Trying to not be paranoid. Help to Reducing security software alongside emsisoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
A cuestion about Emsi companion. Now i thinking in layered protection and symple config.

1.- Emsi like resident Antimalware and behavior blocker (Last layer)
2.- Heimdal to check network traffic (Medium Layer)
3.- Windows FW (Front layer)
Do you think is necesary a antiexe
Why in this forum you love vodoo shield over another antiexes?
REally vodoo shield adds something layer?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
A cuestion about Emsi companion. Now i thinking in layered protection and symple config.

1.- Emsi like resident Antimalware and behavior blocker (Last layer)
2.- Heimdal to check network traffic (Medium Layer)
3.- Windows FW (Front layer)
Do you think is necesary a antiexe
Why in this forum you love vodoo shield over another antiexes?
REally vodoo shield adds something layer?
VoodooShield is a "computer lock", meaning all uninitiated process launch are blocked. It can add a layer to your security because it will be your first (or second because of Heimdal) line of defense.

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Winantiransom & Appcheck - they may conflict with other softwares.

Last edited:

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Do you think why winantirasom cause conflicts as i understand it is like an antiexe

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I like VodooShield because I like read the development stages, and because I tested against malware and liked the output. I have also personal reason to sustain a developer that I like but that is personal opinion. ;)

Reactions: Weebarra

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I remember when secure a plus was relesed i simpatize whith developer i think is a good software. About Vodooshield is litle diferent than i use. Now do you think is really good measure using it?
In theory Emsi haves realtime protection and behavior shield and only let run good apps, vodoo block every file. I think in a hipotetic malware attack

1.- Bypass my fw
2.-Bypass Heimdal traffic
3.- Bypass Vodoo
4 .- Emsi was the last layer

But Vodoo and emsi Behavior blocker dont do the same? Voodoo in more agresive way?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Hi whith the offer hot deal of winantirasom i compulsive buy too many security products, but i think its only for a collector When ccleaner hack cames i install all my security software in my main machine
Winantirasom Emsisoft Appcheck, Shadow defender, Zemana antilogger, malwarebytes, etc.
I dont not notice any slow down I am playing streetfigther 4 and play well but then i play naruto storm 3 (same or similar hardware demand) and the game goes slow, then reestart and everything goes normal. I never see any of that programs have high usage of resources . Maybe they have redundant functions but i like to monitor my system before delete one see what are the most heavy ¿How i can? i see task manager and does not see high resources use on that programs how can i monitor all them and see what are more resource usage.
I think Emsisoft AM and Zemana are the only one realtime protection. The other ones only react when user or file does something suspicious. Am i wrong?
I dont seee winantirasom FP or slow down.
I read here appcheck not are too good.
Shadowdefender for me is necesary.
Zemana antilogger (i dont know)
malwarebytes maybe slow down while update.

Really i dont know what of this "add ons" slow my machine or maybe my machine is slow jeje

IMO you've installed a bunch of useless stuff for threats you'll never face and in the process are dramatically increasing your threat surface with all of those products, all of the telemetry and potential for product compromise itself.

You need to decide what you are trying to protect yourself from, then act accordingly. Are you worried about update channel compromises such as the ones I've seen with multiple products and the recent Ccleaner episode? Then none of what you have done will help you in those cases. Are you worried about downloading and installing malware? What you've done is probably 10 times more than is needed because you likely won't ever run into downloaded malware because you probably don't download from malware laced sites. So what you've done won't help you anyway.

IMO, throw away all of them and roll with Emsisoft and ShadowDefender. Leave Zemana around on-demand only if you wish and walk away. You are a gamer, you're going to cause yourself gaming grief by going too heavy and too paranoid.

If Ccleaner type things are your worry, then you should focus on reducing your threat surface, uninstalling un-needed applications/products/services, slowing your upgrade cycles and possibly looking to install an APT/Sandbox application (virtual or otherwise) on your gateway - remember it was APT appliances that found the Ccleaner thing to begin with... But the reality is, if you don't have the knowledge or experience for all of that, then you are playing security theater with all of the 'toys' that won't amount to a hill of beans.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Add to HMPA exclusions those EAM's processes : a2service.exe, a2guard.exe, a2start.exe

On EAM, you shouldn't have to do anything, but to eliminate all risks, add to EAM's Application Rules : hmpalert.exe
Thanks @Umbra :)
I did EAM exclusions on HMPA but I cannot find "Applications rules" on EAM...
EAMexclusions.PNG

Can you help me ?
An other question about HMPA, I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bits but HMPA is a 32 bits process !?
HMPA32bits.PNG

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.