Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
AdwCleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge: N/A.
Internet Explorer: Norton IdentitySafe.
Vivaldi: uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Norton Toolbar, Norton IdentitySafe and Norton Default Search Engine.
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Windows Disk Clean-up, Norton Security, Revo Uninstaller (MT Giveaway), Internet Download Manager (MT Giveaway).
File and Photo backup
OneDrive and File History
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper Standard
A

Alkajak

Thread author
I only have a gaming machine, so I'm recommending this by experience. You cannot go wrong with SecureAnywhere AV for Gamers. I'm still licensed and it is so light and a really good extra layer of protection, even with Windows Defender. I was using it with Windows Defender and Zemana AM until yesterday when I purchased ESET SS9, now being used with Zemana AM. You can afford to lose MBAM on your gaming PC if you're noticing any resources being unnecessarily used by it.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Update 20/02/2016:

Added: Norton ConnectSafe (Norton Secure DNS)
You are using Norton Security. If you are using Norton Toolbar that comes with Norton Security then you dont need Norton DNS.
Or you are running Norton DNS on router for other systems too?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
@yesnoo Using a different DNS is a good idea because it can't be hijacked, it's faster and more secure (extra peace of mind).
Ok.
I am running Google DNS. As per DnsJumper Google DNS provides similar or better speed than my ISP. My ISP is good too but currently trying Google DNS & Iike it.
As per DnsJumper, results for my ISP & Google DNS are good i.e checked many times & mostly under 5-10 millisecs for both primary/alternate DNS. Norton & others results, mostly primary DNS under 50 millisecs & alternate DNS above 100 millisecs.
So Google DNS for me & its working good here.

So give a try & check with DnsJumper, the test is quick & doesn't needs long time & the program is portable too & makes the task of changing DNS simple & very easy.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Removed Norton ConnectSafe it's so unreliable.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Removed Norton ConnectSafe it's so unreliable.

Norton DNS (ConnectSafe) is by no means unreliable. What exactly made you come to such conclusion? You might want to try it for longer than 24 hours before coming to conclusions. Just saying it is unreliable will just confuse people who visit your config to learn more.
If you are referring to speed, perhaps best to first see where the servers are located.
If you are referring to the censorship/blocking, then I am sorry to say but none is perfect.

Of the reliable DNS services, depending what you want for, your choices are Norton, OpenDNS, GPF (German Privacy Foundation). SPF (Swiss Privacy Foundation), CCC (Chaos Computer Club), OpenNic. None of them are unreliable.

Comodo left out as it is overshadowed by any of the above originals.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
@Inkurax When I use it, sometimes for around five minutes pages wont load and when I change back my DNS it works fine.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
If i recall correctly, you cant just uninstall the launcher on its own. Not sure, perhaps some Avira users can shed some light.

Yep! You can uninstall it, or better yet... do custom offline install and opt out of the launcher.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
@Huracan One year license and I have to say (lets hope I don't speak to soon) it is the best security program I have ever used! :D Well worth the money.

I wish MCShield didn't slow down start-up that much, the only thing putting me off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@Tornado I hope you disabled the default windows 10 and also in windows 8.1 for the shutdown process of windows correct? otherwise you will have trouble in applying updates to Norton. Check their forum for more information about it.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@Inkurax What do you mean?
@Tornado recommended to do some research for the product you use before using, i.e reviewing forums for known issues, work around etc.

Ever since the introduction of the new line up from Symantec (Norton Security), users have to disable the default option of Windows 8/8.1/10 shutdown process, known as Hybrid Shutdown.

If you do not do that, Norton will not be updated correctly when patches are rolled out etc. Check their forums since the release of NS and you will understand. There was a whole lot of issues about this.

To manually disabled Hybrid Shutdown feature, do the following:

Go to Search, type power options and click on Power Options from search results
On the left side of the window click on Choose what the power button does
If needed, click on Change settings that are currently unavailable, under Define power buttons and turn on password protection
From the enabled options under Shutdown settings section, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) checkbox to disable Hybrid Shutdown.
Click Save changes button to save the modified settings.
Close Power Options window when done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.