Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Do you know anything about Chrome ? Vivaldi is built on the chrome engine
so it has a very good security rating, and utilizes "for now" the same store as chrome, but this will change soon as
Vivaldi Technologies is planning to release in the near future the ability to "sync" and add the M3 Mail client as well as
release their own store for their own extension paltform.
I personally have Vivaldi as a backup browser seeing I am a Firefox user, but Vivaldi is very quickly making headway. Vivaldi is not for everyone though, it's a acquired taste ;)

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Do you know anything about Chrome ? Vivaldi is built on the chrome engine
so it has a very good security rating, and utilizes "for now" the same store as chrome, but this will change soon as
Vivaldi Technologies is planning to release in the near future the ability to "sync" and add the M3 Mail client as well as
release their own store for their own extension paltform.
Yes, i used chrome before it crashed my pc..

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Yes, i used chrome before it crashed my pc..
Ok well this part of the post may apply to you better then:
I personally have Vivaldi as a backup browser seeing I am a Firefox user, but Vivaldi is very quickly making headway. Vivaldi is not for everyone though, it's a acquired taste ;)
You may want to look for a browser that's not based on the chrome engine then,
or stick with Opera. :)

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Ok well this part of the post may apply to you better then:
You may want to look for a browser that's not based on the chrome engine then,
or stick with Opera. :)
Okay ;)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
The main difference between Vivaldi and Opera is that Opera is a more commercial company and it is located on the stock market. Opera changed their ideas and route they were going. They now want to be a more 'mainstream' browser, in which I mean they want to get a larger userbase, which consist not only those called 'power users', but also many less IT knowledged people. In the Opera staff, there were disputes and the result is now that Jon Von Tetzchner left the company and started Vivaldi. About Opera, as a long time Opera user, I too have mixed feelings about the security, more general the privacy, of Opera. Not really in the current state, since the Chinese deal is still quite fresh. But in the future, I have doubts that it will stay the same. Opera has gathered a huge amount amount of new users with their fresh built-in VPN, but that VPN service is delivered by Surfeasy, a company Opera bought about one or two years ago. The thing is that Surfeasy wasn't included in the Chinese deal, so in the future, it might be the case they are going to run their own servers to be able to still have that VPN, as the browser and Opera mediaworks + Surfeasy etc. are now separate companies in fact. Next to their VPN they still have Opera Turbo which is a proxy that uses their own Opera servers and in that perspective it's a really nice article you mentioned there @_CyberGhosT_. So if they are moving their servers to China too, the privacy concerns really might get to higher levels. With their growing userbase, they need to invest in other servers, in China too. And so it slowly starts.... And in the far future, let's say 5 years or so, I actually think the name Opera will slowly fade away into something Chinese. I can be wrong of course, but you know that in economical context, everything is possible. A few days after the deal finished, they already got rid of a big amount of developers and some big names in the Opera team left by own decision, so I don't see a really bright future for Opera, or at least not for the Opera as it once was back in the day.
On the other hand Vivaldi is just a startup and not profitable yet. All the money is coming from Jon and deals with websites and companies to get a bookmark of their site into the browser by default and revenue from search engines. He already made clear he doesn't want make the same mistake again, so they will remain a company on its own as long as the can. They promise that privacy is very important for them, so you should not worry about that like I said. They have a very close relation and communication with their users on the Vivaldi blogs and forums and if something privacy related will be discovered, it will be immediately discussed by the fans and fixed by the developers (that google safebrowsing I talked about for example). They also host everyting themselves in Iceland and Norway. A whole different story compared to Opera, so I agree that Vivaldi is safer in that context compared to Opera.
