Hot Take [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Comparison between browser extensions

Test 29/12
Q&A - [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 24/11
Q&A - [Updated 24/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 12/11
Q&A - [Updated 12/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 7/11
Q&A - [Updated 7/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 6/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 3/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 2/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test, quick 1/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Fun test 25/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 24/7/2018 (most comprehensive, as possible)
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 19/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 10/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 18/7/2018

Updated 10/7/2018

Updated 7/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 7/6/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 3/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 3/6/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 25/4/2018
Poll - [Updated 25/4/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Update: 23/3/2018
Poll - [Updated 23/3/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Browser: Google Chrome 65 x64
Malware and phishing links: 10 malc0de, 10 vxvault, 10 openphish, 10 verified phishtank, 10 unverified phishtank
Total: 50 links
Extensions: recently downloaded from Chrome Web Store
- Google Safe Browsing (built-in chrome's protection)
- AdGuard AdBlocker: default settings, uses Google Safe Browsing (delayed) and their own database
- Avira browser safety: default settings
- Norton Safe Web: default settings
- Bitdefender Trafficlight: default settings, it rarely blocks any malware links, just old ones
- Avast Online Security: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- Netcraft Extension: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- uBlock Origin with some additional filters

NOTE: the result can vary from day-to-day. Tomorrow with different links, the result can be very different. All are live links but they can be dead a few minutes after the test. No duplication

Results:
result.png

Winner: Google Safe Browsing

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Do you know if Google Safe Browsing is any "weaker" in Edge (or other Chromium based browsers) compared to Google Chrome?
edge does not have google safe browsing. Edge replaces it with smartscreen, which is a bit better than google safe browsing

other chromium-based browsers like chromium (woolyss) has safe browsing and it's the full version of safe browsing. I don't know about other chromium browsers
firefox has a 30-minute delayed version of safe browsing

use chrome or chromium + windows defender browser protection = has both safe browsing and smartscreen

gordonshumway

Dec 14, 2021
edge does not have google safe browsing. Edge replaces it with smartscreen, which is a bit better than google safe browsing

use chrome or chromium + windows defender browser protection = has both safe browsing and smartscreen
Thanks very much. I'm using Edge and NextDNS with Google Safe Browsing enabled so have SmartScreen and the version of GSB made available to NextDNS.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Some of above posts indicate BD OK in Edge and problem may be specific to Chrome/Chromium. @Evjl's Rain said it looked like a repeat of a previously fixed bug. He doesn't mention reporting it to BD.
Yeah, I saw that, thanks, I was just wondering if Bitdefender knew, I doubt it though, especially since the Chrome extension has not been updated since April 2021.

Reactions: oldschool

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Some of above posts indicate BD OK in Edge and problem may be specific to Chrome/Chromium. @Evjl's Rain said it looked like a repeat of a previously fixed bug. He doesn't mention reporting it to BD.
I have been following this thread for a couple of years now, the best thread on security web browser extensions, I like to try some of them every now & then trying to see which one is best overall.

I wish that Malwarebytes Browser Guard would integrate Ublock Origin to improve its ad / pop-up blocking & fix an issue where it messes up the smart naming feature (when you go to save a video, the file name will be random text, so you have to manually enter the name yourself) in Video DownloadHelper (which I reported, they said that it is a long reported Chromium issue that Google has yet to fix, but I only have this problem when using their browser extension), then I would not need Ublock Origin.

I usually jump back & forth between Malwarebytes Browser Guard, Bitdefender Trafficlight, and nothing but a web browsers built-in protection because I usually get tired of Malwarebytes Browser Guard conflicting with that web browser extension.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Agreed. I use Emsisoft. Good enough for me.
I really wanted to like Emsisoft Browser Security, but it does not seem to perform (not equal to or greater than the built-in web browser security) that well in the tests that I have seen & they had that annoying bug where when you report a website, the extension would not let you report another website until you exit your browser & open it back; I wonder if they have fixed that?

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I have been following this thread for a couple of years now, the best thread on security web browser extensions, I like to try some of them every now & then trying to see which one is best overall.

I wish that Malwarebytes Browser Guard would integrate Ublock Origin to improve its ad / pop-up blocking & fix an issue where it messes up the smart naming feature (when you go to save a video, the file name will be random text, so you have to manually enter the name yourself) in Video DownloadHelper (which I reported, they said that it is a long reported Chromium issue that Google has yet to fix, but I only have this problem when using their browser extension), then I would not need Ublock Origin.

I usually jump back & forth between Malwarebytes Browser Guard, Bitdefender Trafficlight, and nothing but a web browsers built-in protection because I usually get tired of Malwarebytes Browser Guard conflicting with that web browser extension.
Sometimes I use UBO and MBG together, when I do I turn off ad-blocking in MBG and let UBO do the heavy lifting, no use having 2 extensions trying to do the same thing IMO.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Sometimes I use UBO and MBG together, when I do I turn off ad-blocking in MBG and let UBO do the heavy lifting, no use having 2 extensions trying to do the same thing IMO.
That makes sense, I usually keep ad-blocking enabled in Malwarebytes Browser Guard out of curiosity of whether it can block some things that Ublock Origin might miss, allegedly it shows that it does block a few things on each page, but sometimes I disable the ad-blocking on websites that seem to be acting glitchy.

Reactions: oldschool

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I have Kaspersky Internet Security on my PC but did not install the extension. I also use NextDNS, uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. Whenever I surf on shady sites,KIS reacts first then NextDNS: they want to block malware and phishing. When I surf on secure sites, it's mostly Ublock Origin and Privacy badger to block ads and trackers. In UO, I only use Kees1958 minimum filters, Adguard url tracking and Adguard filters for my language and they do the job. Have only 34684 filter lists activated.

Capture d’écran 2022-01-29 015657.jpg

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Thanks, you inspired me to try it again, I installed the one from the Microsoft Edge store, I will try to let you know if the report a dangerous site bug has been fixed yet or not.
I have experienced the same, but in way that you cant be fast enough to click extension at frontline page, since it redirects to scam domains automatically...and fighting against those scam /fake sites its endless run

But i use emsisoft on edge too, and wont use bitdefender as they discontinued their free antivirus incase they discontinue the extension aswell

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I have Kaspersky Internet Security on my PC but did not install the extension. I also use NextDNS, uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. Whenever I surf on shady sites,KIS reacts first then NextDNS: they want to block malware and phishing. When I surf on secure sites, it's mostly Ublock Origin and Privacy badger to block ads and trackers. In UO, I only use Kees1958 minimum filters, Adguard url tracking and Adguard filters for my language and they do the job. Have only 34684 filter lists activated.

View attachment 263871
Thank you for sharing that, do you use the free version of NextDNS?

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I have experienced the same, but in way that you cant be fast enough to click extension at frontline page, since it redirects to scam domains automatically...and fighting against those scam /fake sites its endless run

But i use emsisoft on edge too, and wont use bitdefender as they discontinued their free antivirus incase they discontinue the extension aswell
Wow! I did not know that Bitdefender was discontinuing Bitdefender Antivirus Free, thanks for letting me know, I see that Bitdefender Trafficlight has not been updated since April of last year, I wonder will it be next.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I personally have a pretty similar setup as @Back3
I don't see a reason to really use an extension just for blocking malicious sites as NextDNS + uBlock Origin's (Maware domains blocklists) + Browser's integrated Google Safe Browsing and maybe even your AV that uses HTTPS-Scanning are definitely enough protection and don't require you to install another extension that has access to your browsing data and that might even increase attack-surface.

@goodjohnjr how about you create a Security Config thread so that people can give some more recommendations?

You can create it here:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.