Not open for further replies.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
kev216 said:
To set a certain homepage go to the settings (alt+p or type vivaldi://settings/startup/ in adress bar) -> startup -> start with and choose "specific pages". (see: http://i.imgur.com/ei6HD0h.png) By default it will load the latest session after you closed the browser. Now if you maximize the browser, it should stay maximized too after closing and reopening.
I have tried the same with this RC 1.7 and is was all fine, now updated to the stable version 1.7 :)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Create Notes from drag and drop – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.8.755.3
Blogpost: Create Notes from drag & drop - Snapshot 1.8.755.3 | Vivaldi Browser

After releasing Vivaldi 1.7 stable last week, we’re back to bug-fixing and adding new features to the Vivaldi browser. Highlights of today’s snapshot are:
  • As requested by quite a few of you, you can now select the Vivaldi Start Page as your default homepage in your Startup settings.
  • Sort your browsing history easily within the History Panel.
  • In the context menu, we added the “Open Link” option to let you simply open a link in the current tab.
  • Create a new Note by simply dragging and dropping text from anywhere in your computer to your notes in the Vivaldi browser or easily paste your copied texts anywhere in the Notes menu.
  • Last but not least, we added further options to the new Tab Muting feature, which now allows you to:
    • Let all tabs play sound (like we do today)
    • Only let the active tab play sound
    • Let a background tab keep playing sound, as long as the active does not

Download (1.8.755.3)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
A historic snapshot – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.8.770.9
Blogpost: A historic snapshot – Snapshot 1.8.770.9 | Vivaldi Browser

This is a historic snapshot for us because we re-wrote the history feature. We also fixed almost 40 bugs and upgraded the Chromium backend.

a3.small_-1.png

history-month2.png
History
The highlight for today’s snapshot is our fresh take on the browser history feature. With other browsers, the primary way of finding previously viewed sites is simply via searching, which works well enough when you already have a good idea of what you are looking for. We wanted to also cater for those cases where you can’t quite remember enough details to efficiently search, where you want to explore your data to uncover some previous gems or perhaps when you just want to better understand your browsing habits and behavior.

In addition to searching and scanning through the traditional list view found in all browsers, our history also allows you to display data with daily, weekly and monthly overviews. This means you can easily use the common time frame limitations that people are accustomed to working with. You can also quickly switch forward or backwards in day, week or month jumps. We also provide a nice single click button to bring you back to the current, day, week or month.

To make looking through your history more insightful in regard to your online behavior, we include numerous graphical clues about your browsing patterns. A graph to visualize your browsing activity over the course of the selected time period, a breakdown of exactly how you navigate around the web and a list of top domains. That way you know whether you are spending too much time on Facebook, Twitter or vivaldi.net and can adjust any bad habits accordingly — hint: spend more time on vivaldi.net. You can also right-click any address or domain to filter your search results.

Perhaps the most interesting view is the monthly calendar which provides a very simple way to see a day by day break down of your top viewed domains and a heat map of your browsing activity. In my own case, I see that my browsing is significantly less on the weekend and I view very different websites — nothing weird honestly, unless of course you consider lusting over the latest penny farthings on unicycle.com to be weird.

If you want to remove anything from history, we provide a handy option to delete various types of data based on ranges or you can be more precise and delete any individual item or selection from one of the list views.

Needless to say, we respect your privacy and don’t collect any of your history data. Rather than trying to monetize your browsing patterns, we choose to empower you by providing a way of exploring them.

Download (1.8.770.9)

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Long time Vivaldi user. It is alrdy so good, with so much costumisazion and so well working. The devs need a big thumps up! They realy try to make it to a browser like no other, like a browser where u can do exactly what u want. It seems that they realy working hard from the start on and still doing strong. I realy, realy like the devloper team. respect for them and for a great project!

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I am a linux user and i am getting very tempted to try this browser...any known linux issues..?