They both use Chromium, so you have all the advantages and security patches that Chrome/Chromium receives and the safebrowsing, which is the same for Opera, Vivaldi and Chrome (i.e. google safebrowsing) Opera used yandex safebrowsing in the past, but I think they don't anymore and replaced it by google safebrowsing. @Xsjx. You can install all the extensions like the Avira one from the Chrome web store in Vivaldi too. In fact you should be more worried about site tracking you and spreading malware than Vivaldi ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
The main difference between Vivaldi and Opera is that Opera is a more commercial company and it is located on the stock market. Opera changed their ideas and route they were going. They now want to be a more 'mainstream' browser, in which I mean they want to get a larger userbase, which consist not only those called 'power users', but also many less IT knowledged people. In the Opera staff, there were disputes and the result is now that Jon Von Tetzchner left the company and started Vivaldi. About Opera, as a long time Opera user, I too have mixed feelings about the security, more general the privacy, of Opera. Not really in the current state, since the Chinese deal is still quite fresh. But in the future, I have doubts that it will stay the same. Opera has gathered a huge amount amount of new users with their fresh built-in VPN, but that VPN service is delivered by Surfeasy, a company Opera bought about one or two years ago. The thing is that Surfeasy wasn't included in the Chinese deal, so in the future, it might be the case they are going to run their own servers to be able to still have that VPN, as the browser and Opera mediaworks + Surfeasy etc. are now separate companies in fact. Next to their VPN they still have Opera Turbo which is a proxy that uses their own Opera servers and in that perspective it's a really nice article you mentioned there @_CyberGhosT_. So if they are moving their servers to China too, the privacy concerns really might get to higher levels. With their growing userbase, they need to invest in other servers, in China too. And so it slowly starts.... And in the far future, let's say 5 years or so, I actually think the name Opera will slowly fade away into something Chinese. I can be wrong of course, but you know that in economical context, everything is possible. A few days after the deal finished, they already got rid of a big amount of developers and some big names in the Opera team left by own decision, so I don't see a really bright future for Opera, or at least not for the Opera as it once was back in the day.
On the other hand Vivaldi is just a startup and not profitable yet. All the money is coming from Jon and deals with websites and companies to get a bookmark of their site into the browser by default and revenue from search engines. He already made clear he doesn't want make the same mistake again, so they will remain a company on its own as long as the can. They promise that privacy is very important for them, so you should not worry about that like I said. They have a very close relation and communication with their users on the Vivaldi blogs and forums and if something privacy related will be discovered, it will be immediately discussed by the fans and fixed by the developers (that google safebrowsing I talked about for example). They also host everyting themselves in Iceland and Norway. A whole different story compared to Opera, so I agree that Vivaldi is safer in that context compared to Opera.
They both use Chromium, so you have all the advantages and security patches that Chrome/Chromium receives and the safebrowsing, which is the same for Opera, Vivaldi and Chrome (i.e. google safebrowsing) Opera used yandex safebrowsing in the past, but I think they don't anymore and replaced it by google safebrowsing. @Xsjx. You can install all the extensions like the Avira one from the Chrome web store in Vivaldi too. In fact you should be more worried about site tracking you and spreading malware than Vivaldi ;)
Wholy crap @kev216 , sentence structure brother :p lol
Seriously though, I feel ya brother.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
So is vivaldi from early Opera developers?
Jon Von Tetzchner, the founder of Opera is now the CEO and founder of Vivaldi. Tomita Tatsuki, an ex opera employee is also cofounder of Vivaldi. The developers team has several old Opera employees but also others that doesn't have a history at Opera. They want to bring back the Opera presto browser, so it's understandable that they attract Opera developers who lost their job.

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

This is what I call a great answer :cool:

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Jon Von Tetzchner, the founder of Opera is now the CEO and founder of Vivaldi. Tomita Tatsuki, an ex opera employee is also cofounder of Vivaldi. The developers team has several old Opera employees but also others that doesn't have a history at Opera. They want to bring back the Opera presto browser, so it's understandable that they attract Opera developers who lost their job.
I cant install Vivaldi on W10 Any help?
It says ask if the developer has a version for your pc..

And from Opera if i download it it says Network problem..

