New Update uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
My update (using uBlockOrigin again because of new Top3000 filter :) )

Filterlists (only 1 filter list)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kees1958/W3C_annual_most_used_survey_blocklist/master/Top3000

My Filter
! Block (obselete flash) plugins and (hyperling auditing & sending beacons) pings
||*$object,ping

! Block insecure third-party content except stylesheet, image and media
||HTTP://*$3p,~stylesheet,~image,~media

My rules
no-cosmetic-filtering: * true
* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block
* com * noop
* io * noop
* net * noop
* nl * noop
* org * noop
* uk * noop

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
My update (using uBlockOrigin again because of new Top3000 filter :) )

Filterlists (only 1 filter list)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kees1958/W3C_annual_most_used_survey_blocklist/master/Top3000

My Filter
! Block (obselete flash) plugins and (hyperling auditing & sending beacons) pings
||*$object,ping

My rules
no-cosmetic-filtering: * true
* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block
* com * noop
* io * noop
* net * noop
* nl * noop
* org * noop
* uk * noop

I'll give your configuration a fresh go though to paranoid to use just one list lol

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Sorry English is not my first language, I do not understand the phrase "a fresh go though to paranoid" 😳

Sorry. For clarification:

I've been using your other versions of Ublock Origin tweaks in the past. I've changed mine now to your "My Filters" and "My Rules". I am paranoid about just using one subscription list so I've just added the Top3000 list and also using the default lists.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
He's just saying that he's curious but afraid to try your config. Your config indeed looks interesting. Do you use another layer of filtering? How do you deal with 1st party stuff?
Thanks for your explanation (y)

No other layer of filtering when I did the quicktest of Top300 versus uBO default (Update - Adblocking innovation).

Normally I use NextDNS on default (not using their installer, just adding the IP4 and IP6 servers mentioned on their website NextDNS) in my WIFI adapter properties in Windows10. An MT-member (forgot who) advised me to use NextDns to deal with first-party trackers. (NextDNS prevents first-party trackers using "dns delegation", "dns aliasing" and "cname cloaking").

Last edited:

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Thanks for your explanation (y)

No other layer of filtering when I did the quicktest of Top300 versus uBO default (Update - Adblocking innovation).

Normally I use NextDNS on default (not using their installer, just adding the IP4 and IP6 servers mentioned on their website NextDNS) in my WIFI adapter properties in Windows10. An MT-member (forgot who) advised me to use NextDns to deal with first-party trackers. (NextDNS prevents first-party trackers using "dns delegation", "dns aliasing" and "cname cloaking").
Ah, I see. I also use NextDNS but strictly only activate its Security features.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Wishing my ISP allowed DNS changes but Sky UK doesn't allow it. There's no option anywhere in router and it ignores it when you just set it on a machine locally unless you do DOH (DNS over HTTP). Will just let Edge Chromium deal with what trackers it can.

Anyway, I do like the idea of blocking the obsolete pings (||*$object,ping ) and I'm still using the much abused generic TLDs and country codes below. So my static filters are now:

||*$object,ping
!
! Block all on much abused generic TLD's. The TLD is between ||* and ^$, e.g. ||*.BID^$
!
||*.bid^$all
||*.buzz^$all
||*.club^$all
||*.country^$all
||*.date^$all
||*.download^$all
||*.gdn^$all
||*.host^$all
||*.icu^$all
||*.jetz^$all
||*.kim^$all
||*.loan^$all
||*.men^$all
||*.mobi^$all
||*.mom^$all
||*.party^$all
||*.pics^$all
||*.racing^$all
||*.ren^$all
||*.rest^$all
||*.review^$all
||*.ryukyu^$all
||*.science^$all
||*.sex^$all
||*.shop^$all
||*.site^$all
||*.stream^$all
||*.top^$all
||*.trade^$all
||*.vip^$all
||*.wang^$all
||*.win^$all
||*.work^$all
||*.xin^$all
||*.xxx^$all
||*.xyz^$all
@@||email.ionos.co.uk*^$all,domain=ionos.co.uk
!
! Block all on much abused country code TLD's. The TLD is between ||* and ^$, e.g. ||*.AM^$
!
||*.am^$all
||*.cc^$all
||*.cf^$all
||*.cn^$all
||*.fm^$all
||*.ga^$all
||*.gg^$all
||*.ki^$all
||*.kp^$all
||*.la^$all
||*.ml^$all
||*.pw^$all
||*.ru^$all
||*.tk^$all
||*.ua^$all
||*.ug^$all
||*.vn^$all
@@discord.gg^$all,domain=discord.com

Last edited:

floalma

Level 4
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Who can explain the differences if it exists between "HTTP://*^$third-party,~image,~stylesheet,~media" and "||HTTP://*$3p,~stylesheet,~image,~media" ?

Reactions: Protomartyr

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Another tip (I checked my saved settings after realizing I had forgotten to add much abused TLD blocks thanks @ErzCrz ) google what payment services operate in your country and add an exception
@@||domainnameofpaymentservice.com

@floalma
Sloppy typing, apologize for that, It is better to allways add || for an network (static) rule, because it is tokenized (indexed) in a way it is faster to process by the rule engine of an adblocker

Gorhill added some abbreviations to write/read adblock plus more easier, eg
3p = third-party
xhr = xmlhttprequest
frame=subdocument

So best practices would be
||http:/*$third-party,~stylesheet,~image,~media

This way you can copy your rules to Adguard or AdblockPlus when you would decide to change adblock extension.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
a Tweet from Raymond Hill, creator of uBlock Origin

Another reason maybe to change your search engine from Google to....something else.

Some search engines inject their own ads as well. Some like DDG have an option to disable this. Many users are too lazy to read and understand how these things work.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
a Tweet from Raymond Hill, creator of uBlock Origin

Another reason maybe to change your search engine from Google to....something else.

No, it's another extension that injected those ads and the reason that uBlock Origin couldn't remove them.
Sometimes someone will report ads not being blocked by uBO in some search engine page. It is often found that another extension is injecting those ads.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Right! :)

Do you (anyone) think Google Search facilitates or enables this to happen?
I think it has little to nothing to do with Google Search itself. Google Search is just happen to be the most used search engine so it's just a natural target for abuse. It's more about Chrome Web Store which has been continuously being abused by scummy extension developers. It's pretty ridiculous that Google keep allowing it to happen and has only done so little about it.
Case and point. I don't know if this is also happening to everyone else but currently when I search with keyword "ublock origin" on CWS this is the result.
1596025306189.png

I also got the exact same result with Google Chrome on another device.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.