Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Error code 80002 on advanced settings tab. ---> can't change settings ---> losing connection to the router everytime the error code occurs
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Router reset, router restart, freshly configured the router on multiple different devices (via. WiFi, Thether app and LAN),
Changed the routers IP
Hey guys,

today my new modem router from TP-Link arrived. It's the Archer Vr 2100v and the setup went pretty smoothly. Now after I thought every basic settings are configured, I tried to access the advanced settings of the TP-Link dashboard. But everytime I access the advanced settings page in my browser, I get the error code 80002 (Unknown Error). After that I always lose connection to my router and I cant access it again until I restart my router. Still, even after restart the same problem occurs over and over again and that is pretty annoying as for example the DNS-settings, FIrewall-settings or Firmware-update-settings are in the advanced settings tab of my router.

Does anybody else use a TP-Link router and faced similar problems?

PS: I already tried to reset my router twice and configured it again on different devices (LAN and WiFi). Still the same issues...

Thank you guys in advance!

Screenshot 2021-11-20 170644.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
That sucks 😞
Have a TP-Link router but have never seen that error.
What I could find was changing the routers IP... but that didn't help.
Connecting to the router with a network cable gives the same problem?
The links I found with our friend Google:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Issue might be with your ISP. Have your tried accessing the page without setting your ISP?

this is happening with a particular ISP named 'Excitel' only. For rest of the ISP it is working fine. More than 1000 TP link customers are affected. Recently ISP updated their system, after that update TP link is not compatible with this ISP. You need to release new firmware for this router to make it compatible with all ISP. Local service center had been informed but not very positive about help

Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
That sucks 😞
Have a TP-Link router but have never seen that error.
What I could find was changing the routers IP... but that didn't help.
Connecting to the router with a network cable gives the same problem?
The links I found with our friend Google:
Already saw those articles. Sadly they are few and most of them not really helpful... Thanks anyway :)

Issue might be with your ISP. Have your tried accessing the page without setting your ISP?

Well, it said it was compatible with my ISP so I didn't think of that, but I will try it later. Thank you! :)

Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Checked again, it should be definitely compatible, considering the fact that I used a TP-Link before and didn't face any problems... I wonder if it's an hardware issue, but if it was then I also wouldnt be able to access the basic settings, right?

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I don't know... it is still possible, maybe you could try to get support on their chat here:
  • May be overheating and overloaded Power supply
  • Your Network connection is too weak
  • Your Wi-Fi extender unable to extend far enough
  • Due to using of outdated Firmware
  • Your driver is not updated
  • Got Various Wireless interference
  • Your Wireless connection not connected properly
  • May be your wireless Username and password Wrong
Schermafbeelding 2021-11-20 193214.jpg
EDIT: you tried a direct connection with a network cable between your computer and the Archer Vr 2100v?
Wifi-issues ruled out.
Did you try another browser without an adblocker and similar extensions?
If both fail it can be a hardware or a firmware issue 🤔

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
No, PowerLAN is still susceptible to interference, ideally you should try with a (long) network cable between your computer and your new router.
Alright, I really hope this might be the cause, but I doubt it as it always disconnects at the same point. Right when i switch to advanced settings. I could stay 30 mins on the basic settings page without any interference, but just when accessing the advanced settings I get an error. 😞

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Alright, I really hope this might be the cause, but I doubt it as it always disconnects at the same point. Right when i switch to advanced settings. I could stay 30 mins on the basic settings page without any interference, but just when accessing the advanced settings I get an error. 😞
You could try with another browser without any adblocking and see if you can get into the advanced settings.

Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
You could try with another browser without any adblocking and see if you can get into the advanced settings.
Tried that on multiple devices. iOS and 2 different Windows systems. Didn't work. I tried connecting the laptop with LAN to the router as you told me like 5 minutes ago but still didn't get it fixed. I think I will just return the router again and get a new one. The thing is that my old router isn't receiving updates anymore and I don't really feel safe with the heart of my network being unpatched.

Could you and maybe others recommend good DSL-Modem-Routers? I always liked TP-Link but I don't wanna risk buying the same one just to face the same problems again 😄

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Tried that on multiple devices. iOS and 2 different Windows systems. Didn't work. I tried connecting the laptop with LAN to the router as you told me like 5 minutes ago but still didn't get it fixed. I think I will just return the router again and get a new one. The thing is that my old router isn't receiving updates anymore and I don't really feel safe with the heart of my network being unpatched.

