New Update Ungoogled Chromium

I

illumination

All right, I quit. You're just trying to twist my words around. I never said anything about online phone call.
Have a good day!
I will assume now, that english is not your native tongue. It is not an online phone call, but expecting privacy of a phone call, it was taken from this quote of yours...

Let me put it this way. If you're on the phone and a stranger come closer trying to listen to your conversation, would you be fine with that?

Before we derail this further off topic though, my point was stated and made, no word twisting necessary here.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
What if keyboards were able to convey emotions? Words by default are always pointing to an idea but can never truly convey any truth, let alone truths about feelings, which themselves are always faulty as reactions to conditions both internal & external. And from where/how do opinions develop? Are they able to be conveyed sufficiently by words, especially written words, to convey a feeling? Bless all of you & us! Some people feel better trying to gain/protect some aspect of privacy. Some people feel better doing all they can to achieve a feeling of security. e.g. There are "Paranoids" about privacy and security.. "Que sera sera!" Bless us all....for being so human.

I

illumination

What if keyboards were able to convey emotions? Words by default are always pointing to an idea but can never truly convey any truth, let alone truths about feelings, which themselves are always faulty as reactions to conditions both internal & external. And from where/how do opinions develop? Are they able to be conveyed sufficiently by words, especially written words, to convey a feeling? Bless all of you & us! Some people feel better trying to gain/protect some aspect of privacy. Some people feel better doing all they can to achieve a feeling of security. e.g. There are "Paranoids" about privacy and security.. "Que sera sera!" Bless us all....for being so human.
Absolutely... Words/text can be taken out of context quite easily, even if the intention is just to help users from developing a false sense of privacy/security.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Well, has been trying the version from here for the past few days with the same settings/extensions that were used in Chrome browser I can feel it's much smoother in operation

Downloads for ungoogled-chromium

Rerplaced Pure URL with URL Tracking Stripper & Redirect Skipper

I kinda love it for now man! Hope that updates for Ungoogled Chromium keep pace with Chrome browser

:love:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I am not really in to this (so forgive me when I am wrong), but does not Woolyss nosync offers ungoogled Chromium without the update delays?
I hope I have not read wrongly from the links below. To answer you better of Ungoogled Chromium vs Nosync Chromium

Chromium is not a product that Google releases, just a code dump of the Open Source part of Chrome. Chromium (by itself) phones home to Google. This is a feature as put it by their devleopers.

Chrome, closed-sourced, is Chromium + Google API services(not exactly as there are still some differences between Chromium and Chrome)

In short, Chromium phones home ==> Google. Chrome also phones home ==> Google.

Nosnyc Chromium means no syncing to Google API services but that does not mean it don't phones home to Google as Chromium (by itself) phones home to Google, a feature as put it by the devleopers. A difference between Ungoogled Chromium and Chromium.

Another difference between Ungoogled Chromium and Chromium is it(Ungoogled Chromium) selectively borrows many of its features from the following:
Debian
Inox patchset
Iridium Browser

Links you can reference to

UnGoogled Chromium: Chromium with enhanced privacy, control and transparency | Hacker News
Download latest stable Chromium binaries (64-bit and 32-bit)
Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
No more bookmark and password syncing for Chromium browser - Computers Deal Store

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
great thread, really had to laugh about @Umbra real life comparison. I also consider privacy a lost case and am also using the "fake ID and spreading ID-eggs in several baskets" to add some thresholds and noise to the big-data collectors.

And yes on top of above tactics, I am using advised privacy settings and privacy extensions which don't break website functionality.

D

Deleted member 178

Privacy is not and newer was in the hand of the users, so you can't win unless using a tremendous amount of measures which are out of reach of the common people.
If you believe that a VPN and 3 browser extensions will make you anonymous, you have a lot to learn... because your Hardware, Software, Internet connections and even your own online patterns and behaviors must perpetually remain untraceable (or at least blurry enough to avoid recognition).
i personally developed a "checklist" in case i must go this road, and honestly just thinking about it is giving me headaches...

