New Update uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Learn to use the logger and you can pinpoint the source of the issue. It takes some time but is well worth it.
Thanks---ideally, one should use this, right? However, It's faster and more intuitive for me to head straight to "my rules" first and look at the code. If need be, I'll just uncheck that module and go from there.

The line rain2reign posted was in fact the culprit but how it got there in the first place is a mystery. I must have zapped something on a YouTube page but what? Scanning the logger would take too long (for me). Hopefully, it won't happen again but my point was: if you see something like that (missing YouTube comments, etc), check "my rules" first--if you use the Element Picker.

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Hi, what do you see as redundant or wrong with my ublock list? Could you help me with this, as I don't understand the ublock parameters. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• my-ublock-backup_2021-10-03_07.48.50.txt
    124.1 KB · Views: 330

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
I have the opposite issue. NextDNS is practically blocking all ads. All I need uBO for is cosmetic filtering. I am looking hard to find lists that are very heavy on cosmetic filtering and light on adblocking because it's redundant. If you guys know lists that are composed of cosmetic filters please share.

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I have the opposite issue. NextDNS is practically blocking all ads. All I need uBO for is cosmetic filtering. I am looking hard to find lists that are very heavy on cosmetic filtering and light on adblocking because it's redundant. If you guys know lists that are composed of cosmetic filters please share.
I had a similar interest once, but only came across two lists that came closest to the idea and one was for Finnish websurfers, and the other was this one webannoyances/filters at master · yourduskquibbles/webannoyances.

The latter however has various lists for different purposes, but as far as I know there was never a big demand for it. I don't have enough time to parse through every list and only copy the cosmetics, so I stopped looking into it. If only uBlock had a setting to only take cosmetic filters of a list rather than the whole, but that is a complete undertaking I think no one wants to mess with, understandably.

I maintain my own incredibly short filterlist for cosmetics based on my own browsing behaviour. Whatever isn't picked up by AG base (built-in w/o easylist), Easylist, AG annoyances, plus all built-in uBlock filters get put into that list. Though it's only like 60 rules long. :p

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
I had a similar interest once, but only came across two lists that came closest to the idea and one was for Finnish websurfers, and the other was this one webannoyances/filters at master · yourduskquibbles/webannoyances.

The latter however has various lists for different purposes, but as far as I know there was never a big demand for it. I don't have enough time to parse through every list and only copy the cosmetics, so I stopped looking into it. If only uBlock had a setting to only take cosmetic filters of a list rather than the whole, but that is a complete undertaking I think no one wants to mess with, understandably.

I maintain my own incredibly short filterlist for cosmetics based on my own browsing behaviour. Whatever isn't picked up by AG base (built-in w/o easylist), Easylist, AG annoyances, plus all built-in uBlock filters get put into that list. Though it's only like 60 rules long. :p
Thank you! Indeed all the in-house "uBlock" filters are mostly cosmetic filters and like you said, the entire Annoyances section in uBO is boosting my cosmetic filters significantly.

Reactions: Nevi

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I just have a simple question:
I did remove AdGuard for Windows to reevaluate. Now use UBO in Edge Canary in its default settings.
Should I enable these settings highlighted with yellow?
1634951504648.png

Reactions: Nevi

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Should I enable these settings highlighted with yellow?
Adguard URL Tracking list - yes.
Adguard Base, Mobile and Tracking Protection - No. You'd be duplicating unnecessarily.
Annoyances - only if you encounter any not covered by µBO default annoyances list.
Social media - should be covered by default lists.

You might want to add Actually Legitimate Shortener Tool list which is very small and complements Adguard URL Tracking List.

As a general rule, you may need additional country-specific lists based on your location and depending on your browsing habits, e.g. Dutch Easy List if you're Dutch. I'm in the U.S. so default built-in lists work well for me. YMMV. Use the extension for a while to decide if it suits your needs or other country-specific list(s) are needed..

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Adguard Base, Tracking Protection - No. You'd be duplicating unnecessarily.
I have tested my own list against Easylist and Easylist plus Adguard with 25 websites including CNN, Fox News and ESPN and EL+AG blocked more than EL alone. Also uBO (like most leading adblockers as ABP, Brave and AG), break down rules in tokens and groups them in baskets for fast processing and reduction of overlap.

I decided to use EU_US most used ad & tracking networks (of course that choice is heavily biassed :) ), AdGuard URLparam filter and Adguard's Base + Easylist optimized , simply because AG+EL blocks more than EL for my surfing behaviour. IMO the best set of filterlists does not exists, it depends on your surfing behaviour and the websites you often frequent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Especially if like @amirr you are thinking of running EasyList and AdGuard Base think of using like @Kees1958 said Adguard's Base + Easylist optimized .
It used almost half the rules of the two together and is IMO the best combination of the two.
For example, on Notebookcheck I had some issues with a scrambled layout when using EasyList alone the optimized combination list of AdGuard and EasyList solves that.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
The question is what you want to re-evaluate. If it's only a matter to find out which filterlists will suit you best, it's not necessary to switch to uBlock. You could consider first to try out if the browser built-in ad- and trackerfiltering is enough for you.
AdGuard for Windows was complicated. I had some features turned off by myself. UBO gets the job done without extra code.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Gorhill's recent take on Manifest V3 probably should have been posted in this thread, for users who may have missed it.
Problems for all adblockers:
1. Static filterlist updates are only possible when extension is updated. This is not a problem for people who only use disconnect, Peter Low or my Kees1958 most used list, since those list typically focus on the networks behind the ads instead of the ads on the websites. Those ad and tracking networks are not as volatile as the ads shown on websites. But as @rain2reign further down this thread mentiones, those list don;t contain element hiding rules (that is why I am now also using AG optimized alongside my wn list).

Problem for all filter maintainers
2. Structure and logic of filters is very different, filters need to re-written (e.g. ABP rules need to be separated from regex rules)

Problems for uBlockOrigin
3. No noop rule option (this is a serious problem for ease of use and ability to use dynamic filtering as very granular/fine grained mechanism)
4. Some features unique to uBO are not facilitated (like denyallow, but this be realized in old fashioned way with two or more separate rules)

Problem for some large-list junkies
5. Number of rules are limited

Last edited by a moderator:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
@amirr, what (I think) @Azure is posting is that the developer of uBlockOrigin is telling that uBO's own filters and Adguard's filters are complementary to Easylist, so you can use them side-by-side. English is my secondary language so please correct me when I interpret it wrong.
So you mean to turn the AdGuard Base on?

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
So you mean to turn the AdGuard Base on?
To explain it differently. Normally AdGuard Base filter is AG filters+Easylist English filters. But in uBlock AdGuard provided an AG Base filter variant without Easylist English included in it. Making it just the AG specific filters according to their community feedback. Which basically means, that enabling it should (normally) not provide any duplicates as it was originally designed to be used together with Easylist English. Assuming, you may have used the AdGuard Base filter in AdGuard applications in the past.

Turn it on, if you wish to use it. I have it enabled simply for some of its cosmetic filters that are lacking in Easylist according to my personal browsing behaviour. I get an irritation with large empty spaces on websites that aren't picked up by annoyance filters. :p

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.