISM as I only run these when I have issues with Windows. Windows Update is working fine. But as with the different Tiny11 you used, it also includes no browser.

Builds like this are useful for running on low end PCs to get better performance than regular Windows 11 and for PCs with limited RAM and storage space, such as laptops with 2GB RAM and 32GB storage.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
If yours it showing Windows 11 Enterprise, you don't have Tiny11 from NTDEV. NTDEV's Tiny11 was only released a few days ago, but there have been other Tiny11s in the past, from different sources. For me, it is using only 6GB of disk space.

I downloaded the image from the link in the news - tiny11 : NTDEV : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
I also downloaded it afterwards via torrent to check that I was not mistaken.

SHA: 340db8f1018790d00105dfe3e550a34bbc3c597b

And I'm not the only one who wrote that the corporate edition is being installed. It's weird, but it's a fact.

Shino_As

Feb 20, 2023
I downloaded the image from the link in the news - tiny11 : NTDEV : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
I also downloaded it afterwards via torrent to check that I was not mistaken.

SHA: 340db8f1018790d00105dfe3e550a34bbc3c597b

And I'm not the only one who wrote that the corporate edition is being installed. It's weird, but it's a fact.
There were two isos. tiny11 b2 and tiny11 b1.
I installed b2 and it says Win11 pro version.
Maybe you installed the b1 and got enterprise?

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Last month, @NTDEV_, creator of the popular tiny10/11 Windows modification, released tiny10 version 23H2, a modern Windows 10 image with unnecessary components removed. Those who left Windows 10 behind and moved to Windows 11 can also taste a lightweight operating system as tiny11 23H2 is now available for download.

Like its Windows 10-based counterpart, tiny11 23H2 is a modified Windows 11 ISO rebuilt using the open-source OSDBuilder tool with a few extra tweaks. The latter ensures the project is compatible with most Windows components, apps, and updates. As a result, you get a modern and reliable operating system that takes significantly less space on disk than the "vanilla" Windows 11.

Another big change in tiny11 23H2 is Xbox Identity Provider support, which means tiny11 users can finally play games downloaded from the Microsoft Store and use Xbox-related services.

You can see tiny11 23H2 in action on a YouTube video published by the developer:

It is worth noting that despite carrying a 23H2 moniker, the latest tiny11 is still based on Windows 11 22H2 since version 23H2 is not out yet. Again, like tiny10, "23H2" only indicates a release from the second half of 2023 (there is no such thing as Windows 10 23H2).

There are two more things you must consider before downloading tiny11. First, it is not activated. @NTDEV_ aims to provide users with a lightweight Windows modification, not a way to pirate Microsoft's operating system. Second, consider potential privacy implications when downloading altered Windows ISOs and ensure you trust the developer before using tiny11 for your daily computing tasks. Alternatively, you can create your own tiny11 using the OSDBuilder script.

You can download tiny11 version 23H2 from the Internet Archive. The ISO is x64-only for now (Windows 11 is not available in 32-bit "flavor"), but the developer says an ARM64 variant will be available soon.

Source

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

Not so long ago, X (formerly Twitter) user @NTDEV_ released tiny10 version 23H2, giving users a clean and lightweight Windows 10 modification. tiny11 23H2 followed suit shortly. Although there is no shame in using Windows 10, most users will upgrade to Windows 11, or whatever comes after it, sooner or later.

What if you want to try tiny11 but do not want to perform a clean install? The good news is that you can upgrade from tiny10 to tiny11 without losing your apps, settings, and files, even if your PC's hardware is not eligible to run Windows 11 officially. Here is how.

@NTDEV_ published a short YouTube video detailing the upgrade process. Although it is slightly more technical and complicated than how you upgrade "vanilla" Windows 10, it is no rocket science and does not require too much skills or knowledge. After all, you should be ready to perform some tinkering when using modified Windows images. If that is not for you, go for a clean install or unmodified Windows 11.

The most unconventional part of the upgrade is changing a few registry values to resolve an SKU conflict. tiny10 is based on Windows 10 LTSC, while tiny11 is Windows 11 Pro. Note, however, that modifying SKU-related registry values will result in Windows 11 asking you to activate it with a matching SKU key. tiny10 and tiny11 are not activated, meaning you need to source your activation keys elsewhere. As a reminder, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 keys can still activate a corresponding Windows 11 edition (Pro - Pro and Home - Home).

As a reminder, you must always consider potential risks and privacy issues when modifying Windows images or using prebuilt configurations. Also, back up important data and files before proceeding. If you do not trust third-party enthusiasts and their creations, stick to the original Windows 10 and 11 images, but also be ready to debloat them manually or deal with their stock configurations.