Security is, however, in your hands, after all it is your system, you can secure it to 99.99%

jacemace

Level 1
Apr 17, 2014
Hi - I have just installed this - I may uninstall this right away - there are pre installed crx extensions that can not be removed - they do not show up in the chromium extensions folder at AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Default\Extensions - they do show up in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Chromium\PreferenceMACs\Default\extensions.settings - the pre installed unremovable crx extensions are called CryptoTokenExtension 0.9.73 and Chromium PDF Viewer 1 - you actually can't even turn them on or off - only go to the details page - i am going to close ungoogled chromium - and remove the registry settings of the pre installed crx extensions - if they are still there - i am removing ungoogled chromium - here is the only information i can find on the internet about it What is CryptoTokenExtension in Chromium extensions? - and here is a screenshot from my ungoogled chromium extensions setting - and thanks to HarborFront for the detailed descriptions - was unaware of browser phone homes on so called privacy browsers - also on ungoogled chromium faqs page about installing extension here - Frequently Asked Questions | ungoogled-chromium Wiki - it says to download the crx files directly using the posted template CRX URL - i used this and the crx file downloads directly - i have the latest ungoogled chromium version 67.0.3396.87 - i use developer mode - and i dragged and dropped - and ungoogled chromium would not allow installation of the crx files - so i used the website crx4chrome to get crx extensions - and all the crx extensions installed

Attachments

• Screenshot (1225).png
    Screenshot (1225).png
    130.2 KB · Views: 757
  • Screenshot (1226).png
    Screenshot (1226).png
    98.4 KB · Views: 784

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi - I have just installed this - I may uninstall this right away - there are pre installed crx extensions that can not be removed - they do not show up in the chromium extensions folder at AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Default\Extensions - they do show up in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Chromium\PreferenceMACs\Default\extensions.settings - the pre installed unremovable crx extensions are called CryptoTokenExtension 0.9.73 and Chromium PDF Viewer 1 - you actually can't even turn them on or off - only go to the details page - i am going to close ungoogled chromium - and remove the registry settings of the pre installed crx extensions - if they are still there - i am removing ungoogled chromium - here is the only information i can find on the internet about it What is CryptoTokenExtension in Chromium extensions? - and here is a screenshot from my ungoogled chromium extensions setting - and thanks to HarborFront for the detailed descriptions - was unaware of browser phone homes on so called privacy browsers - also on ungoogled chromium faqs page about installing extension here - Frequently Asked Questions | ungoogled-chromium Wiki - it says to download the crx files directly using the posted template CRX URL - i used this and the crx file downloads directly - i have the latest ungoogled chromium version 67.0.3396.87 - i use developer mode - and i dragged and dropped - and ungoogled chromium would not allow installation of the crx files - so i used the website crx4chrome to get crx extensions - and all the crx extensions installed
You can also go to the below site to extract and install chrome extensions to Ungoogled Chromium automatically

Get .CRX Chrome Extension file, it's source code and download .CRX to your computer.

or get the Chromium Extension Installer extension. Read post #13

Note that the extension TRACE cannot be install to Ungoogled Chromium by any manner

Have you tried the the latest release version 67.0.3396.87-3 from below?

Downloads for ungoogled-chromium

It seems you can remove the two(2) extensions Chromium PDF Viewer 1 and CryptoTokenExtension 0.9.73 by following the steps below

How to remove a Google Chrome extension 'Installed by enterprise policy'?

but I leave the two(2) extensions alone

From the link below it also seems possible to auto-update Ungoogled Chromium but I haven't tried it....anyway nothing to update for now

[Feature Request] Add support for ungoogled-chromium · Issue #33 · henrypp/chrlauncher

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Latest v80.0.3987.149-2 of Ungoogled Chromium released for Win 64-bit

Note that Ungoogled Chromium only allows the user to manually download the extension crx file and upload the unpacked extensions. There's also no auto-updating of extensions. Updated extension also needs to follow the aforementioned.

There's a difference now in uploading of extension to Ungoogled Chromium. If you follow what's in the FAQs it's a hassle and upload of extension won't work

Steps

1) Go to Google Web Store and copy the link of the extension you want
e,g, for uBO the link in the address bar is uBlock Origin

2) Go to Get .CRX Chrome Extension file, it's source code and download .CRX to your computer. and copy the above uBO link to download the crx file

3) Go back to Get .CRX Chrome Extension file, it's source code and download .CRX to your computer. to download the source code (zip file) by clicking 'Choose File' which will direct you to the crx file you downloaded

4) Unpack(unzip) the zip file into a folder

5) In Ungoogled Chromium, go to => More tools => Extensions and enable Developer mode

6) Click 'Load unpacked' and go to the select the folder where the zip file has been unpacked

7) Now the extension will be installed

Long-winded but it's the only way to do for now

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.