Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
AdwCleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge: N/A.
Internet Explorer: Norton IdentitySafe.
Vivaldi: uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Norton Toolbar, Norton IdentitySafe and Norton Default Search Engine.
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Windows Disk Clean-up, Norton Security, Revo Uninstaller (MT Giveaway), Internet Download Manager (MT Giveaway).
File and Photo backup
OneDrive and File History
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper Standard
A

Alkajak

Thread author
Config is definitely getting better and better on this one. A few unneeded programs here and there, but still good. SAS and Avast Browser Clean-up seem redundant with the amount of on-demand scanners you have and CCleaner.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have decided that free versions of Anti-Viruses are not enough IMO

What made you come to that conclusion? In what aspects does avast! fall short? Let's not forget AVIRA, AVG and 360.

Last free you used was WD, it is still the basic but good enough. Just because a solution does not have all bells and whistles, does not mean free is bad.

One recommendation: instead of buying a product, give a full 30 day trial and see how it goes.
Also, within one day you added 2 softwares and removed it within 24 hours. Perhaps is best to test in VM first as previously mentioned.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
What made you come to that conclusion? In what aspects does avast! fall short? Let's not forget AVIRA, AVG and 360.

Last free you used was WD, it is still the basic but good enough. Just because a solution does not have all bells and whistles, does not mean free is bad.

One recommendation: instead of buying a product, give a full 30 day trial and see how it goes.
Also, within one day you added 2 softwares and removed it within 24 hours. Perhaps is best to test in VM first as previously mentioned.
I came to that conclusion because of many reasons, first of all look at Malware Removal Assistance the majority of people have free AVs like Avast!, MSE, Avira, AVG and others they still get infected, Norton gives you a 100% Virus Free Guarantee and has amazing SONAR and heuristics detection. You pay for what you get I am not saying free AVs are bad, just IMO not enough for today's malware.

Reactions: frogboy
M

Mihir :-)

Thread author
I came to that conclusion because of many reasons, first of all look at Malware Removal Assistance the majority of people have free AVs like Avast!, MSE, Avira, AVG and others they still get infected, Norton gives you a 100% Virus Free Guarantee and has amazing SONAR and heuristics detection. You pay for what you get I am not saying free AVs are bad, just IMO not enough for today's malware.
You bit wrong.Avast! is great.Avira's signatures is even with Kaspersky.AVG is worse to try because of their privacy policy.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I believe you are missing one key factor: not everyone is computer savy and have near perfect browsing habits.

same person who would get infected with avast or any free security running, also gets infected with paid security such as BitDefender, Mcafee and the list goes on.

please do not judge a book by its cover.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Is Norton security has offline protection?
Yes, it uses signatures, cloud and SONAR there are updates around every 15 minutes so that's a good sign that they want us to be protected against Zero-Day and Zero-Hour malware. SONAR is like advanced heuristics, I am absolutely loving it now - it's even slightly lighter than WD when idle :)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Update: 19/02/2016:

Added: Norton Security
You will like it. Its light & excellent protection. Its reputation tech can give "Unproven" popups for new programs/new versions of the programs but you are not an average user so no probs for you. Its Sonar, download/file insight, etc... are pretty good. Overall Norton Security provides excellent protection.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
McAfee was pre-installed on my PC like all of the other rubbish that Acer's have these days.

Reactions: CySecy825
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Must aware that Norton Security products contain likely passive signatures where they rely more on Cloud and Sonar Behavior considering that to reduce the possible false positive rates.
I find Norton signatures for offline protection fairly good. And online protection is excellent with its layered approach.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Is there a point of using Norton ConnectSafe when I have Norton Security installed?

Reactions: CySecy825
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.