Not open for further replies.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hmmm, interesting, thank you for letting me know. I am not sure why the token is stored in the temp folder... either Alex or MS thought that was the best place for it. I really am not that familiar with the registration code... but I am getting there ;). I am not good with web stuff, and never will be ;).

I believe the token issue is fixed, although I have one other bug that is driving me absolutely nuts that is right after the token code... I think Alex will be able to figure it out in a matter of minutes. The CPU utilization issue should be fixed as well... it was silly mistake on my part. It happens ;).

So I am going to try to contact Alex, and if he can look at this last big bug soon, then I will wait to release 4.02. Otherwise, if it looks like it will take awhile to figure out this last bug, then I will release 4.02 with the CPU utilization and other issues resolved.

Thank you guys!

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Here is a quick update... I finally figured out the token issue that was so baffling, once and for all.

It turns out, VS and the VoodooShieldService was starting on Windows Startup / Login before the computer had the ability to get the token, hehehe, so the code was correct. So basically I just have VS retry every .2 seconds until it can get the token.

This is soooo typical of bugs... it is almost always something silly.

Anyway, I am going to run VS for a few more hours and make sure there are no exceptions / errors on my test machines, and then I should be able to release 4.02 in a few hours... thank you guys!

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Here is a quick update... I finally figured out the token issue that was so baffling, once and for all.

It turns out, VS and the VoodooShieldService was starting on Windows Startup / Login before the computer had the ability to get the token, hehehe, so the code was correct. So basically I just have VS retry every .2 seconds until it can get the token.

This is soooo typical of bugs... it is almost always something silly.

Anyway, I am going to run VS for a few more hours and make sure there are no exceptions / errors on my test machines, and then I should be able to release 4.02 in a few hours... thank you guys!

Nice! Glad to hear about this @danb ! Keep up your great work.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Here is 4.02… I think most of the major bugs are fixed, but if not, please let me know.

In order for VS to run properly… please uninstall 4.01, and when the uninstaller asks you “Would you like to delete all of the VoodooShield settings and logs”, please click yes.

Then reboot the computer and then install 4.02.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but there was no way around it. We are pretty much out of the woods now, and I believe there are only around 3-4 small bugs that I need to fix, which I should be able to wrap up in the next day or two.

Also, VS should automatically register your computer after you install, but you will need to enter your password at some point… so if you see the following message, this is expected.

www.voodooshield.com/Download/beta4/PasswordNotStored.PNG

Or you can go into Settings / Register, and enter your password and click the Confirm Registration button, then you will not see that message.

If we can wrap up the beta test in a few days, that will be really cool. We just started the beta test a week ago today, so if you ask me, things went pretty well overall .

Thank you guys for your help!

www.voodooshield.com/Download/beta4/InstallVoodooShield402beta.exe

BTW, the first page of the installer says it is VS 4.01b… just ignore that, I will fix that next time… it is correct everywhere else.

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Just been tappin my toes waiting, Thanks Danb
Sure, thank you guys! The download link is in the above message ;).

BTW, if you guys post a link to the download anywhere, please make sure that everyone is aware that they need to uninstall VS 4.00 / 4.01 first... in the way I described above. Otherwise, VS will probably run very, very poorly. Users who upgrade from 3.59 will not have this issue... it is hard to explain ;).

P

plat1098

A tiny question about 3.59 release: logged into my web account and finalized the machine names; however, on the 3.59 interface the name is Desktop followed by a bunch of characters. How do you fix that?

Here on the workstation with the beta, it's showing properly, as an example:

vs mach name.PNG

Clean-installed 4.02 beta, just asked for password, that's it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: simmerskool

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Here is 4.02… I think most of the major bugs are fixed, but if not, please let me know.
The service started w/o error on reboot, but NOT the program. Rebooting again now.

EDIT: Same result on second boot. Program does not autostart, Service does.

EDIT2: FWIW, no reg entry in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Last edited:

Mr.Gump

Level 1
Sep 6, 2017
uninstalled 3.59 for 402b. Service starts with reboot but not the taskbar icon or GUI. Other than that its running great. Windows 10 64bt

Reactions: shmu26

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
That is great to hear to VS is running well, thank you guys for letting me know! We are getting close!

Now we just need to figure out why the Service is not starting VS for some people ;).

What happens if you exit out of the VS gui, then manually stop the service, and then manually start the service (or just simply restart the service)? Doing this should start the service and the VS gui. If it does not, I can add some logging to figure out why... there might already be some logged events.

Also, are you guys running as a standard user? UAC? Region settings in Windows Control Panel?

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
What happens if you exit out of the VS gui, then manually stop the service, and then manually start the service (or just simply restart the service)?
Restarting the service, starts the program gui. I have an administrator account. Win8.1-64 bit

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
There's wonkiness in the notification countdown (20 seconds). Once the countdown begins, it randomly reverts again to 20 along the way, stalls for a few seconds and then starts over. I just had a notification pop-up that counted down from 20 to 6, back again to 20, resumed countdown until it reached 12, then back to 20 again where it stayed maybe 10 seconds before I x'd it closed.

Then I relaunched the same program, and there was no notification, and now the whitelist says "auto-allowed". Weird?

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Fresh install of Windows 7 hp 64bit, fully updated, installed voodoosheild, no issues. Been waiting for this , no cpu spikes, using free version, forgive me, it was having trouble shutting down smoothly before, no problem now. Appreciate your dedication to this application, I love it.

Reactions: simmerskool

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
There's wonkiness in the notification countdown (20 seconds). Once the countdown begins, it randomly reverts again to 20 along the way, stalls for a few seconds and then starts over. I just had a notification pop-up that counted down from 20 to 6, back again to 20, resumed countdown until it reached 12, then back to 20 again where it stayed maybe 10 seconds before I x'd it closed.

Then I relaunched the same program, and there was no notification, and now the whitelist says "auto-allowed". Weird?
Cool, thank you guys! When I get a chance, I will respond to the posts I need to respond to individually.

On the prompts... if you mouse over the prompts, the countdown timer will reset to 20... this is so the user can pause the countdown timer so they can view all of the details and file insight. Is this what you mean?

I am not sure about the auto allowed item... but if you look at the DeveloperLog.log in the c:\programdata\voodooshield folder, it should tell you why it was allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.