New Update UCheck: Software Update Checker & Installer

Tigzy

From Adlice
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
1) Chromium version. I'm using Ungoogled Chromium (for Win 64-bit as in below link) and its version is 80.0.3987.149-2. It's reported correctly by UCheck but it shouldn't suggest an pending update available as it's not been released by Ungoogled Chromium yet. Likely it's applicable to Chromium browser users but forks of Chromium might not be applicable
Sounds like a false positive... How is it displayed in the "uninstall" list ? If it's called just "Chromium" that'll be hard to distinguish from the un-forked one...

Reactions: harlan4096

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
What are the advantages against SuMo ?

Pros:

1. Ucheck free version lets you install software updates directly. This is available only in pro version of SUMo.
2. Ucheck has better GUI at least in my opinion and also lets you uninstall software from it's GUI. Not sure if it detects leftovers for cleaning, if not then this feature doesn't make a big difference.

3. Most importantly, both the developers are responsive, however at least from what I've seen in this thread, Tigzy from UCheck is more open minded to suggestions and feedback without locking horns with competitor software's.

I feel that this thread is becoming more of a UCheck vs SUMo discussion than posting critical feedback to the UCheck developer (who is the OP). We need to hold the discussion only for UCheck and limit SUMo discussion in it's corresponding thread.

Cons:

Ucheck is getting better by the day and , however compared to SUMo it's software catalog is small (popular softwares) and doesn't detect portable versions of software's for update the last time I checked.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Just renewed SUMO with a lifetime licence great program that covers programs others can only dream of - I've used it for years & no I haven't been bribed :):):)

Tigzy

From Adlice
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
1. Ucheck free version lets you install software updates directly. This is available only in pro version of SUMo.
Well Install software is also a Premium-only feature in UCheck. So regarding this it's pretty consistent in the industry

Ucheck is getting better by the day and , however compared to SUMo it's software catalog is small (popular softwares) and doesn't detect portable versions of software's for update the last time I checked.
I'm unsure how many software SuMO handles, but UCheck is now compatible with 170+ , and still growing every week.
It does detect portable software, but it's still in BETA stage and only in a few locations

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Well Install software is also a Premium-only feature in UCheck. So regarding this it's pretty consistent in the industry

I'm unsure how many software SuMO handles, but UCheck is now compatible with 170+ , and still growing every week.
It does detect portable software, but it's still in BETA stage and only in a few locations
What are those locations?

Reactions: Protomartyr

Tigzy

From Adlice
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
What are those locations?
For now I think it's only in Downloads (under User account), and the others are per-software "known install locations", but we planned to make this configurable to add user-defined paths.
The problem with this lookup is that it takes time to search in many places, unlike the Uninstall registry keys. So it'll be a balance to find between speed and quantity.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
For now I think it's only in Downloads (under User account), and the others are per-software "known install locations", but we planned to make this configurable to add user-defined paths.
The problem with this lookup is that it takes time to search in many places, unlike the Uninstall registry keys. So it'll be a balance to find between speed and quantity.
Will that work with subfolders in downloads?
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-16 111901.png

Tigzy

From Adlice
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
Also we are working on a great new feature, which will prevent PUPs to install by unchecking optional offers.
Not only in software UCheck installs, but also in all installers ran manually. This feature still needs to be evaluated technically though, and it's very possible that the "protection" will be in RogueKiller rather (because it has a driver already)

Will that work with subfolders in downloads?
It should yes

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Also we are working on a great new feature, which will prevent PUPs to install by unchecking optional offers.
Not only in software UCheck installs, but also in all installers ran manually. This feature still needs to be evaluated technically though, and it's very possible that the "protection" will be in RogueKiller rather (because it has a driver already)

It should yes
Okay, thanks.
Will give it a try later today.

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013

Already discussed. SUMo and UCheck do not compete with each other. UCheck provides download of update which SUMo will likely never provide but SUMo detects 50K+ unique software reference while UCheck is unlikely to reach 4 digits ever.
I'm SUMo developper and find UCheck a good tool. Let's hope for reciprocity.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.