Not open for further replies.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
No such directory at home.

C:\ProgramData\VoodooShield directory)
I see some are reporting this, strange, but I do have that directory. I would clean reinstall. But yes, it could likely be interference from another security soft.

Last edited:
Reactions: lowdetection

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
"It's so bad for me that I'll have to go back to v. 3.59. I cannot realistically use v. 4.01b because of this conhost.exe message that freezes the PC."

Do you have this running in task manager? If so maybe another program is running a command prompt. Which version windows?
I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1703 v. 15063.540. I see three "Console Window host" entries in Task Manager, if these are what it's about. Also, I do have an open cmd prompt. However, I had no problem with VS 3.59 under the same conditions.

EDIT: Gone back to v. 3.59b for a more peaceful experience, for a while!

Last edited:

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
Too many forums with posts about the beta with users who are running other security software &

The conhost.exe is a different software program conflict (fingers crossed). I have encountered the exact same issue in the past & cannot recall which software it is exactly, as I no longer use it. If you list what software you have installed & your system specs, I would be happy to help track it down with you.
Please see my post here.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1703 v. 15063.540. I see three "Console Window host" entries in Task Manager, if these are what it's about. Also, I do have an open cmd prompt. However, I had no problem with VS 3.59 under the same conditions.

EDIT: Gone back to v. 3.59b for a more peaceful experience, for a while!
Same here. :cool:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
CPU usage issue is resolved by right clicking the tray & exiting the program. After restarting it the CPU usage is nominal
If only it was that simple for everyone. Upgrading to 4.01b resolved the issue for me.

Update: cpu problem not fixed. Created rule to allow Sophos autoupdate to try and remove issue.

I'm testing VS on a laptop with other security software installed. VS is designed to complement Anti-Malware software, so it's certainly valid to beta test with both installed. How else is Dan going to identify and resolve compatibility issues?

Last edited:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Are you sure, have you waited long enough? Because it does seem sporadic here ...

Also, Mark, what mode are you running?
I only ran it for a few hours, but with 4.0 the high cpu occurred within minutes of starting VS and opening a few applications. Not a definitive test I admit but encouraging nonetheless.
I run VS in Always On mode, with default deny enabled so I'm prompted for anything I haven't whitelisted, except for programs in trusted folders.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I only ran it for a few hours, but with 4.0 the high cpu occurred within minutes of starting VS and opening a few applications. Not a definitive test I admit but encouraging nonetheless.
I run VS in Always On mode, with default deny enabled so I'm prompted for anything I haven't whitelisted, except for programs in trusted folders.
OK, thanks. Tested exiting and restarting in Smart mode, but VS is at 23% straight away. It's always fine in Training mode, and so far in Autopilot (at least not straight away), and even after a prompt - will keep an eye on it.

Reactions: askmark

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
OK, thanks. Tested exiting and restarting in Smart mode, but VS is at 23% straight away. It's always fine in Training mode, and so far in Autopilot (at least not straight away), and even after a prompt - will keep an eye on it.
I'm curious, how many cores does that PC have?
Also have you used Process Explorer to check what Voodooshield.exe is doing when you have high cpu? For me I was seeing 4 threads using about 5% each.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I'm curious, how many cores does that PC have?
Also have you used Process Explorer to check what Voodooshield.exe is doing when you have high cpu? For me I was seeing 4 threads using about 5% each.
Two cores. Will check out Process Explorer next time.

Switched to Smart mode now, and CPU usage didn't jump :rolleyes:.

Edit: CPU back up to 21%. Just the one thread in Process Explorer.
Again, switching from Smart mode to Autopilot and CPU usage disappears.

Edit 2: Scrap that. CPU usage back up again, even with VS in Disable / Install Mode now.

Last edited:
P

plat1098

I'm testing VS on a laptop with other security software installed. VS is designed to complement Anti-Malware software, so it's certainly valid to beta test with both installed. How else is Dan going to identify and resolve compatibility issues?

Yes, otherwise we'd be alpha testers, right? Doing regular computer stuff on that machine, which means one additional security software on a clean-installed Windows 10.

By the way, if only for my clarification, "directory" is another term for the file cabinet of the software so the VoodooShield folder in ProgramData is the directory.

