New Update UCheck: Software Update Checker & Installer

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
3. Most importantly, both the developers are responsive, however at least from what I've seen in this thread, Tigzy from UCheck is more open minded to suggestions and feedback without locking horns with competitor software's.
More open minded to suggestions ? Lol, just check it out here : Update - SUMo v5.x Changelog and check how feedback on SUMo is warmly welcome too :)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
More open minded to suggestions ? Lol, just check it out here : Update - SUMo v5.x Changelog and check how feedback on SUMo is warmly welcome too :)
While I gladly use SUMo because of it's large database, I found the author of UCheck to be dedicated to his program and threads, and not de-railing posts in competitors threads like this by promoting their own products. Along with this the only time that I've probably found SUMo in bad taste is when it started bundling adware/malware in the past. Since the portable version was not having this issue I kept using it.

SUMo detects 50K+ unique software reference while UCheck is unlikely to reach 4 digits ever.

While it's up-to the author to decide whether to support 1K software's or stick with popular software's that most users tend to install, depending on their business strategy, SUMo is more useful for people (the geeks) who browse and install various softwares on their system,, UCheck is suited to general surfers who doesn't install anything other than the popular stuff

Last edited:

Tigzy

From Adlice
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
At first glance this version 4.0 may not "look" like a major update, but it definitely is. We are usually doing 1 major update on engine, then 1 major update on UI. This time it's about the engine, totally refactored and rewritten for performance and stability. You know what's next :)

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
While I gladly use SUMo because of it's large database, I found the author of UCheck to be dedicated to his program and threads, and not de-railing posts in competitors threads like this by promoting their own products. Along with this the only time that I've probably found SUMo in bad taste is when it started bundling adware/malware in the past. Since the portable version was not having this issue I kept using it.

While it's up-to the author to decide whether to support 1K software's or stick with popular software's that most users tend to install, depending on their business strategy, SUMo is more useful for people (the geeks) who browse and install various softwares on their system,, UCheck is suited to general surfers who doesn't install anything other than the popular stuff

OK, thanks for your feedback and clarification.
FYI, SUMo "installer" is also Free of any 3rd party PUP

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Interesting program! Updater, installer, pup protector and uninstaller in one. That is just how anyone wants it, 1 program instead of 3.

Has anyone tested if the p-protection works well and if their uninstaller is any good when it comes to "FULL" uninstallation?

Tigzy

From Adlice
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
Has anyone tested if the p-protection works well and if their uninstaller is any good when it comes to "FULL" uninstallation?
Hey, The pup protection is working for sure for the programs compatible with UCheck, but it's also a generic protection so it may work with most installers.
The uninstaller is using the uninstall.exe from the program you want to uninstall, so it's at least as good as it.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hey, The pup protection is working for sure for the programs compatible with UCheck, but it's also a generic protection so it may work with most installers.
The uninstaller is using the uninstall.exe from the program you want to uninstall, so it's at least as good as it.

Ok, i see.

Why can it not update, any program?

No trial function?

Future plans?

Reactions: ZeePriest

Tigzy

From Adlice
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
I'm not sure to understand this question, can you rephrase ?

Yes there is, it's in Registration tab.

It's not public, for confidentiality. We will publish on blog once major features are about to be released.
Maybe i have a misunderstanding.

As i understand it, your "compatibility list" is about programs that it can update with ad-ware control over the process. So why not for all programs? There is a program called Unchecky, it can detect all ad-ware regardless of what program during installation. Now i am not a coder but to me it seems that it would be possible to have that function automatized implemented in your program and therefore control over ANY program.

Not even a little hint!?

Reactions: Nevi and ZeePriest

Tigzy

From Adlice
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
As i understand it, your "compatibility list" is about programs that it can update with ad-ware control over the process. So why not for all programs?
Well, as I said:
The pup protection is working for sure for the programs compatible with UCheck, but it's also a generic protection so it may work with most installers.
It's just that it was not tested with ALL installers out there.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Well, as I said:

It's just that it was not tested with ALL installers out there.

But my question was, why not, is it to much work to implement such a feature as Unchecky has? Why checking it manually and then call it, compatibility, when programs, manufacturers change. Todays ad-ware free program is tomorrows ad-ware companion.

Now you have set yourself up for a continous checking of everything over and over and.............. . And the day you do not do that and a ad-ware slips by, well, complains will start coming in. This seems to me to be an alternative way that demands, a lot, more work.

So, why?

Reactions: ZeePriest

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.