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I am a linux user and i am getting very tempted to try this browser...any known linux issues..?
It should work perfectly fine on linux. Just be sure the the snapshot builds might have some bugs, which the stable channel (download the stable at vivaldi.com) will not have. If you want the build with the history page, you need to download the snaphot build of course, links are above)
Is this browser actually any good?
Sure it is. It's really worth a try. The developers are trying to give the browser as much features as possible. Vivaldi still is in growing stage and a lot still needs to be done and implemented, but it is already a great browser.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
It should work perfectly fine on linux. Just be sure the the snapshot builds might have some bugs, which the stable channel (download the stable at vivaldi.com) will not have. If you want the build with the history page, you need to download the snaphot build of course, links are above)

Sure it is. It's really worth a try. The developers are trying to give the browser as much features as possible. Vivaldi still is in growing stage and a lot still needs to be done and implemented, but it is already a great browser.
Thx ;) gonna try it :) but is it also as safe as Opera or something else?

Reactions: kev216

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Thx ;) gonna try it :) but is it also as safe as Opera or something else?
What exactly do you mean with safe? They follow the chromium release cycle as much as possible, so it's frequently updated with the newest patches. If you mean privacy, they claim that privacy is very important. They only collect what operating system you use and which version of vivaldi is installed, to make it easier to update to a newer version. No other data is collected.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
One thing though they inherited from chrome is the google phishing and malware protection and google safebrowsing services which may call back home to google. If you want to make vivaldi completely google tracking free, just go to the settings in the pricavy tab and disable those checkboxes. From vivaldi itself like I said earlier there is no tracking involved.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I mean from safe browsing :) and it isnt chinese the company is still norwegian ;)
Ok, but lets be honest here, it's a Chineese owned browser parked in Norway,
no two ways about it, paint it as you wish.

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
One thing though they inherited from chrome is the google phishing and malware protection and google safebrowsing services which may call back home to google. If you want to make vivaldi completely google tracking free, just go to the settings in the pricavy tab and disable those checkboxes. From vivaldi itself like I said earlier there is no tracking involved.
Awesome reply Kev, and accurate :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Heres some facts from Reuters:
Regarding China we already have servers in China and are running this through a Chinese IT company which is in compliance with Chinese laws," Opera CEO Lars Boilesen told Reuters.

QUOTE "China is not a huge market for us on desktop. So this launch has nothing to do with China," he said.

Chinese Internet companies are required to censor any content the ruling Communist Party deems unlawful, a sweeping power which has been used to block content that clashes with the official party line.

China frequently upgrades its Internet censorship mechanism, which is widely considered the world's most sophisticated and known as the Great Firewall. This has often rendered VPNs impotent in China.

Opera is the subject of a $1.28 billion acquisition by a consortium of Chinese firms, including web search and security firm Qihoo 360 Technology Co Ltd and Beijing Kunlun Tech Co." END
Source: Chinese takeover target Opera Software embeds browser security tool

Their "turbo" technology as well routes all http traffic through chineese servers even Opera will tell you this.
Are you and other Opera users aware of the changes to what China now will & does collect on you the user ?
No thank you, but like I said I am glad you like Opera, it may fit exactly what "you" expect out of a browser,
but it does not come close to what I expect out of a browser.
;)

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Heres some facts from Reuters:
Regarding China we already have servers in China and are running this through a Chinese IT company which is in compliance with Chinese laws," Opera CEO Lars Boilesen told Reuters.

QUOTE "China is not a huge market for us on desktop. So this launch has nothing to do with China," he said.

Chinese Internet companies are required to censor any content the ruling Communist Party deems unlawful, a sweeping power which has been used to block content that clashes with the official party line.

China frequently upgrades its Internet censorship mechanism, which is widely considered the world's most sophisticated and known as the Great Firewall. This has often rendered VPNs impotent in China.

Opera is the subject of a $1.28 billion acquisition by a consortium of Chinese firms, including web search and security firm Qihoo 360 Technology Co Ltd and Beijing Kunlun Tech Co." END
Source: Chinese takeover target Opera Software embeds browser security tool

Their "turbo" technology as well routes all http traffic through chineese servers even Opera will tell you this.
Are you and other Opera users aware of the changes to what China now will & does collect on you the user ?
No thank you, but like I said I am glad you like Opera, it may fit exactly what "you" expect out of a browser,
but it does not come close to what I expect out of a browser.
;)
Actually that dornst sound great ): but does vivaldi have Avira safe browsing?
And other addons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.