Real-time security
Windows Defender 4.10
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
MBAM, Kaspersky Rescue Disk, WDO, ESET LiveCD, Dr.Web CureIT
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox:Self destructing Cookies, uBLOCK Origin,BD Traffic Light,LastPass,FEBE, 1-click YT downloader,Ghostery,Private Tab,Simple Currency Convertor, Translate This! & User Agent Switcher,self destruct cookies,HTTPS Everywhere
Maintenance tools
MSO 2016, Libreoffice, EMET,CCleaner,Bleachbit, Quick Clean from TWC,Tweaking.com's system tweakers and repair tools, Native Windows Disk Cleanup tool and several Tools in Nirsoft, HBCD ,F4 UBCD(except TrueCrypt) and WinPE 10 Sergei Strelec (x86/x64) .
File and Photo backup
Cloneapp
System recovery
Macrium Reflect
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/vasudevs-laptop-specs.61855/

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Hello @Vasudev
Your config look good but i give you little tips to make it better :)
  • Change MSE to another AV(Example Qihoo,Panda Free,Avira Free)
  • Install more on-demand scanners like a Zemana,EKK
  • Install PrivaZer
  • If u want test samples i recommend use Sandboxie or Virtual Machine
  • Change AdBlock to uBlock
  • Install Https everywhere
Thanks for share your config.
Sayonara ;)

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Thanks @FireShootSK.
Is ublock available for firefox on linux? 'cause I didn't see it.
I was using Vipre AV & changed to MSE to prevent KPP of AV protection drivers & filters.
Forgot to mention about PrivaZer.

Reactions: Logethica

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @Vasudev. Your configuration for 3 PCs provides a wealth of protections, and I particularly liked seeing you've SelfDestructingCookies in place for privacy. Tonight I've begun using CCleaner prior to all my browsing sessions rather than afterward. This was inspired by linux's bleachbit, and it's optional running at start-up which reduces tracking. Another simple yet effective method to further secure privacy, if you haven't already done this, is setting Firefox to 'Never remember history'.
If you're happy using MSE, do consider the practical advice @FireShootSK mentioned by utilizing a sandbox,
..which (imho) is among the foremost methods of protecting your system.

We've followed @frogboy's tip to you, and use Shadow Defender for 2 of our 3 computers!;)
Although we prefer Sandboxie's & Shadow Defender's protections, for our revived Dell desktop with linux lubuntu, we've chosen a free sandboxing alternative called "Time Freeze" to shield Windows XP's unpatched holes that could cause it to sink!:p
The use of safe habits shall continue to be the better protection than the best apps & extensions.
Thanks for sharing with us, and allowing us to share with you!:D

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may add backup browser like Chrome or Opera in case of any problems to Firefox with this capable extensions as possible only: Adguard and HTTPS Everywhere

Another alternative suggestion is to install Virtualbox in Linux as for safety process which you can test samples without worries.

It can be same in Windows just make sure don't mess any settings on network to avoid possible viruses jump to windows host system.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Windows Defender Offline is burned to my flash drive to remove viruses on an infected systems.

Reactions: Logethica

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
You should add Zemana Anti-Malware as another scanner. Also I recommend that you add Malwarebytes Ant-Exploit Free for added protection. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.