VoodooShield discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
Frankly I consider the test bogus. Appguard will protect the system against any Run32dll attack, but not by blocking it's execution. I tested against several hundred malware samples gathered here, and VS,ERP, and Appguard protected the system against all of them. In fact to test ERP and VS I had to shut down Appguard or ERP and VS never even got a chance to do anything.

The problem here is Dan said he was testing WHitelisting anti exe's Appguard doesn't even have a whitelist, and it isn't really an AE. Bogus test.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
On Friday, I removed Babylon translation software from automatic startup, and rebooted.
BSOD.
Rebooted again, and Windows could not finish loading.
Rebooted into safe mode, uninstalled VS, rebooted.
Windows loaded properly.

I reinstalled VS, put it in training mode, and rebooted, and then switched to alert mode, rebooted.
Windows loaded properly.

VS has some more work to do with whitelisting command lines. When VS can't read a command line, for whatever reason, this can bork the system.

In fact, the whole reason why I removed Babylon from automatic startup in the first place was to try and solve a VS command line problem. VS was intermittently prompting me for a certain Babylon dll that loads relatively early after system startup. Sometimes it precedes VS, and sometimes not.
Thanks for mentioning this problem. Did you discuss the entire incident and the apparent culprit module with Dan?
Though I know that they're working on improving Command-line scanning, I'm not sure if this issue is known and being worked upon.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks for mentioning this problem. Did you discuss the entire incident and the apparent culprit module with Dan?
Though I know that they're working on improving Command-line scanning, I'm not sure if this issue is known and being worked upon.
Dan knows that VS has a hard time reading certain command lines. He often recommends that people put VS in training mode, and in extreme cases, even to install software in training mode, in order to overcome this problem.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks to your encouragement, I just emailed Dan my report on the problem, together with my logs...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
VoodooShield said:
Yeah, can you send me her settings? I tested with default settings and it was not an optimal result ;). Maybe Comodo should use CS's settings for everyone.
In other words, Dan gave a polite but evasive answer, in order to avoid an epic battle with the Comodo enthusiasts. Smart move, actually.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
I want to amend someothing I said relative to Dan's test and the Appguard results. I used the word bogus, which could imply intentional deceit. I certainly don't believe that to be the case, so it would be more appropriate to describe the results as invalid.

Pete

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I want to amend someothing I said relative to Dan's test and the Appguard results. I used the word bogus, which could imply intentional deceit. I certainly don't believe that to be the case, so it would be more appropriate to describe the results as invalid.

Pete
Perhaps it could best be said that the results present a very interesting but very incomplete picture.

D

Deleted member 178

Perhaps it could best be said that the results present a very interesting but very incomplete picture.
You nailed it. it just showed the 1st stage of the attack , which is not dangerous by itself.

using an analogy :

A terrorist want put a bomb in a building, for that he needs to make a hole in the wall and then place the bomb; the hole isn't dangerous, the bomb is.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
After looking at logs, he said it was a corrupted data base.
The training/whitelisting database? Then resetting or reinstalling should be the way I guess, unless the problem corrupting the database confronts again.

Reactions: askmark

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The training/whitelisting database? Then resetting or reinstalling should be the way I guess, unless the problem corrupting the database confronts again.
He said to delete all data files in the Voodooshield ProgramData folder, and reinstall.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
He said to delete all data files in the Voodooshield ProgramData folder, and reinstall.
yeah, that's a common problem of VS. Sometimes, after a big update, it becomes incompatible with the previous data files and creates random bugs. we may try to backup the settings to VS cloud if we have the pro version, there is an option. If it doesn't work we have to reset the programdata folder

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
yeah, that's a common problem of VS. Sometimes, after a big update, it becomes incompatible with the previous data files and creates random bugs. we may try to backup the settings to VS cloud if we have the pro version, there is an option. If it doesn't work we have to reset the programdata folder
This happened not too long after Thursday's Windows 10 update. Maybe that's connected?
But it was not after a VS update.

Reactions: AtlBo and askmark

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
@danb I was wondering if it could be an option to add a forced cloud upload function to VS (under the restore settings in about section for example)?
Somehow I've removed my computer from my online account :oops: and I wasn't able to upload my whitelist to the cloud until I confirmed my registration again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.