Browser Add-on uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

plat1098

Level 25
Verified
Sep 13, 2018
Learn to use the logger and you can pinpoint the source of the issue. It takes some time but is well worth it.
Thanks---ideally, one should use this, right? However, It's faster and more intuitive for me to head straight to "my rules" first and look at the code. If need be, I'll just uncheck that module and go from there.

The line rain2reign posted was in fact the culprit but how it got there in the first place is a mystery. I must have zapped something on a YouTube page but what? Scanning the logger would take too long (for me). Hopefully, it won't happen again but my point was: if you see something like that (missing YouTube comments, etc), check "my rules" first--if you use the Element Picker.

ESecurity

Level 17
Nov 15, 2017
Hi, what do you see as redundant or wrong with my ublock list? Could you help me with this, as I don't understand the ublock parameters. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• my-ublock-backup_2021-10-03_07.48.50.txt
    124.1 KB · Views: 35

SpiderWeb

Level 6
Aug 21, 2020
I have the opposite issue. NextDNS is practically blocking all ads. All I need uBO for is cosmetic filtering. I am looking hard to find lists that are very heavy on cosmetic filtering and light on adblocking because it's redundant. If you guys know lists that are composed of cosmetic filters please share.

Reactions: oldschool

rain2reign

Level 6
Jun 21, 2020
I have the opposite issue. NextDNS is practically blocking all ads. All I need uBO for is cosmetic filtering. I am looking hard to find lists that are very heavy on cosmetic filtering and light on adblocking because it's redundant. If you guys know lists that are composed of cosmetic filters please share.
I had a similar interest once, but only came across two lists that came closest to the idea and one was for Finnish websurfers, and the other was this one webannoyances/filters at master · yourduskquibbles/webannoyances.

The latter however has various lists for different purposes, but as far as I know there was never a big demand for it. I don't have enough time to parse through every list and only copy the cosmetics, so I stopped looking into it. If only uBlock had a setting to only take cosmetic filters of a list rather than the whole, but that is a complete undertaking I think no one wants to mess with, understandably.

I maintain my own incredibly short filterlist for cosmetics based on my own browsing behaviour. Whatever isn't picked up by AG base (built-in w/o easylist), Easylist, AG annoyances, plus all built-in uBlock filters get put into that list. Though it's only like 60 rules long. :p

SpiderWeb

Level 6
Aug 21, 2020
I had a similar interest once, but only came across two lists that came closest to the idea and one was for Finnish websurfers, and the other was this one webannoyances/filters at master · yourduskquibbles/webannoyances.

The latter however has various lists for different purposes, but as far as I know there was never a big demand for it. I don't have enough time to parse through every list and only copy the cosmetics, so I stopped looking into it. If only uBlock had a setting to only take cosmetic filters of a list rather than the whole, but that is a complete undertaking I think no one wants to mess with, understandably.

I maintain my own incredibly short filterlist for cosmetics based on my own browsing behaviour. Whatever isn't picked up by AG base (built-in w/o easylist), Easylist, AG annoyances, plus all built-in uBlock filters get put into that list. Though it's only like 60 rules long. :p
Thank you! Indeed all the in-house "uBlock" filters are mostly cosmetic filters and like you said, the entire Annoyances section in uBO is boosting my cosmetic filters significantly.