Oct 9, 2016

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, after upgraded Ungoogled Chromium to 81.0.4044.138 extensions can now be added directly from hxxp://crxextractor.com/
(Get .CRX Chrome Extension file, it's source code and download .CRX to your computer.) The process is now greatly simplified.

Steps

1) Go to Google Web Store and copy the link of the extension you want
e,g, for uBO the link in the address bar is uBlock Origin

2) Go to hxxp://crxextractor.com/ (Get .CRX Chrome Extension file, it's source code and download .CRX to your computer) and copy the above uBO link to Download .Crx file.

3) Click the 'Download' button twice and the below message box pops up asking the extension uBO to be added

1590365323818.png

With its

1) fast release at hxxps://chromium.woolyss.com/ (Download latest stable Chromium binaries (64-bit and 32-bit)),
2) ease of adding extensions
3) ungoogled and

coupled with Qwant search engine Ungoogled Chromium makes a great choice for a high privacy browser

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
FI, curiosity got the better of me so I went to check up the the difference between the two Ungoogled Chromium versions by Eloston and the one at woolyss. Both are also available at github. The version at woolyss by Marmaduke moves faster in release.

When you click on the version in the woolyss link it opens up and states

No Sync - WebRTC - Widevine - All Codecs - ThinLTO - Ungoogled

Standard build of Eloston's ungoogled-chromium. All patches applied apart from "Safe Browser"

Unquote

Click on Github repository and it brings you to the below link

On Eloston github site it states

Disable functionality specific to Google domains (e.g. Google Host Detector, Google URL Tracker, Google Cloud Messaging, Google Hotwording, etc.)
This includes disabling Safe Browsing. Consult the FAQ for the rationale.

Unquote

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Correction to my above post #62

Ungoogled Chromim (Eloston at Github)

1) not so fast release
3) ungoogled and

coupled with Qwant search engine it makes a great choice for a high privacy browser

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Correction to my above post #62

Ungoogled Chromim (Eloston at Github)

1) not so fast release
3) ungoogled and

coupled with Qwant search engine it makes a great choice for a high privacy browser
I'm using it now as you suggested instead of woolyss. I run it in a stable configuration and it's simple to check for and install updates. I really like that it's very minimalist, with everything you need and nothing you don't.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Sorry again. There's one step which I missed in my above post #62

Steps

1) Go to chrome://flags and set

Handling of extension MIME type requests to ==> 'Always prompt for install'

2) Go to Google Web Store and copy the link of the extension you want
e,g, for uBO the link in the address bar is uBlock Origin

3) Go to hxxp://crxextractor.com/ (Get .CRX Chrome Extension file, it's source code and download .CRX to your computer) and copy the above uBO link to Download .Crx file.

4) Click the 'Download' button twice and a message box pops up asking the extension uBO to be added

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I am using ungoogled chromium as my hardened browser (using Edge as main browser to visit bookmarked websites). I am using Marmaduke's ungoogled version from Woolyss because it updates faster. I download extensions from hxxp://crxextractor.com/ I have no search engine in the taskbar. Together with the 'Auto history delete' extension this gives me a clean new tab page after every restart of ungoogled chrome.

Because I have "Validate Admin Signatures" to block UAC elevation of unsigned binaries, Chromium (like edge with flag de-elevate on launch) also runs in a standard user container (Chromium's chrome.exe is unsigned).

I have all settings to off (except showing home page button with startpage.com search engine) and all site permissions to block except:
- cookies: default allow, block third-party cookies
- sound: default allow
- javascript: default allow, specifically block HTTP://* and [*.]startpage.com (does not show ads on startpage search results)

I run ublockOrigin in easy medium mode, meaning I only allow safe third-party content from HTTP (insecure) websites plus third-party scripts and frames from top level domains I normally visit (whitelisted: com, nl, uk, net, org, io) and explicitely block all some much abused TopLevelDomains.