Directory (computing) - Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:

ozone

Level 3
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
I've updated from 3.59b to 4.01b and have following problems:
no startup after reboot
high CPU usage when in smart mode (in autopilot none)
sometimes VS (VoodooShield.exe) will crash in smart mode
smart mode won't use rules, each time Cent browser (chromium-based) create new child process I have to allow them again,
sometimes some settings are ignored (e.g. "Automatically allow by parent process" even though it's enabled it will be ignored)

also if I am in settings I can't interact with prompts unless I close settings windows

Reactions: frogboy and askmark

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Yes, otherwise we'd be alpha testers, right? Doing regular computer stuff on that machine, which means one additional security software on a clean-installed Windows 10.

By the way, if only for my clarification, "directory" is another term for the file cabinet of the software so the VoodooShield folder in ProgramDate is the directory.

Directory (computing) - Wikipedia

Yes a programdate would be a female android. lol
ProgramData is what I would call the main or parent directory ( folder ) and the Voodooshield directory ( folder ) is a sub directory of the ProgramData. Does that make sense? I guess I made the assumption mistake again. I thought everyone was from the days of DOS. I always click on a folder in Windows and click view. The default mode is to not allow you to see hidden folders, which ProgramData is. And so that is why you won't see the dir (folder ) using the cmd command unless you set that dir's attribs to let you see it.
Right click on the start menu and click on command prompt. Now type dir /p with space after dir.

dir (command) - Wikipedia

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Checked my laptop this afternoon after leaving it on overnight and found the CPU constantly at 28%.

Interestingly in Process Hacker, Voodooshield.exe, had about 20 threads using just over 1% cpu each.

I checked the developer.log log and noticed some exception errors relating to Sophos and its autoupdate process. After killing VS and restarting it again I added a rule to allow the folder Sophos starts the update from. Hopefully this will solve the high cpu problem. We shall see.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Is everyone with high CPU usage using Firefox?

Maybe it would help if people listed their browser and security software and the version Windows.
I had intermittent high CPU with Chrome stable build on Windows 10 x64 CU stable build.

Reactions: frogboy

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Left computer off overnight, the only issue this morning is high CPU. Exit VS to restart and fix the issue, guess what, it is asking for registration.
The good things is that it kept my settings at registration compleation.

Slimjet browser
W10x64
WD
MBAE
VS Smart mode

To Dan:
An intersting suggestion from @Baldrick at Wilders:
"What would be useful is that if the rule create prompt is left at 'Create Rule' VS creates a rule based on the defaults considered safest...that way the rules are created by the lesser experienced user or one who does not want to or have to to create a rule gets the benefit of the VS logic. Just a thought."

BTW: What happen when I ignore to create rules (as I do because I can't get my head around it)?

Last edited:

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Constant VS high CPU readings today. Exit and restart VS only momentarily fix it.

Last edited:
P

plat1098

Has anyone gotten a decisive handle on the registration box popping up and/or VS silently running the free version? Tried pretty much everything, including everything here:

VoodooShield discussion

Tried Autopilot, tried Smart. Clicked "save," "reset," exit, reboot, etc. It was getting on my nerves so I reinstalled 3.59 again. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Yes a programdate would be a female android. lol

Yep, OK, corrected.

Aug 26, 2017
So i've been using 4.01 for 3 days so far and the only problem I've noticed is when i connect to a vpn server it makes the vpn idle until i completely close down voodooshield then it connects. Same as when i disconnect from a server. It's not a big deal shutting down voodooshield but thought id mention it

Reactions: simmerskool

Wolfsbane

Level 1
Sep 6, 2017
In Event Viewer I get VoodooShieldService: "Service cannot be started. The service process could not connect to the service controller."
A previously mentioned error message regarding the exception was also cut off and I couldn't find any error message in the developer log. Just the token json file spawned in TEMP and some xml files with the VoodooShieldService error message.

I deleted files in TEMP and registration issue appeared again, followed by a snapshot. Previous settings are retained.

Any reason why the token is spawned in TEMP instead of ProgramData?

Steps to replicate:
1. Close VoodooShield
2. delete the token in TEMP
3. Start VoodooShield
4. Get prompt to register

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.