Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Didn't work.

Failed to load extension

FileZ:\Extract\chromium-web-store-1.2.3
ErrorManifest file is missing or unreadable
Could not load manifest.
Have you set the flag as below

chrome://flags/#extension-mime-request-handling to change from "Default" to "Install always" to make it prompt the user to install. "Default" will cause you to download the extension's crx file instead.

and

Enable Developer mode at the top right corner in the Extensions page

After that

Download the zip file and extract again. The below files/folders should be in the unzipped folder. Load unpacked the unzipped folder again

1614491514548.png

If all else fail then remove the Ungoogled Chromium browser, re-download and install again. I'm using the installer version NOT the zip version.

BTW, what OS are you using?

Last edited:

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
Have you set the flag as below

chrome://flags/#extension-mime-request-handling to change from "Default" to "Install always" to make it prompt the user to install. "Default" will cause you to download the extension's crx file instead.

and

Enable Developer mode at the top right corner in the Extensions page

After that

Download the zip file and extract again. The below files/folders should be in the unzipped folder. Load unpacked the unzipped folder again

View attachment 254718

If all else fail then remove the Ungoogled Chromium browser, re-download and install again. I'm using the installer version NOT the zip version.

BTW, what OS are you using?
Yes

Reactions: Nevi

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
The first time I installed Ungoogled Chromium I got a shock of my life because it does not prompt you with any dialogue boxes
it just installs and finishes without any indication. I thought I was doing something wrong with the install.

Ungoo

Jul 27, 2021
Hello, are there any important (security/privacy) difference between tangalbert919 and macchrome builds of Ungoogled Chromium? Did someone take a look on it?

The builds of tangalbert919 are officially recommended by Eloston, but they have almost always pretty old chromium version.

On the other hand, the builds of macchrome have the last chromium version, but I do not know whether one can trust this builds.

Builds of tangalbert919:

Builds of macchrome (earlier marmaduke):

What do you think?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hello, are there any important (security/privacy) difference between tangalbert919 and macchrome builds of Ungoogled Chromium? Did someone take a look on it?

The builds of tangalbert919 are officially recommended by Eloston, but they have almost always pretty old chromium version.

On the other hand, the builds of macchrome have the last chromium version, but I do not know whether one can trust this builds.

Builds of tangalbert919:

Builds of macchrome (earlier marmaduke):

What do you think?

Builds at Eloston are better at de-googling than other variants. Let's say the other variants apply less de-googling patches and is also the reason why other variants are quicker to launch

The maintainer (tangalbert919) is not there, so have to wait for the next maintainer to take over. Not sure when that will be. However, the latest source code can be found here

and you can install according to instructions here

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
After such a long wait UC 95.0.4638.69-1 (Eloston) finally released

Get it here

Just great. I hope the contributor continues with the updates
Decided to give the zip version of this another try.
Having an issue installing uBO.
uc error.jpg

Edit
I downloaded the CRX and its working now.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have tried the Marmaduke and the Eloston versions of Chromium.

What is interesting in these versions of Chromium, there are no Settings in the Security section of the browsers to set Secure DNS over HTTPS to your DNS of choice like the settings appear in the current version of Google Chrome, Firefox, and Opera for that matter.

Could it be that Google despite its "call home" history is one up on Chromium by making these specific settings available within the program gui?
There is a provision in UG (Eloston) to set Secure DNS

1636354845727.png
1636354875809.png

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

In the past I used Ungoogled Chromium, because it had two advantages for me:
  • Being ungoogled obviously has some privacy advantages and because the maintainer is a hardcore 'less is more' promotor I think (soft non rational emotional argument) that this ungoogled variant was a bit more ungoogled than other ungoogled browsers
  • Being an unsigned program and I have set UAC to block elevation of unsigned programs, ungoogled chromium ran in an additional standard user rights container.
I downloaded it and added uBO to the mix to discovered a third advantage
  • Microsoft Defender Protected Folder blocks ungoogled from changing my user folders, so now I have an additional data layer protection on top of the build in site permission block (allow file access)

In the past I stopped using Eloston's ungoogled because the maintainer (Eloston) was (to) many release cycles behind Chrome, which sort of nullified the standard user rights security advantage (became a security risk) and made me move over to Woolyss ungoogled.

@HarborFront I have not been following the releases, how up to date is Eloston's ungoogled nowadays?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.