My Rules
no-cosmetic-filtering: * true
no-csp-reports: * true
* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block
* com * noop
* net * noop
* io * noop
* nl * noop
* org * noop
* uk * noop

My Filters
! Block plugin objects (e.f. flash) and (hyperling auditing & sending beacons) pings
||*$object,ping

! Block insecure third-party content except stylesheet, image and media
||HTTP://*$third-party,~stylesheet,~image,~media

! Block all on much abused generic TLD's
||*.bid^$all
||*.buzz^$all
||*.club^$all
||*.country^$all
||*.date^$all
||*.download^$all
||*.fun^$all
||*.gdn^$all
||*.host^$all
||*.icu^$all
||*.jetz^$all
||*.kim^$all
||*.loan^$all
||*.men^$all
||*.mobi^$all
||*.mom^$all
||*.party^$all
||*.pics^$all
||*.racing^$all
||*.ren^$all
||*.rest^$all
||*.review^$all
||*.ryukyu^$all
||*.science^$all
||*.shop^$all
||*.site^$all
||*.stream^$all
||*.top^$all
||*.trade^$all
||*.vip^$all
||*.wang^$all
||*.win^$all
||*.work^$all
||*.xin^$all

!
! Block all on much abused country code TLD's. (apologize when your country is mentioned here)
||*.am^$all
||*.cc^$all
||*.cf^$all
||*.cn^$all
||*.fm^$all
||*.ga^$all
||*.gg^$all
||*.ir^$all
||*.ki^$all
||*.kp^$all
||*.la^$all
||*.ml^$all
||*.pw^$all
||*.ru^$all
||*.tk^$all
||*.ua^$all
||*.ug^$all
||*.vn^$all

UBlock blocking a top level domain from VX-Vault
1592045029537.png

Because first party is always allowed on HTTPS, even a website with an suffix which I have not whitelisted for easy-medium mode (e.g. hardware.INFO) works well with above rules
1592059141743.png

Note: When you google for most high level country domains or top levels domains with most malware, phishing, spam, etc be sure to exclude the countries you visit a lot (e.g. The Netherlands is on third spot of bot net command & control servers, since I am from the Netherlands it is not a good idea to add the reule ||*.NL$all since that woudl block Dutch websites)
1592065114856.png

(source Spamhouse)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
An even faster and simpler way of loading extension crx files. Go to page 1 and read post #13

Go to chrome://flags and set

Handling of extension MIME type requests to ==> 'Always prompt for install'

Make sure Developer mode is ON and use the Load Unpacked to install the Ungoogled Chromium Extension Installer extension

Although the Ungoogled Chromium Extension Installer has not been updated for 1 year plus I just tried it and it still works

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront
Tried that but does not seem to work on Woolyss ungoogled version

View attachment 242669
If you successfully installed the Ungoogled Chromium Extension Installer extension you should see the below pop up message when you are in Chrome Web Store and wanting to install the extension, in this case is ClearURLs, when you right click anywhere on the page

Can you see the 'Install extension' below the uBO's Block Element?

1592045470153.png

Click on the 'Install extension' and it'll ask you whether you want to add the extension

1592045757138.png

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just a note in the use of Ungoogled Chromium for Windows

There are many available compiled by different authors like from

Eloston site (Safe Browsing removed - slowest to release a new version)

Woolyss (Safe Browsing not removed)

Winchrome (Safe Browsing not removed)

and maybe some other authors as well. Just take one and stick to the same author for updates/new version. Don't mix the different authors

This also applies to other platforms like for macOS, Arch Linux, Ubuntu etc

Reactions: Moonhorse

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I never realized there are so many different flavors of Ungoogled Chromium. Which one seems to stand out?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I never realized there are so many different flavors of Ungoogled Chromium. Which one seems to stand out?
It depends on what OS platform you are using and the availability of the author which incidentally affects the speed of the package's availability

Last edited:
Reactions: Trooper

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Windows 10 x64 Enterprise.
Sometimes Ungoogled Chromium can be very late because no author is avaiable to compile for WIndows OS. This affects the security of the browser.

For home users I don't think it matters because nobody is going to hack you unless you are the outstanding one in the community

Reactions: Trooper

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Sometimes Ungoogled Chromium can be very late because no author is avaiable to compile for WIndows OS. This affects the security of the browser.

For home users I don't think it matters because nobody is going to hack you unless you are the outstanding one in the community

I would still prefer to have the most up to date one with patches etc. Do any builds stand out moreso than others with regards to this?

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I would still prefer to have the most up to date one with patches etc. Do any builds stand out moreso than others with regards to this?
You can try the UC Win x64 flavor over at woolyss by Marmaduke. Most of the times it moves faster than the version as compared to Eloston. I'm not too sure of its Safe Browsing and extensions loading though because I'm not using it. This time it seems to be a bit slower for the 105 build release as compared to Eloston

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
You can try the UC Win x64 flavor over at woolyss by Marmaduke. Most of the times it moves faster than the version as compared to Eloston. I'm not too sure of its Safe Browsing and extensions loading though because I'm not using it. This time it seems to be a bit slower for the 105 build release as compared to Eloston

So with some of these, the extensions are more difficult to install?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.