Hot Take [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Comparison between browser extensions

Test 29/12
Q&A - [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 24/11
Q&A - [Updated 24/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 12/11
Q&A - [Updated 12/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 7/11
Q&A - [Updated 7/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 6/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 3/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 2/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test, quick 1/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Fun test 25/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 24/7/2018 (most comprehensive, as possible)
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 19/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 10/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 18/7/2018

Updated 10/7/2018

Updated 7/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 7/6/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 3/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 3/6/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 25/4/2018
Poll - [Updated 25/4/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Update: 23/3/2018
Poll - [Updated 23/3/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Browser: Google Chrome 65 x64
Malware and phishing links: 10 malc0de, 10 vxvault, 10 openphish, 10 verified phishtank, 10 unverified phishtank
Total: 50 links
Extensions: recently downloaded from Chrome Web Store
- Google Safe Browsing (built-in chrome's protection)
- AdGuard AdBlocker: default settings, uses Google Safe Browsing (delayed) and their own database
- Avira browser safety: default settings
- Norton Safe Web: default settings
- Bitdefender Trafficlight: default settings, it rarely blocks any malware links, just old ones
- Avast Online Security: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- Netcraft Extension: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- uBlock Origin with some additional filters

NOTE: the result can vary from day-to-day. Tomorrow with different links, the result can be very different. All are live links but they can be dead a few minutes after the test. No duplication

Results:
result.png

Winner: Google Safe Browsing

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
It kinda depends of your pc, only difference i can see is in ram being used, but still doenst matter because i sit at 60% ram usage while having browser, whatsapp, games, spotify, etc on...if you have cheap 200$ laptop, its total different case

For me the ublock origin is mandatory, i can live without other extensions because of avast web filter, bookmarks and safe browsing habits ( current setup)

Do i ever need netcraft or any other security/ privacy extension? Probably not
I would get rid of extension slowing me down or annoying me somehow, for sure :emoji_innocent:

Were all different and we have own choises of extensions, browsers, antiviruses and other lifestyle
I still agree overkill should be avoided, but im not punishing myself or someone because he uses extension a or b
my friend do not punish anyone. I just say my opinion. And a friend started to visit the forum and he told me he was terrified by the comments he had seen.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
my friend do not punish anyone. I just say my opinion. And a friend started to visit the forum and he told me he was terrified by the comments he had seen.
No worries, every comment should be always taken with a grain of salt. But i just did reset ublock origin filters, anything to recommend? I have google chrome installed with netcraft + ublock origin only. Lets try live with this(atleast for week?)

Ps. posted wrong picture first, now its correct
rulesofadblock.png

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
No worries, every comment should be always taken with a grain of salt. But i just did reset ublock origin filters, anything to recommend? I have google chrome installed with netcraft + ublock origin only. Lets try live with this(atleast for week?)

View attachment 207628
you will surely have more security. But for someone who has not experienced only to see the filters will see the evening nightmares:)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
For me is paranoia. Sure is better to use filters for ublock but for normal user without happy click is paranoia. Never i used filters and never i had one problem. One ad blocker one extesion like bitdefender malwarebytes or avira browser safety and for extra extra protection netcraft you are super secure. And if you use Kaspersky free or forticlient or and Avast the last time you don t need anything accept ad blocker. Is my poor opinion . All the extra extensions killl the speed of your borwser .

+1 to this,

and this:

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015

View attachment 207628
Remove CoinBlockerLists/list_browser.txt

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@Evjl's Rain

Because you warned me MBAM extension had many false positives, I phoned a few (older) relatives on which I had put on MalwareBytes extension on Chromium after moving them to Linux. They told me everything was fine. I also asked my wife whether she had encountered any problems with Chrome. She told me that there was occasion she ran into a website not responding after a Captcha challenge. When she tried on Edge the website had shown het the information. I could not reproduce it because she did nor recalled what website it was.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain

Because you warned me MBAM extension had many false positives, I phoned a few (older) relatives on which I had put on MalwareBytes extension on Chromium after moving them to Linux. They told me everything was fine. I also asked my wife whether she had encountered any problems with Chrome. She told me that there was occasion she ran into a website not responding after a Captcha challenge. When she tried on Edge the website had shown het the information. I could not reproduce it because she did nor recalled what website it was.
FP rate depends on each person in different country
in 1 month of active usage with MBAM extension, I did get ~5-6 websites blocked, which I guarantee they are safe. 1 or 2 are in english and the rest are not english. Some unsigned vietnamese programs downloaded from http are also blocked because they are not popular according to MB's user database
https is popular in the world but in some asian countries, it's just the beginning. Many are still http

I do install MB extension on 1 of my parents' PC, they have no complain yet

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016

View attachment 207628
Found an old uBlock0rigin backup, so installed uB0 again to compare with my settings :) just to show difference. I used to grey-out ( NOOP) 3rd-party scripts and frames blocking for wesbites I would trust (like news websites). See picture below

Back to Adguard Beta with Simple DNS Filter (not because I think it is better, but just to prevent me from micro managing blocklsts and get used to this type of web experience with Manifest limitation of just 30K block rules on domain).

Attachments

• my-ublock-static-filters.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

DotNet

Level 1
Verified
Sep 4, 2017

View attachment 207628
Fanboy's Annoyance list includes Cookie and Social Blocking. Fanboy Adblock Homepage is the Fanboy website. Check out his Ultimate list, it includes all Easy and Fanboy in one. To use it uncheck all Easy and Fanboy and then add the single filter.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.