Reactions: SHvFl

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Okay after some research i have decided to bite the bullet and install vivaldi on my linux system,curiousity got the better of me and i must say i am very impressed.No lags to speak of and appears smooth and stable.kudos to the vivaldi team.
I like it so far and i cant see any reason why i cant use it as my primary browser.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Vivaldi 1.8 STABLE released! - Vivaldi makes History.

Releasing version 1.8 of Vivaldi, we’re making browsing history more useful than ever before.

Releasing Vivaldi 1.8 today, we are proud to give you our new History – a powerful tool that lets you explore your browsing patterns and makes finding previously visited web pages easier than ever before.

Fresh look at History
Many of us rely on our browsing history to find visited websites. Yet, in most browsers, history is quite limited in its approach. You’d get a long list of pages visited and you’d need to search and scroll through hundreds of lines to find what you’re looking for.

There is a reason for that – as a rule, browsers don’t really want you to use history. They want you to search and find things multiple times because search royalties are part of their business model.

We’re thinking differently and giving you an entirely new approach to history – a detailed overview backed by statistics and presented in a fresh, visual way.

screenshots-2.jpg

So many ways to find everything
At Vivaldi, we always want to give you the flexibility you deserve so that you can use the browser exactly the way you want. History is no exception, and there is more than just one way of working with it.

The bottom-up approach is through search where you’d get a traditional list of pages you visited. There is also the top-down approach with monthly, weekly and daily overviews, where you get so much more than just a list of links. Graphs and a color-coded heat map overlay add another dimension, showing peaks of online activity and key browsing trends. There is also an option to search with a specified date range.

Quite often, when you’re trying to look for something in your browsing history, words escape you. And how are you going to search for something if you don’t remember the name of the company or website that you’re looking for?

Vivaldi’s history puts searches in context. Let’s say you’re trying to remember where you saw that gift for a special someone, and you can roughly recall that it was on the day when you spent a lot of time reading news. Using the calendar view that shows a list of top domains visited each day, you can see the day with most visits to news websites and narrow down your search from there.

For your eyes only
Vivaldi doesn’t collect your history data. All of this information is strictly private and local to your computer. What you get to see is the kind of data that could be tracked by third parties. Instead of trying to monetize it, we are giving you this data – for your eyes only. With the ability to analyze this information, you can decide if you want to adjust your online behavior or remove certain items from the list.

History on your side
We have also added History to the Side Panel where you can find your Bookmarks, Downloads, Notes and websites of your choice. Clicking on the History icon will reveal a list of previously visited URLs alongside the page you’re currently viewing.

screenshots-5.jpg
screenshot-3b.jpg

Always striving to give you more
History is not the only new thing in Vivaldi 1.8 With each release, we want to improve every aspect of the program, and 1.8 is no exception. Here are some highlights.

• Create notes with drag-and-drop: you may already be using the Notes Panel where you can add your thoughts and even screenshots to the pages you’re browsing. Now you can also create notes by simply dragging and dropping selected text into the Notes menu – not only from the browser itself, but from any other application.

screenshots-4.jpg

• Advanced tab muting: we want you to have full control over what plays in your browser and what doesn’t. You can now choose if you want to allow sounds in all tabs; only let the active tab play sound or let background tabs play sound as long as the active tab doesn’t.
  • Other improvements: the latest release includes a number of other important updates that we hope you will find useful:
  • Preference to enable or disable auto-updates on Windows.
  • Option to set the home page to Start page.
  • Ability to open links in the current tab from the right-click menu.
  • An option to display hibernated tabs in grayscale.
  • Matches are highlighted in the address bar drop-down menu.
  • Translation improvements for Chromium.
  • Image search from the right-click menu.
What we always find interesting is finding out about how you use the Vivaldi browser. How do you think you will be using our new History and other new features? Let us know!

For full changelog and blogpost, check: Vivaldi Makes History
Downloads are available at Vivaldi – The Web browser you will love! Powerful, customizable, secure, free and fun Web browser from Vivaldi Technologies!

Enjoy! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.