Source

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Guys, how popular is tiny11 really, and can i trust it? It seems there's been an update. Can I install it on my work laptop? I unpacked the image and checked it with Norton, Eset, Emsisoft, Panda, Rising, Microsoft (msert) and found nothing bad 😁

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Guys, how popular is tiny11 really, and can i trust it? It seems there's been an update. Can I install it on my work laptop? I unpacked the image and checked it with Norton, Eset, Emsisoft, Panda, Rising, Microsoft (msert) and found nothing bad 😁
Why would you want to? From the link in Post #2 above:
4. At it's core, tiny11 is designed to bring new life to old computers, so I don't encourage installing it on PCs that support Windows 11 by default. This doesn't mean that I don't trust my product, but at one point the disadvantages outweigh the benefits.

5. This shouldn't be considered a "Windows without telemetry/spyware" image, but one that was designed to run on PCs that don't support the standard versions of Windows 11, in the same line that tiny10 did with Windows 10.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

Please tell us the laptop specs

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 97327

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
@NTDEV_, the creator of modified and stripped-off Windows images, has released the latest addition to its tiny10 and tiny11 family. The tiny11 core project "brings everything you love about Windows" in an even smaller package. If the "regular" tiny11 was too large or demanding for you, tiny11 core is here with its ISO weighing only 2GB and the entire installation requiring a tad more than 3GB.

Of course, one cannot make Windows 11 17GB lighter without notable sacrifices. According to the developer, the project required significant changes in Windows Component Store, Windows Defender, Microsoft Edge, Windows Update, and more. As a result, the OS has no built-in antivirus or browser, plus it cannot install updates (an attempt to open Windows Update will result in the Settings app crashing). Besides, there are no network drivers, so prepare one in advance (the recently introduced network driver install button during the OOBE would be handy).

Despite its slim size, tiny11 core still lets you install applications from the Microsoft Store or other sources, giving you a more or less properly working operating system. Here is a quick demo:

Sounds fishy? It is. Tiny11 core is not intended to replace the previous tiny11 releases, not to mention a "vanilla" installation. Instead, it aims to give you a "quick-and-dirty environment for testing" apps or drivers inside a virtual machine without downloading larger images and wasting dozens of gigabytes of disk space. Therefore, we strongly recommend not using it on a mission-critical computer.

If you think you can find a good use for a 2GB ISO based on Windows 11 Professional version 23H2 (build 22631.2361), download tiny11 core beta 1 from the Internet Archive and share your thoughts with the developer. As a reminder, modified Windows 11 images still require activation using a genuine Windows 10 or 11 key. Sadly, old Windows 7 and 8.1 keys no longer work.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Windows 11 version 23H2-based tiny11 is finally available for download. This Windows 11 mod offers a lightweight image stripped of unnecessary components and steep hardware requirements, resulting in an installation taking about 8GB of disk space.

Since tiny11 2311 is based on the latest Windows 11 release, version 23H2, it contains all the new features Microsoft introduced, including Copilot (this requires downloading Microsoft Edge via winget since there are no preinstalled browsers), native RAR support, the redesigned volume slider, RGB controls in the Settings app, and more.

Compared to the previous tiny11 release, version 2311 is 20% smaller, allowing you to reclaim even more storage on your system drive. In addition, it is fully serviceable, which means you can download and install cumulative updates to keep your computer safe and receive future improvements. If you want an even smaller image, check out tiny11 core—it only requires 3GB of disk space.

It is also worth noting that making a Windows image more than two times smaller than the original requires removing a log of components, including Xbox-related features. However, according to the developers, downloading an Xbox title from the Microsoft Store should restore removed gaming features. You can also add .NET 3.5 and additional languages if necessary.

You can download tiny11 2311 using this link (direct link to Internet Archive shared by the developer on their X account), but you must sign up with an Internet Archive beforehand.

Important: tiny11 2311 is not activated. Like the standard Windows 11 image, it requires a genuine Windows 11 or 10 key. As a reminder, Microsoft recently retired old Windows 7 and 8/8.1 keys, and you can no longer use them to activate modern Windows versions. That might be why some Windows 10 and 11 users are experiencing issues with their system activations.

Do not download tiny11 2311 if you do not trust the developer. Using modified Windows images always involves risks, so beware.

Source

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018

I tried this, it is a great option however when I looked to see what windows edition was on my machine it said it was Windows 11 Enterprise

TPM and Secure Boot were always unnecessary! People still run Windows 10 without those requirements.

Gengis Khan

Level 1
Nov 7, 2019
Good afternoon, I would like to know how to get around the problem that this version of the Windows 11 23h2 update presents me with tiny11 on my notebook already running the Windows 11 22h2 version.
It gives the error that your notebook does not meet the necessary conditions to carry out this update.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Good afternoon, I would like to know how to get around the problem that this version of the Windows 11 23h2 update presents me with tiny11 on my notebook already running the Windows 11 22h2 version.
It gives the error that your notebook does not meet the necessary conditions to carry out this update.
You just have to download and install the following update and then reboot to upgrade to 23H2.
KB5027397 Enablement Package for Windows 11 version 23H2 Feature Update.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.