Could you and maybe others recommend good DSL-Modem-Routers? I always liked TP-Link but I don't wanna risk buying the same one just to face the same problems again 😄
Have only personal experience with TP-Link, but when we can get our own modem on a Ziggo cable connection in The Netherlands (hopefully that will be allowed next year) I'm thinking about a FRITZ!Box 6660 Cable.
Maybe a FRITZ!Box 7590 AX could be an option for you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Have only personal experience with TP-Link, but when we can get our own modem on a Ziggo cable connection in The Netherlands (hopefully that will be allowed next year) I'm thinking about a FRITZ!Box 6660 Cable.
Maybe a FRITZ!Box 7590 AX could be an option for you?
I really hate the look of the Fritz boxes but I guess there aint many alternatives... The price is quite hight but I will see. Thanks! (y)

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
So even when you factory reset your router and have it unplugged from your ISP, you cannot access your advanced settings page
to update the firmware? This maybe a hardware issue then. Do try the Tp-Link Support page like @Gandalf_The_Grey recommended.

There is a procedure used to unbrick TP-Link routers.
You can use this procedure to update your routers firmware.
I have used this method before and it does work but may have a slight risk if it fails.

If you do decide to try this method. Make sure if your router model is (EU)V1 you using the same firmware not US(V1) etc.

Edit
I see your router can support 3G/4G dongles. Do you have one to test?

Archer VR2100(EU)_V1_210722
6. Newly supported Huaiwei E3372h-153/320 Dongle;

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
So even when you factory reset your router and have it unplugged from your ISP, you cannot access your advanced settings page
to update the firmware? This maybe a hardware issue then. Do try the Tp-Link Support page like @Gandalf_The_Grey recommended.

There is a procedure used to unbrick TP-Link routers.
You can use this procedure to update your routers firmware.
I have used this method before and it does work but may have a slight risk if it fails.

If you do decide to try this method. Make sure if your router model is (EU)V1 you using the same firmware not US(V1) etc.
Router has the latest firmware, so this can't be the cause either. I now connected my old router from TP-Link again and configured it with the same settings as the new one. Everything is working smoothly here without any errors. TP-Link support told me to disable the firewall and my antivirus as if that is the solution for all problems 😄 It doesn't even make sense as the issue occures on every platform, even on iOS without any AV or Firewall...

Edit
I see your router can support 3G/4G dongles. Do you have one to test?

Archer VR2100(EU)_V1_210722
Sadly no...

Reactions: Nevi and The_King
Upvote 0

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
Hey guys,

today my new modem router from TP-Link arrived. It's the Archer Vr 2100v and the setup went pretty smoothly. Now after I thought every basic settings are configured, I tried to access the advanced settings of the TP-Link dashboard. But everytime I access the advanced settings page in my browser, I get the error code 80002 (Unknown Error). After that I always lose connection to my router and I cant access it again until I restart my router. Still, even after restart the same problem occurs over and over again and that is pretty annoying as for example the DNS-settings, FIrewall-settings or Firmware-update-settings are in the advanced settings tab of my router.

Does anybody else use a TP-Link router and faced similar problems?

PS: I already tried to reset my router twice and configured it again on different devices (LAN and WiFi). Still the same issues...

Thank you guys in advance!

View attachment 262098
I currently have 3 routers on my network - a TP-Link AX as an access point, Zyxel, and a Netgear AX. The Archer drops connection 3 or 4 times daily. Their tech support said to upgrade the bios, but that didn't help. I don't like them too much anymore. :(

Reactions: Nevi
Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I currently have 3 routers on my network - a TP-Link AX as an access point, Zyxel, and a Netgear AX. The Archer drops connection 3 or 4 times daily. Their tech support said to upgrade the bios, but that didn't help. I don't like them too much anymore. :(
Have you checked that you don't have overlapping interference from the other routers wifi channels causing these drops on the TP-Link?

Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
did you try to remove the network cable then? i mean maybe its network cable issue :unsure:
Not sure if that was addressed to me, but there is no chance that the network cable is broken, as my other router works totally fine with this one...

Upvote 0

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
Have you checked that you don't have overlapping interference from the other routers wifi channels causing these drops on the TP-Link?
Yes. Two are access points. No overlapping. Both are connected by ethernet to the main router.

I have read that a lot of people with these Archer routers are having the same issue with no resolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and The_King
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.