Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Is there a better version of this error in your DeveloperServiceLog.log in the C:\ProgramData\VoodooShield directory? There probably is not because it looks like the service is stopping before it gets a chance to log the exception..

I set up a fresh DeveloperServiceLog.log and rebooted. This is all that logged...

[09-08-2017 13:46:59] [INFO ] - User Log Initialized
[09-08-2017 13:46:59] [INFO ] - Snapshot file Initialized
[09-08-2017 13:46:59] [INFO ] - Service started
[09-08-2017 13:47:00] [INFO ] - Driver communication service started

As before the service (Automatic) did not start and the Event Viewer error (Double not valid).

A question... in the DeveloperLog.log I saw this...

[09-08-2017 13:18:17] [INFO ] - User Blocked: c:\programdata\kaspersky lab\avp18.0.0\data\patchmanagement\download_storage\5596ba383818988b7010ac9a61662f6361051be61c9e5d7bc892c06d6ef791b3_qbittorrent_3.3.16_setup.exe
[09-08-2017 13:18:17] [INFO ] - Process blocked by User Clicking Block: c:\programdata\kaspersky lab\avp18.0.0\data\patchmanagement\download_storage\5596ba383818988b7010ac9a61662f6361051be61c9e5d7bc892c06d6ef791b3_qbittorrent_3.3.16_setup.exe

I'm pretty sure I did not click block, or even get a notification. Is one of the standard rules doing this? At the time Kaspersky was trying to install a program update.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
"It's so bad for me that I'll have to go back to v. 3.59. I cannot realistically use v. 4.01b because of this conhost.exe message that freezes the PC."

Do you have this running in task manager? If so maybe another program is running a command prompt. Which version windows?

Rainwalker

Level 1
Sep 7, 2017
I have to stay with 3.59. Tried various options with 4.0 and 4.01. Nothing but problems. I have never had smooth sailing with 3.59, but with a little inconvenience it worked. I was not able to switch accounts without first opening VS in the admin account then prior to switching accounts I had to disable VS. Once in the other account all was fine after enabling VS, but I had to once again disable VS before going back to admin account. This disabling/switching dance would not work with 4.01; meaning I had to surf in admin account if I intended to use VS.

vonvon

Level 2
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
The excessive CPU looks like a loop. multiple firefox's tabs open or Opera's tabs open ... excessive CPU use and almost freeze.
VS whitelisted on my antivirus and my firewall (Dr.Web security space)... I continue to search.

Reactions: plat1098

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Found a way to VS to forget the registration again:
VS had high CPU use. I stopped VS by right click on tray icon and choose exit. Then I went in the task manager and stopped the VoodooShieldService.
After starting VS again trough the start menu I was asked to register.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
How many people know that VodooShield has a proper section with trygonometrics function inside him?
Guess what is the purpose of using atan function :)
I think the math is done for the score thing, but I maybe wrong.

Last edited:
P

plat1098

Edge browser/Emsisoft Antimalware/VoodooShield 4.01/Windows Creators all updates. VS and EAM are excluded and whitelisted to one another.

Got the CPU loop via Automatic Maintenance kicking in last time. @lowdetection : when I get VS beta to stay on here without borks or silently running the "free" version after rebooting machine x # of times, I will try to figure this out. lol!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm using Google Chrome 61.0.3163.79 / Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2017.8.0.7904 / VoodooShield 4.01b / Windows 10 Home version 1703 build 15063.540.
Is Dan testing on Windows 10 ?
On his profile it says Windows 8.1 as OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

vonvon

Level 2
Verified
Nov 25, 2014

Chrome/Firefox/Opera browsers - VoodooShield 4.01 - Windows 10 Creators all updates - Dr.Web security space 11 - WinPatrol 35.5 - ibVPN

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Installed 4.01b and, so far, no appearance of the high cpu use I was experiencing constantly in 4.0b :)
I have a c:\ProgramData\Voodooshield folder, which contains all the settings and data files for VS.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Yes, I mean there is plenty of trigonmetric functions, now I don't know if those are used by the algorythms to display the score, but I like it.

Reactions: plat1098

DotNet

Level 1
Verified
Sep 4, 2017
It's so bad for me that I'll have to go back to v. 3.59. I cannot realistically use v. 4.01b because of this conhost.exe message that freezes the PC.
The conhost.exe is a different software program conflict (fingers crossed). I have encountered the exact same issue in the past & cannot recall which software it is exactly, as I no longer use it. If you list what software you have installed & your system specs, I would be happy to help track it down with you.

Last edited:

DotNet

Level 1
Verified
Sep 4, 2017
Beta testing security software requires a virgin system, no reg cleaners, no hacks, no active security software. Less is better, as security software can conflict with just about anything & everything, especially other security software. Conflicts result in strange issues that are hard to narrow down & waste time & recede hair lines. CPU usage issue is resolved by right clicking the tray & exiting the program. After restarting it the CPU usage is nominal.
I have been testing software for over 15 yrs & have Excedrine Migraine to prove it. I have crashed everything you can imagine from Windows 2000 to present. There isn't an OS built that I can't crash!
p.s.: crash & learn from.

Last edited:

cutting_edgetech

Level 3
Verified
Feb 14, 2013
Beta testing security software requires a virgin system, no reg cleaners, no hacks, no active security software. Less is better, as security software can conflict with just about anything & everything, especially other security software. Conflicts result in strange issues that are hard to narrow down & waste time & reseed hair lines. CPU usage issue is resolved by right clicking the tray & exiting the program. After restarting it the CPU usage is nominal.
I have been testing software for over 15 yrs & have Excedrine Migraine to prove it.
One approach you can take is start out with a system without any other security software on it, and use the beta build for several days. Then if all goes well you can add one security app to your setup. Then if all goes well (after running them together for several days) you can add one more security app to your setup. I wouldn't recommend adding anymore after that without rolling back your system. Beta App + 2 is my rule of thumb limit. Also the reason for rolling the system back instead of uninstalling is because uninstalled applications can make changes to the system that can cause problems for other applications later on. When you add only one security app at a time, and run them together for several days it's much easier to narrow down the problem. This method will not work well though if beta builds are being released too often.

Edited: 9/8/17 8:39

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.