Status
Not open for further replies.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
So for the n00b in me with VS, where to begin? I have it installed, everything default at the moment. How to lock it down etc? Thanks.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hi Troops.
Default is what Dan use. I do that too. If you like to go in depth others may chip in.
Yeah Trooper, there really is not much to do... a lot of people like to run VS on AutoPilot for a day or so, then switch to Smart Mode. There are a lot of advanced features, but you will get the hang of them.

Cool, thank you Vecchio, I think I figured out why some people were having an issue. Let me guess... your internet connection is either wireless or not stable for some reason? There were 3-4 bugs left that I could not track down, then once I disabled my internet connection, they magically appeared when I was debugging VS, and they were all easy fixes. I am going to run VS over night and add some logging to the startup issue in the AM, then release 4.03 sometime tomorrow if everything goes according to plan... we are almost there, thank you guys!

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Let me guess... your internet connection is either wireless or not stable for some reason? There were 3-4 bugs left that I could not track down, then once I disabled my internet connection, they magically appeared when I was debugging VS, and they were all easy fixes. I am going to run VS over night and add some logging to the startup issue in the AM, then release 4.03 sometime tomorrow if everything goes according to plan... we are almost there, thank you guys!

Yes I have a wireless connection;)

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Cool, thank you Vecchio, I think I figured out why some people were having an issue. Let me guess... your internet connection is either wireless or not stable for some reason? There were 3-4 bugs left that I could not track down, then once I disabled my internet connection, they magically appeared when I was debugging VS, and they were all easy fixes. I am going to run VS over night and add some logging to the startup issue in the AM, then release 4.03 sometime tomorrow if everything goes according to plan... we are almost there, thank you guys!
Another wireless user here. (y)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@danb: I use a wired internet connection, but it does conk out at times. I did not have registration issues, only start up issues.

@Trooper: the most popular "lockdown" tweak is to disable parent/child permission, although IMHO this is not necessary, because it is already disabled by default for sensitive locations. You will get enough command line prompts to keep you happy, even without disabling this setting.
Another tweak you can do is add to the default list of web apps. I added MS Word, although I am still awaiting @danb's opinion on whether that was a wise move or not.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Since VT blocked accesses from my country VS in auto pilot mode doesn't work and can't show anything :)
I have to use VPN if I want to see vs reputation, is there anything that you can do for this?

Last edited:
P

plat1098

Wow, yeah VS 4.02 didn't block any Windows updates here. Remembered reg. also, and just to say, I did have an Ethernet issue around the time of the last reg. problems, so good thing that's resolved. On the other hand, following a new winver of 15063.608, Internet Explorer got an icky makeover, right?

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
VT blocked a lot of Windows 10 updates today. I am running the latest beta of version 4. Also, had to re-register after the updates completed just FYI.
Hmmm, very odd... were you performing a manual Windows update? For several versions now, Windows closes all of the running programs and performs the update, so the automatic update should work fine. I will check it out either way, it is an easy fix.

Do you have a few paths of items that were blocked... that would be very helpful, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.