Advice Request Voodoo Shield Bizzare Behavior

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Virus1x

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 6, 2014
Firstly, I absolutely love VS, It's the perfect compliment to my Glasswire firewall.

Glasswire uses Windows Defender and Allows a simple UI click interface, I use Voodoo Shield as a backup to Windows Defender which is fairly strong itself allowing me to save from buying additional anti-virus software.

However I noticed a few things, It doesn't like EAC (Easy Anti-Cheat) for video games, it's flagged it as potentially dangerous which it isn't.

I also noticed that I can't use my FN+9 key or skip, FN+8, Pause/Play, or FN+7 Previous Track, Bizzare it blocks these inputs?
any thoughts @danb

Reactions: Nevi and Kongo

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Firstly, I absolutely love VS, It's the perfect compliment to my Glasswire firewall.

Glasswire uses Windows Defender and Allows a simple UI click interface, I use Voodoo Shield as a backup to Windows Defender which is fairly strong itself allowing me to save from buying additional anti-virus software.

However I noticed a few things, It doesn't like EAC (Easy Anti-Cheat) for video games, it's flagged it as potentially dangerous which it isn't.

I also noticed that I can't use my FN+9 key or skip, FN+8, Pause/Play, or FN+7 Previous Track, Bizzare it blocks these inputs?
any thoughts @danb
Thank you, I appreciate that! Yeah, there there will be a few false positives.

What app are you using when the FN key combos are not working? Can you please provide steps so I can reproduce the error? If VS is blocking this I will fix it asap.

BTW, you can ignore lothar91, he is also known as JT and he works for a competitor who has been stalking me and VS for 5 or so years. He keeps getting banned, but then he always returns. Anyway, he has never understood how globally blocking vulnerable items can actually be really hard on system, especially when the deny-by-default product does allow the user to override the block, and especially when that particular process execution flow is only going to happen once (like in a driver or install). Then the user wonders why their system is not running correctly. lothar91 apparently does not seem to understand the term vital resources.

Anyway, if VS is blocking your FN key combos it is something that can be fixed... unlike certain deny-by-default products that are fatally flawed to always block without allowing the user to override.

Virus1x

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 6, 2014
Thank you, I appreciate that! Yeah, there there will be a few false positives.

What app are you using when the FN key combos are not working? Can you please provide steps so I can reproduce the error? If VS is blocking this I will fix it asap.

BTW, you can ignore lothar91, he is also known as JT and he works for a competitor who has been stalking me and VS for 5 or so years. He keeps getting banned, but then he always returns. Anyway, he has never understood how globally blocking vulnerable items can actually be really hard on system, especially when the deny-by-default product does allow the user to override the block, and especially when that particular process execution flow is only going to happen once (like in a driver or install). Then the user wonders why their system is not running correctly. lothar91 apparently does not seem to understand the term vital resources.

Anyway, if VS is blocking your FN key combos it is something that can be fixed... unlike certain deny-by-default products that are fatally flawed to always block without allowing the user to override.
Spotify is the application of choice I use for music on my pc that uses my shortcut keyboard codes. (e.g. Skip/Previous/Play/Pause)

Also I always take anything someone stupid says with a grain of sand. Everyone's got an opinnon and they are welcome to it. I'm a member of your product users for quite sometime and This is the first ever issue I've needed to bring up.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Thank you for letting me know. I just installed Spotify from the Microsoft Store and the FN keys are working great with VS 7.03. Is there a different Spotify app that I should test, like a desktop version?

Virus1x

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 6, 2014
Thank you for letting me know. I just installed Spotify from the Microsoft Store and the FN keys are working great with VS 7.03. Is there a different Spotify app that I should test, like a desktop version?
I was on 7.0 of VS so I Upgrade to 7.3 and don't see it happening now, I'll test further and report back. Also can you tell me when we may see the defender ui be implimented into the VS.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I was on 7.0 of VS so I Upgrade to 7.3 and don't see it happening now, I'll test further and report back. Also can you tell me when we may see the defender ui be implimented into the VS.
We might implement DefenderUI into VS at some point, maybe in the next 4-6 months. But then we would need to have a VS with DefenderUI and one without, so that could really complicate things ;).

BTW, a few people have asked if we were going to release a portable version of DefenderUI. If you disable the "Start with Windows" option in DefenderUI, it essentially acts as a portable app that is installed in the appropriate place (Program Files), and the DefenderUIService does not start when the "Start with Windows" option is disabled. Once the user starts DefenderUI, then the DefenderUIService starts, so it is pretty much like a portable app with this option disabled.

Reactions: harlan4096

Virus1x

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 6, 2014
Also I noticed that VS really doesn't like Discord, let alone Powercord, discord lags heavily. No idea why. Computer feels oddly sluggish I can't explain it.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Also I noticed that VS really doesn't like Discord, let alone Powercord, discord lags heavily. No idea why. Computer feels oddly sluggish I can't explain it.
Can you please do the following and I should be able to fix the issue.

• First, please make sure you are running 7.03
  • Exit out of VS
  • Exit out of the Discord app that seems to conflict with VS
  • Start VS
  • Start the Discord app and do whatever steps you need to do to experience the slowdown.
  • Then immediately send me the C:\ProgramData\VoodooShield\DeveloperLog.log file (support at voodooshield.com)
Thank you!

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi I don't want to hijack this thread ,but just wanted to ask while danb is in here .Is the free version on VS customizable at all? Is it still take the same resources on free? Is the protection the same on free ?Thks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.