Advice Request UBO on Firefox no green allow?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
You guys know on UBO there are green, grey, and red options for site whether to be allow, noop, or block. Well, my UBO on my FF has no green option. Only grey and red options. I did reinstall FF and install UBO and no green option at all.

FF 78.0.2 64 bitt
uBlock Origin v1.28.2

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
From the release notes:
Dynamic filtering
You can skip this section if you didn't opt-in to "I am an advanced user" or you are otherwise not a user of dynamic filtering.

It's no longer possible to point-and-click to create allow (green) rules from within the popup panel by default. This change is motivated by seeing way too many cases of improper usage of dynamic filtering in which users are creating allow (green) rules where noop (gray) rules should have been used.

Creating allow rules has serious consequences as these override blocking static filters and can potentially disable other advanced filtering ability such as HTML filtering and scriptlet injection -- often used to deal with anti-blocker mechanisms; to the point where misusing allow rules can easily cause a user to be less protected than when using uBO with default settings/lists.

Here is a typical case of misuse out of countless I have seen in the wild, including many of them being presented as a reference solution while they actually made things worst. Very recently I even had to correct a technical blog post telling people to use allow rules to override block rules, with no mention of noop rules -- which are the default way to override block rules, while allow rules are to be used in rare, exceptional circumstances. For reference, after years using medium/hard mode, I still have zero allow rules in my permanent ruleset.

You can get back temporarily the ability to create allow rules from within the popup panel by tapping twice the Ctrl key. In some browser versions (i.e. Tor Browser), double-tapping the Ctrl key does not work, in such case you can recover the ability to create allow rules by changing the advanced setting filterAuthorMode to true.
From the man himself:
One can bring back permanently the allow rule widget by setting filterAuthorMode to true in advanced settings. The idea was to put a small obstacle to mindlessly create allow rules -- I only wish I had originally designed it this way.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.